OK . . . . Taking a very deep breathe . . .
You are NOT seeing Interlace. You ARE seeing nasty artifacts that APPEAR to be like interlace artifacts, when in actual fact ( another deep breathe here . . ) this is the way M-JPEG works. Here’s the thing: M-JPEG does not work like other CODECS, it is an intraframe-only compression scheme and unlike other CODECS MPEG1, MPEG2 and H.264/MPEG-4 AVC which can get to 1:50 or even higher success, M-JPEG’s limits its efficiency to 1:20 or lower, depending on the values of spatial artifacting in the compressed output. So “smooth” curves (the chap’s shoulders) and general soft detail will not be processed as well as the more predictive-capable interframe options. Smooth curves (his shoulders) that move are worse than stationary detail that doesn’t.
Do try rendering to another CODEC to test this “theory” and report back.
[Craig Newman] “”Why does Vegas and Premiere refuse to render the film as progressive, even though the source files and projects are set up as progressive?””
I can’t speak to Premmie, but Vegas tends to do what it is told to do. And stealing from Forest Gump here: Progressive IS what Progressive DOES.
All of this – I believe – is a result of that M-JPEG trying very hard to make a fist of those “soft” curves. Strong, contrasty detail, it’s fine, really look hard at your footage, I can see it, so you should be able to too.
[Craig Newman] “”What’s the point in interlaced existing in 2013 when progressive is pretty much agreed to be better all-around?””
I can’t fault your wish for “another” option, but again, – deep breathe – you’ve based your whole approach on the fault of the industry not getting rid of the “interlace” artefacts, when this isn’t the case.
Look, I too share your mystification over this stuff, and I would truly appreciate a simpler way of doing, which is what we are meant to do – be creative – but these are the tools we are having to use. As we are “here”, and not “there” I need to temper my enthusiasm for something BETTER against what I have.
I honestly hope that what I’ve written makes sense and is of value to you.
Cheers
Grazie
Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge