Herb Sevush
Forum Replies Created
-
Herb Sevush
November 7, 2013 at 9:08 pm in reply to: Better snap up those Mac Pro towers while ye may[Andy Branner] ” I’m clearly a… wait… oh yeah… slow, bonehead idiot who’s posts need p*ssing on”
Finally — something we can all agree on.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
November 7, 2013 at 4:34 pm in reply to: Better snap up those Mac Pro towers while ye may[Andy Branner] “t at the point where I have to explain what a thread is actually about “
Which is a nice point since you are the one to hi-jack this thread with this response to the initial post –
“[David Roth Weiss] “For those of you who do need workstations with PCIe slots”
[Andy Branner]For what again? I forget.”followed by your diatribe about the technological death of everything not Apple
[Andy Branner] “you’re saying that spending several thousand on a dead, technically outdated and inferior (on so many levels) machine”
And as it’s way over the top to expect a coherent defense of those remarks from you – yes “out” is a good way to go.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
November 7, 2013 at 3:53 pm in reply to: Better snap up those Mac Pro towers while ye may[Andy Branner] “I’m so happy for the PCs. Just too bad that I never once spoke of CPUs, speed or HPs or that the Mac Pro is somehow the best, fastest, greatest one size fits all yadda yadda yadda on the planet,”
Pardon my misunderstanding. When you said the following –
[Andy Branner]” … a dead, technically outdated and inferior (on so many levels) machine”
I assumed you were talking about PC’s, and by inference the Mac Pro was “undead, technically superior and technically futuristic.”
So instead of my false assumptions let me simply ask you what are these technical superiorities (obviously not computational speed) that you were referring too. Small footprint, lower power consumption, the fact that it’s round, the Apple logo?
[Andy Branner] “And guess what… little secret for ya… you’re actually not required to buy a new Mac Pro!! You actually can CHOOSE anything that strikes your fancy and gives you those so direly needed 4×32 core CPUs and eight PCI slots for those GPUs!”
I know, I figured that one out all by myself.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
November 7, 2013 at 1:27 pm in reply to: Better snap up those Mac Pro towers while ye may[Andy Branner] “Feel free to actually back that up with some actual, tangible data and not just the usual ad hominem rant and worn straw men sitting on a slippery slope…”
It would be nice if you actually understood words and phrases like ad hominem and strawman, but I guess that’s too much to expect.
Any PC workstation can have multiple CPUs, meaning twice as many cores as even the highest end Tube, meaning better performance. Any PC workstation can have more GPUs than the Tube, meaning better performance. Because the Tube is limited by design it cannot compete with higher end PC workstations. I know my math is suspect but 2 is twice as large as 1 the last time I looked.
You can argue that almost no editor needs more speed than the Tube can provide, but you can’t reasonably argue that the fastest Tube is as fast as a loaded HP, ProMax, Boxx or any other PC workstation. The Tube isn’t as fast and it isn’t as expandable because Tbolt 2 max’s out at 8x and GPU’s still require 16x slots.
The Tube’s design traded speed, flexibility and expandability for lower power consumption and a smaller footprint, although both of those are slightly mitigated once you add in the space and power requirements of Tbolt to PCIe boxes.
The Tube is a perfect Apple device – love it as it is or leave it alone.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
November 7, 2013 at 12:53 pm in reply to: Better snap up those Mac Pro towers while ye may[Andy Branner] “So just so I get where you’re coming from, you’re saying that spending several thousand on a dead, technically outdated and inferior (on so many levels) machine merely to “protect” (most likely) outdated PCI cards from yesteryear that (most likely) could be replaced by USB/TBo counterparts for (most likely) a few hundred bucks, is not only recommendable, but also sensible economics and makes for a “pro” rig?”
Most any top end PC workstation will blow the doors off Apple’s little tomato can semi-workstation using any methodology you could care to come up with. Only in your world is lack of speed, lack of choice, and lack of connectivity an improvement. The Tube may well be an excellent choice for many, depending on the price points and models, but it is a constricted narrow environment suitable mostly for those addicted to the limitations Apple loves to provide. Spending several thousand dollars on a machine that embeds it’s GPU’s, no matter how fast, is a certainty that in 3 years time you will be owning an anchor to the past.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Herb Sevush
November 6, 2013 at 9:42 pm in reply to: Better snap up those Mac Pro towers while ye may[Oliver Peters] “Apple will have to continue to be able to service these units, but not necessarily in a timely manner, now that they are EOL’ed.”
Hopefully that will help the resale value of my Tower if I opt for a Tube.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
Thanks for posting that, it works beautifully. But again, only for one interviewee.
which reminds me of a story (I can see my son rolling his eyes…)
Years ago in the days of 1″ we did a really boring corporate spot with the very stiff and boring VP of some stiff and boring company I have long since forgotten the name of. No cutaways, no nothing, just a 3 minute speech direct to camera using a teleprompter. After the shoot we get a call from the client that we have to remove one of the product names from the middle of the speech. Of course the client didn’t understand what the difficulty with this jump cut would be. What to do?
We had some plans, an ADO blow up that zooms back to full frame as we fly some Chyron junk out to distract the viewer at the cut point being the most prominent, but when the session started we first just made the cut full frame and Boom – it’s invisible.
This VP was so stiff and stationary you couldn’t see the jump cut.
Not believing my eyes, I pulled everyone in the facility into the studio, one at a time, to show them the piece and no one saw the cut. After watching it a few dozen times I could see a little waggle in the bottom of his tie, but that was it.
One of my favorite moments in video.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Simon Ubsdell] “For me, FCP7 is still unbeatable and the NLE I spend most of my time working in – there are just too many deep advantages for me to forsake it just yet. Oliver Peters wrote a tremendously good piece about this recently.”
Yes, good article, the lack of batch export, timecode displays and the lack of media trimming would be a PITA for me. Not a deal breaker but a PITA none the less.
[Simon Ubsdell] “The big problem with finding a replacement, is that Legacy was just too darn good.
And it wasn’t that good.”Great line, I shall use it with glee, but without attribution.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[James Ewart] ” when a free trial is at your disposal why not give it a whirl?”
As I tried to explain, I believe I only get one free trial, and if I get it now when I don’t have the time to really give it a full test then I won’t be able to get it in March when I will have the time. I work on a yearly schedule that runs from May to May, and even if I determined that X was perfect for my needs I still wouldn’t be able to implement it into a workflow that is almost half way through 26 half hour episodes. Patience is a virtue.
An old joke goes this way – A young bull and an old bull are standing on a hill, overlooking a valley full of cattle when the young bull says “hey, why don’t we run down the hill and f*ck us a cow” to which the old bull says “son, why don’t we walk down the hill and f*ck them all.”
[James Ewart] “You are posting just to annoy? Wow are you that bored?”
Apparently you don’t get my humor, but no I’m not that bored.
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf -
[Simon Ubsdell] “your “ignorant questions” are far more incisive and enlightening than a host of other contributions.”
To fess up, that was a paid advertisement.
As an OT matter of interest, as one of the original X skeptics and then later a template creator for X, where is your workflow at now Simon – FCPX full time, NLE bigamist or what?
Just askin’
Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
—————————
nothin’ attached to nothin’
“Deciding the spine is the process of editing” F. Bieberkopf