Forum Replies Created

Page 108 of 169
  • David Battistella

    March 5, 2006 at 6:12 pm in reply to: Sad but True

    Noah,

    Tim is right. It’s not a typical place and it is really geared toward the exact market Panny strives to reach. Gear, is gear is gear and we can just shop around for the best prices and buy the products we want.

    I’ve tried to make an effort to support small business because I am one myself. I have to say that the level of personal service and integrity a store owner like Terry has shown over the years has been a big thing for me.

    I see Terry at FCP user group meeings, he is part of the community. To shun him insults all the good work he does and it does funnel into the (very small) community here.

    I think that whether businesses are large or small they have to have their customers at the forfront of their mind. I am sure that not all the people at Panasonic are “bottom liners”. But occasionally the “holier than thou” culture does rear it’s ugly head. It is a collection of these small oversights that can add up to disinterest.

    The beauty of the COW and these forums is that we can openly see and hear about the great or poor customer service that companies demonstrate (see Bob Zelin’s thouhgts on this in a forthcoming COW article) can affect how companies respond to their customers.

    Like you, my next purchase will probably be an HVX and I can say that I have been happy with Panasonics products, but as a customer I also like to point out where they could improve the customer service experience in this very competitive market.

    David

    Peace and Love 🙂

  • David Battistella

    March 5, 2006 at 3:45 pm in reply to: Sad but True

    Just because we all know that mom and pops get screwed are we supposed to accept that it is OK?

    I feel that this is an example of poor customer service as well. I know that Terry is an AJA and decklink dealer, that he sells many other brands. As part of their customer service AJA, SONY, JVC, DECKLINK, LOWEL, CANON, they all provide things for the store so that customers can see the product.

    I thought Panasonic took the viel off the camera long time ago?

    This is why I thiink it demonstrates no class and contempt for the very indy film makers they try so hard to sell to. Despite their efforts they aren’t in touch with that at all.

    David

    Peace and Love 🙂

  • David Battistella

    March 4, 2006 at 1:21 pm in reply to: HVX200 workflow and backup

    This thread is worth reading.

    It’s basically a primer.

    https://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?univpostid=857154&forumid=193&postid=857173&pview=t

    David

    Peace and Love 🙂

  • Bob,

    This is an absolute hunch on my part. I have no substantiated anything on this. I am basing it entirely on trends. FCP extreme, if it is going to be 2k and all of that will most likely require a very fast drive array that can handle 4:4:4 streams. That said, I hardly see apple partnering with HUGE to bring this solution, I expect they will bundle it as a Hardware/software solution to sell more machines and more xserves.

    David

    Peace and Love 🙂

  • David Battistella

    March 1, 2006 at 2:24 pm in reply to: Need RAID advice for working with Kona 2

    One other consideration.

    Do you need to protect your storage? My theory is that if I am going with a large array then I need to be running that storage in protected mode so that I can be covered in case of drive failure.

    So I have a raid with 4tb online and if a drive gos down I do not loose the data. So how importatn is your data? Think worst case scenario.

    Then there is SATA, which is cheap but unprotected. So do you want to have ten jobs on an unprotected storage raid 0 device. Riad 3 5 or 50 should be a consideration in your decision. If I loose a 400 GIG firewire job with one job on it that is one thing. If I loose 2 terabytes, that is another.

    Drives fail. Computers fail. Monitors die. tapes get headclogs. It will happen to you. It happens at one time or antoher. Until you have lost everything on a drive or a machie you never quite know the sting.

    If you go with SATA you might want to start small and build, but you have to max out the stripe to get the speed you want.

    Don’t forget RT in FCP is very dependant onthe speed of your drives as well.

    David

    Peace and Love 🙂

  • Bob,

    This might be AVID’s answer to Apple’s X-serve san strategy. It will drive their drive purchase cost down and help them stream line the technology. They might make Medea a strictly AVID produc the way X-serves serve FCP.

    The push for large broadcast sales seems to be tied to these large shared storage solutions, but it’s a bit like making cookies in large batches, they aren’t always as tasty as the small batches that moom makes. This is what makes HUGE so attractive to boutique post. Very reliable, fast, fiber based solutions in Stand alone rooms.

    Sure, it’s nice for a large group of editors to have their hands into the one big hard drive cookie jar, but you know that you are going to get soem broken pieces with everyone grabbing at the same time.

    It’s great that there will be other options out there, but i think that Apple is going to make it’s big stupid move at NAB. that will be that FCP extreme is going to be completely Apple hardware dependant. It will be X-serve raids or nothing, keeping with Apple’s history of chopping the knees of it’s own third party develoopers. so look for another editing program to pop up in the name of democracy.

    It always amazes me at how this natural greedy evolution occurs, eventually ruining great products in the name of making them better.

    David

    Peace and Love 🙂

  • David Battistella

    February 28, 2006 at 10:29 pm in reply to: Need RAID advice for working with Kona 2

    the 4210 is a tank. No looking back. Speed and reliability. With the ATTO card a very solid combo. Well worth it.

    David

    Peace and Love 🙂

  • David Battistella

    February 28, 2006 at 2:10 pm in reply to: Running a monitor for FCP 4.5

    Take the video outputs from the camera. Either S-Video or composite to the TV.

    Make sue the firewire is going to the computer.

    David

    Peace and Love 🙂

  • David Battistella

    February 28, 2006 at 2:21 am in reply to: Does the Kona family have real-time HD effects?

    PS:

    All RT in FCP is handled by the pocessors, the ram and the Drive speed.

    Most cards have liitle or no Hardware accelleration on board.

    The K2 has some acceleration for specific codecs. This is in their literature. The K2 does have DVCPRO HD hardware acceleration built in.

    David

    Peace and Love 🙂

  • David Battistella

    February 28, 2006 at 2:18 am in reply to: Does the Kona family have real-time HD effects?

    If this is all that you want to accomplish then I would suggest capturing in the DVCPRO HD codec. This will give you some RT CC in HD. It is a 1920×1080 output via hte K2 and you can do more than CC.

    You can then output that Timeliine via SDI to a HDCAM or HDCAM SR deck as a screener, no problem.

    OR

    You can create a HD DVD as a screener and do it tha way.

    If this is your end goal go with the DVCPRO HD codec and you will save yourself tim eand headaches. It looks very good too.

    David

    Peace and Love 🙂

Page 108 of 169

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy