Forum Replies Created

Page 466 of 525
  • Gary Adcock

    January 1, 2006 at 3:06 am in reply to: Updating FCP/Mac Editing system for HVX-200

    [Bettsy] “You will in fact need a G5 to play back DVCProHD footage – I would suggest a dual processor or dual core. My 1.6 G5 iMac won’t handle the job despite the fact the screen has the rez.”

    Not true – My I.67ghz laptop is quite enough for playing back DVCPROHD of all flavors and My I gig tibook was prior to that. I have been working in DVCPROHD since before it was available to the public and I have always had it on my desk.

    Saying that – remember that I only use it for cuts or ingest. I do the major part of my work on state of the art desktops with more storage than most people ever see ( currently over 20T on fibre).
    But I do not know what I would do if I was not able to do my day to day work (cuts mind you) on my trusty powerbook.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    December 31, 2005 at 9:47 pm in reply to: Yet another media puzzle

    [Glen Hurd] “I don’t know why this matters, so I’d still be curious if there are any opinions on why this didn’t matter with FAT32.”

    maybe ‘casue it is a legal character for file names in Windows but not under Unix?

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    December 31, 2005 at 4:28 pm in reply to: Traveling on Airlines with my Varicam

    [leaknoil] “Most of that stuff will just need to be set again I’d think. Just taking everything apart to get it into carry on luggage would probably require doing it all over. Not an expert on alignment (hence why I’m thinking about taking the workshop) but, backfocus for sure.”

    Yeah, you do need to take it.
    Your camera is a very well disguised Ferrari that masquerades as a utility vehicle.

    If it’s your camera –all of those settings can be saved and called up later, while white shading is lens specific, the majority of the rest of the settings are indeed savable. Different looks, color and gamma settings and then go back to your (generic) starting point.

    “What toys do they usually have to try out at these things ? How many people bring their own cameras usually ? “

    TOYS???? damn near everything you can think of that will fit on it.
    Fujinon brings lots of lenses, Telecast Remote fibre, Filters from Schneider, Add ons from AJA, DSC, IDX, Century Optics, Leader, Bron, etc . All there for you to play with.

    I bring an entire post suite so people understand the power of what a Kona board and an FCP workstation means with Varicam DVCPROHD content. (I am the Post instructor at the Varicamps)

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    December 31, 2005 at 4:06 pm in reply to: conversion

    [martin] “Whats the best conversion. Using the HVX200 Shooting 24fps. So convert from 24fps to 25fps pal.”

    The 24fps to 25fps workflow has been around awhile, it has been set standard for conversion from film materials for over FOUR decades.
    AVID Apple, Quantel, Discreet and nearly all others support that conversion natively.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    December 31, 2005 at 3:56 pm in reply to: P2 workflow

    [Yogifilm] “The systems are identical osx 10.4.3 FCP 5.0, the cable has been checked.
    The systems both accept the P2 drive in the “about this mac” the card reader AJ-PCD10 is flashing LED

  • Gary Adcock

    December 30, 2005 at 10:42 pm in reply to: HVR-Z1U HD vs. HVX200

    [jiri vrozina] “will You post some test results regarding HVX 200??”

    I will be posting some of my tests and results when the Cow magazine article hits the news stands later this spring.
    Some of the news will be old by then. some will not be.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    December 30, 2005 at 10:38 pm in reply to: Traveling on Airlines with my Varicam

    [leaknoil] “OT a bit but, why bring the camera to Varicamp ?”

    So you can tune your own camera with tools you may never get to use like Collimators for adjusting back focus or a current DSC charts with HD scopes.

    Not to mention if trying out all the toys on your own gear.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    December 30, 2005 at 10:30 pm in reply to: P2 workflow

    [Yogifilm] “So you think Ill have to wait for the firmware upgrade from panasonic?
    I got the P2 driver for PCMCIA from Panasonic.”

    you say one is a laptop and one is a desktop – are you positive that the hardware and software versions are the same?
    does the card reader work when attached to the laptop?
    is there anything else between the P2 reader and the G5 plug direct into the machine
    be sure the cable works.

    FCP 4.5 and later have supported P2 in standard def. I am assuming that you are working in PAL but that should not be an issue.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    December 30, 2005 at 10:19 pm in reply to: P2 workflow

    [Shane Ross] “Mac support for the P2 card working with PCMCIA won’t happen until the camera is released, and that it will come as a firmware update from Panasonic. Then it is as simple as pluging it in an dusing FCP to import and convert it to DVCPRO HD MOVs.”

    This all actually came in the FCP 5.04 update, and is required for the P2’s HD functions. The import from P2 actually just strips off the metadata and leaves the DVCPROHD behind in your capture scratch folder.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    December 30, 2005 at 10:10 pm in reply to: HVR-Z1U HD vs. HVX200

    [Kevin Wild] “The SONY deck will play Canon’s 1080i just fine, which is what MUCH of the work I do will be shot at. So, there are “supporting decks” for this camera. Yes, the 24 and 30F modes are currently not supported, but it won’t be long, so let’s not go overboard on the idea this camera has “limited use in the post world.””

    This has not been my experience, I have been unable to get the 2 different Canon H1 Tapes I shot at 1080i60 to play in any deck. I have tried these tapes in 3 Sony decks without success – but they play fine in the 2 cameras I tried.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

Page 466 of 525

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy