Floh Peters
Forum Replies Created
-
Erik,
the Media 100 i systems, while being great systems at their time, are showing their age today. P2 files are not supported in these systems as a native editing format; I think the P2 format did not even exist when V8 of Media 100 was released.
Current systems can work with the native P2 files (DVCProHD for Hi Def and DV/DVCPro formats in Standard Def), which of course would be a pretty easy and quick workflow.
Still, there are some workarounds that you could use with your Media 100 i system. The P2 files are basically DV or DVCProHD files wrapped into a container format. There are tools to convert these files into other QuickTime codecs, and when installing the Media 100 i codecs on a Mac you could use this station to convert the P2 files to Media 100 i native files, which would fast-import without conversion into your Media 100 i system. Or you could use e.g. this device as a deck that you could hook up to your Media 100 i system via SDI to digitize the media files from your P2 disks like from e.g. a DigiBeta deck. Or you could import the files digitized by your Avid (or whatever) system into your Media 100 system if you have the correct codecs installed (although the conversion would be not too fast on a Media 100 i system, since it uses a hardware codec integrated into the Media 100 i P6000 board, which is pretty slow compared to todays CPUs). -
[John Twigt] “will contact M100 directly with my question, what would be the best way to do this in your opinion? I have written to them before on antother issue, but didn’t get any reaction, though. Is there someone in charge of user input or something? “
I guess as you may have noticed the guys at Media 100 are monitoring this forum 😉
-
[John Twigt] “Has anybody any experience with the JPEG2000 codec in M100 HD? Mainly in respect to import times, how long will 1 minute 1080i take to import? “
Why don´t you just try it for yourself? Simply export a 1 minute clip from Media 100 into the JPEG2000 codec, and reimport it. Then you know the exact speed for your system and your setup.
[John Twigt] “It would be great if M100 would support this natively. Is there any chance on this?”
I guess from a technical point of view this should not be too difficult. But from the techsupport side this probably is not very likely to happen. Currently it looks like all camera and equipment manufacturers are selecting a “codec of the month” randomly, and to keep up with supporting all these codecs natively would require a lot of testing and optimization, where other features would suffer. And from what I see in the market, I guess support for native HDV/MPEG2 playback, although probably more complicated than JPEG2000, would be interesting to many more people. Still, if JPEG2000 support something that would be a huge improvement for you, you definitely should get in touch with the Media 100 guys. They are listening to their users.
-
One thing you could check to see if it is your hardware is to use QuickTime player as a recorder. If you have installed 12.7.1 and the Kona drivers, and if you have QuickTime Player Pro, you should be able to capture from the Kona card. Open QuickTime players Preferences, and set the correct input format under the “Recording” tab. Then choose “New Video Recording” from the menu and look if the signal that is coming in there is good.
From what you are describing I would guess it is actually your Kona board that is broken 🙁 But usually the Aja hardware techsupport is great, and you should be able to get a new board from them (or your reseller, not sure where you bought your setup). If you bought your system directly from Media 100 you also could get in touch with their techsupport; as far as I know the Kona boards come with a 3 year warranty. -
[David Issko] “Thanks for your input Floh and I will let you know how I go in the next few hours.
“Keep us updated. Good luck with your search for the reason of your problems.
-
[jeremy Rowell] “Jeremy
QT 7.5
Media 100 HD 10.1
“Are you serious about Media 100 HD 10.1 and QuickTime 7.5? A lot of development has happened between 10.1 and the current 12.7.1, and a lot has changed in QuickTime. I would guess that some OS or QuickTime conflict with V10.1 are the cause for your performance problems.
-
[David Issko] “Could the latest OS or QT versions played havoc with my 12.5.1 causing it to become corrupt? I don’t recall downloading anything extaordinary – I’m very careful about that. I know the problems and how to fix them. I have had M100 for 13 years or so and NEVER encountered something as bad as this. I know the issues. Not this one though. “
This could be the reason, although I doubt it. As a test you could download the 12.7.1 trail version and install it to see if your problems go away with it. 12.7.1 has been approved with the latest OS and QT as far as I know (at least it is working for us). Only remember when installing 12.7.1 that you also have to install the latest Aja Kona driver for your card.
In case you have a FCP partition (it sounds like you have one), you could install the 12.7.1 there, since it does live nicely on the same partition as FCP and the Aja Kona drivers.
Btw, did you accidentally install the Kona drivers on your 12.5.1 partition? I think they could cause problems similar to the ones you are describing. Do a search in the Finder for Kona on your Media 100 startup volume. -
Try to find a SATA card that works in your G4, and connect some SATA drives to it. MacGurus seems to be a good place to find some SATA stuff for “older” systems.
Otherwise you could try to use FireWire drives, too. Most likely you will not get lossless data rates with them, though. -
[Bobby MV] “wow, does that mean that we can use the hardware by final cut studio and media100 on the same system now?”
Yes.
-
The new version 12.7 does use the “standard” Aja Kona drivers, which are not included in the installer. You can download the Kona drivers for your board on the Aja website.