Floh Peters
Forum Replies Created
-
[Andy Taplin] “I think you’re right – motion graphics I’ll still do in AFX but Shake has such a reputation that for the money they’re now asking it seems like it might be worth learning for those things where it’s better than AFX. Chromakeying for example?”
Shake comes with Primatte and Keylight as keyers. Keylight is bundled with AE7 and Primatte can be bought for AE7. So keying is not rally a reason for using Shake, exept you need to do a lot of roto work as well. But you
-
[Andy Taplin] “I’m using AFX of course and i know it pretty well, what’s the Shake learning curve like with the node based interface?”
Shake is a different beast than AE, and it is designed to do a different kind of work. So depending on your needs Shake may be a very good tool, or it may be simply the wrong system. If you want to do film-class compositing, like putting together multilayer 3D-renders, or if you want to “correct” footage (like replacing something in a shot, doing heavy keying, Rotoscoping or similar) Shake is probably the better tool. On the other hand if you want to do Motion Graphics and design work you are probably much better with AE (the AE/PS integration alone is a big plus there, the AE text tools and overall amount of filters are another).
I am currently doing some work on Shake, and think that once you understand how it works it really is a great tool. But I think the range of projects you can do in AE is much bigger than the one you can (or should) do in Shake. -
Inside your Media 100 application Folder there should be a folder named “Leaders and Trailers”. Within this folder a “Programs” folder should exist, where your leaders and trailers programs should be in.
-
Did you run the hardware test application?
-
Did you run the hardware test application?
-
What kind of problem are you seeing? If you can run V8.2.2 you should have the latest encryption key installed, otherwise the application would not start at all.
-
[zamor1] “.I have an edited project in 16×9 and I’m trying to export it
or to master it in a letter box format,so I can watch it on 3×4 screen”If you want to master it as letterbox you need to render it (e.g. through AE. Export as by ref, import into AE, interpret as Widescreen, create a 4:3 composition and scale it correctly. Render and import into Media 100i, and master.
Or go through Media 100 Producer, which can conform 16:9 material to 4:3 letterbox. -
[BobP] “How well does the HDe work for creating dvds? Currently I’m exporting my media 100 programs out as reference to compressor (after a longish render) and mpeging that way. Final Cut seems a tad better in this area – or faster, at least (could be that screaming fast Mac Pro, of course!). “
The encoding time should be the same, regardingless if the material is from FCP or Media 100.
[BobP] “Does HDe handle multiple tracks of video as FCP? This is essential, I think.”
Yes, up to 99 layers. The realtime performance depends on Codec choice, system performance and layers used, but you get quite a lot of realtime power from HDe.
[BobP] “Do HDe’s effects (dissolves, blurs, color correction) work in real time or do they need to be rendered? How does it compare to FCP in this respect? On the Mac Pro FCP is quite amazing with this stuff I must say, and so I’m hoping the universal binary HDe (when it comes out) will offer similar performance.”
While I cannot speak about Intel versions right now the HDe G5 systems are pretty powerful. Many effects (even ColorFX and Transitions in Uncompressed HD) perform in realtime.
[BobP] “Has anyone used it with Producer? I would really love to be able to take projects home with me to work on a laptop (or make small changes without having to drive back into the city). This is a pretty huge advantage to FCP.”
Producer on G4 PowerBooks is not the fastest system when using the Media 100 i codec. DV-codecs are much quicker, since these codecs are more efficient CPU-performance wise. You should see big performance increases on MacBook Pros (dual core CPUs) fopr mobile editing.
[BobP] “And the BIGGEST QUESTION: Do you guys feel that Media 100 is serious about continuing to support these products? They doe seem to be revitalized these days and I hope the bug fixes and improvements will continue.”
Yes, I think so. Boris is a well-known company in this industry, and I don
-
[Jim Calahan] “If you need to upconvert it can be an issue as the HDe doesn’t up convert SD to HD, 720 to 1080, etc.”
The HDe does not upconvert in hardware unlike the HDx and HD Suite, but it still can upconvert SD footage to HD using the Media 100 software. Not realtime, but relatively fast.
[Jim Calahan] “The HDx will only aquire uncompressed HD which can be a space and bandwidth issue. “
The HDx running V11.5 can also acquire into DVCProHD and MJPEG B for HD material, as the Aja-based systems.
-
Floh Peters
March 5, 2007 at 7:23 am in reply to: Media100 HD did not properly open a 8.2.2 timelineI guess you have turn on the alpha for the clips in the edit suite again.