Forum Replies Created

Page 179 of 282
  • Eric Santiago

    December 3, 2017 at 3:51 pm in reply to: iMac Pro or next year’s Mac Pro?

    The last few weeks had me in an HP Z840 for a feature cut on Avid.

    Spare you guys the details but I am so glad I use a platform (Mac) that doesn’t require me to keep digging into the OS just to mount or use a new app.

    Sure the HP Z840 destroys the nMP D700 in transcoding speeds but I don’t mind waiting and enjoying life while it works for me ☺

    I for one can’t wait for the new Mac Pro or to see how the iMac Pro fares.

    I say that emotionally 😉

  • Eric Santiago

    December 1, 2017 at 8:34 pm in reply to: Resolve to Avid Issues

    Thanks, Marc.
    I am so glad someone replied and approved the RED HELIUM format.

    Here are my specs:
    HP Z840, Windows 10, NVIDIA K5000, 64GB RAM
    RCX build 50, Resolve 12.5.4 and Avid MC 8.9.3 with latest AMA plugin.

    Mac Pro D700, OS X Sierra, 64GB RAM
    RCX build 50, Resolve 12.5.4 and Avid MC 8.9.3 with latest AMA plugin.

    Tempting to move up to Resolve 14.x but I am okay with the current AAF/MXF export result.
    I mean it’s not really working to my liking (read post) but it did give me an 80% proper export.
    Better than what I really wanted which was an MXF export from RCX.

  • Eric Santiago

    November 29, 2017 at 6:44 pm in reply to: Resolve to Avid Issues

    Just like life, I thought I had it all under control.
    This isn’t my first RED multi-day project.
    Prev to this was MX and DRAGON files.
    A ton of Son/Canon/BMD files as well.
    This time around, we think its an issue with the RED HELIUM files.
    Since we cant replicate the issue with MX/DRAGON files.
    I have a decent working workflow now but need to be careful with all the new issues during each export.
    To clarify, I cant use any files from MXF exports from Resolve when AutoSync is used.
    I would have tested with ProRes but the host system will be mainly Windows based.
    We used the DNxHD codec (lowest possible) and I have done round-trip tests with Resolve from Avid.
    All good so far 🙂

  • Eric Santiago

    November 29, 2017 at 4:39 pm in reply to: AutoSync WTF!

    After doing this workflow for the past week, I am learning all the quirks in Avid using the Resolve AAF/MXF export option. The following issues only occur with RED HELIUM from Resolve 12.5 into Avid MC 8.9.3 PC and Mac.

    – MXF exported Auto Sync files from Resolve do not import properly into Avid.
    – Inconsistent MXF import via AAF. You would get about 10% of the files coming in as LINKED. Those files are corrupt and tend to screw up AutoSync within Avid.
    – Using AutoSync in Avid, sub-clips that don’t work (why does it bother?) come out shorter than original MXF.

    I will add more to this later on.

    I know the RED HELIUM has been around for a year, not sure why I’m not finding anyone else out there with same issues.

  • Eric Santiago

    November 28, 2017 at 2:04 pm in reply to: Transcode Issues

    [Michael Phillips] “A Video only AAF will be fine back to Resolve. “

    Thanks, Michael!
    I did an extensive test with my Resolve MXF to Avid MC workflow.
    I took the MXF files, synced audio then placed in a sequence.
    Did that with a few odd files not from the same day folder.
    Exported AAF linke to media option and boom!
    Works in Resolve nicely.
    Now I didnt bother to try and relink the audio in Resolve since that goes to another set of hands anyway.
    I sure hope by the time I get this project back from the Director (he’s doing assembly) all the bugs with RED Helium files are resolved (pardon the pun) 🙂

  • Eric Santiago

    November 27, 2017 at 7:33 pm in reply to: DVD authoring for mac?

    If you something simple, use Toast.

  • Eric Santiago

    November 27, 2017 at 7:33 pm in reply to: DVD authoring for mac?

    Still running Encore with the latest 2018 update on both Sierra on nMP and Yosemite on cheese grater Mac Pro.
    Maybe do a re-install?

  • Eric Santiago

    November 27, 2017 at 7:31 pm in reply to: iMac Pro or next year’s Mac Pro?

    [Oliver Peters] “When everyone talks about building their own PC, they conveniently skip the cost of their own labor. Let’s say it takes you only 2 days (conservative) to build the unit and make sure all the drivers are right, make a few calls to various support numbers, etc. If you freelance and get a fairly standard rate for your time (not counting gear), you’ve just added $1K to the cost.”

    Uggh I’ve been working on this feature and spent a few days just moving data around.
    They used an HP on set and physically removed RAID sets back and forth for data management.
    All due to the fact that they had one single Thunderbolt port on that thing.
    Now, of course, I have to document every move I made with the hardware on top of the actual work of transcoding the files for assembly 😛
    Why can’t Windows just mount a damn RAID set without having to go through flaming hoops 😛
    I have never had this issue on any Mac.
    So even a well put together PC didn’t do it for me.

  • Eric Santiago

    November 27, 2017 at 7:06 pm in reply to: Transcode Issues

    Thanks again Michael.

    The MXF exports from Resolve will be used for assembly in Avid.
    Audio will be synced in Avid as well.
    However, I was planning on exporting the AAF back into Resolve for color but switch to the Helium files.
    Would that be problematic with the audio?
    I don’t plan on bringing the audio back to Resolve maybe a simple guide track.

  • Eric Santiago

    November 27, 2017 at 2:48 pm in reply to: Transcode Issues

    Thanks, Michael gonna read your blog asap!
    The 1/4 frame is that the perf workflow?
    Of the 2000 plus clips, I think maybe 80% synced in Avid using timecode.
    The rest will be done by hand.
    In the end, I had to use Resolve for the MXF export.
    My tests on both platforms didn’t quite work well.
    Using both PC/Mac Resolve 12.5, I manage to export them all in less than 4 days.
    And they seem to play nice on both sides.
    The only crappy thing is that Resolve Audio Sync and Avid export didnt work in Avid.
    The video part came in but the audio was causing errors during playback.

    Such is life ☺

    Thanks again!

Page 179 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy