Forum Replies Created

Page 319 of 411
  • Darby Edelen

    September 13, 2007 at 11:47 pm in reply to: CS2 vs CS3

    I can tell you that AE CS3 is able to make use of multiple cores/processors and that AE 7.0 is not. This results in noticeably increased render/preview speeds, but I can’t give you any numbers to go along with that.

    Darby Edelen
    DVD Menu Artist
    Left Coast Digital
    Aptos, CA

  • Darby Edelen

    September 13, 2007 at 11:45 pm in reply to: Rotating Stills_in 3d space_PLEASE HELP

    [Scotty] “Perhaps you’re right…I think I’ll do that but mess w/ the camera slightly to add moves and such…I think that’s what they did at Evox.com”

    I don’t think so, at least not unless the moves are very subtle.

    It’s not possible to create any new angles in AE that weren’t already photographed without getting the ‘postcards in space’ look. You are limited to zooming in/dollying in and rotating on the Z-axis.

    The Evox.com examples you mentioned most likely used cameras set up in very specific paths to simulate the motion.

    Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_time for some ideas.

    Darby Edelen
    DVD Menu Artist
    Left Coast Digital
    Aptos, CA

  • Darby Edelen

    September 13, 2007 at 11:28 pm in reply to: Convert shape path to mask path

    [Todd Kopriva] “t sounds like you’re seeing the result of leaving the default fill on the shape. You can turn the fill off or delete it to just see the shape’s stroke. Then, when you animate Trim Paths, you see something more like a write-on effect.”

    You are correct. I guess I was just excited at the prospect of animating text in without having to draw a mask in manually for the Stroke effect. I suppose if I want fills on my text I’ll have to stick to my archaic methods =)

    Darby Edelen
    DVD Menu Artist
    Left Coast Digital
    Aptos, CA

  • Darby Edelen

    September 13, 2007 at 10:02 pm in reply to: restoring/remastering old film footage – tips?

    I don’t know what your budget is, but Imagineer’s Mokey claims to be very good at this sort of thing. Of course it’s an entirely different tool, so in addition to the prohibitive cost there would be that tough learning curve.

    https://www.imagineersystems.com/products/mokey/

    Darby Edelen
    DVD Menu Artist
    Left Coast Digital
    Aptos, CA

  • Darby Edelen

    September 13, 2007 at 9:21 pm in reply to: Convert shape path to mask path

    [Todd Kopriva] “so the Trim Paths operation sees the letter as one path.”

    One path that consists of two different paths, it trims from the outer part of the path first then moves to the inner part of the path, or vice versa.

    I guess the problem I have with Trim Paths is that it gives a result wholly different from “Stroke.” It cuts the path leaving a hard line from the first vertex to whichever point on the path it has ‘trimmed’ up to. My question was: is there a way to use Trim Path in a more stroke-like manner, it seems that you implied there was.

    Darby Edelen
    DVD Menu Artist
    Left Coast Digital
    Aptos, CA

  • Darby Edelen

    September 13, 2007 at 8:27 pm in reply to: Convert shape path to mask path

    [Todd Kopriva] “as opposed to stroking the shapes and using Trim Paths and other path operations on the shape layer”

    Is there a decent way to apply a Trim Paths operation to a letter that consists of two or more paths? An ‘O’ for example? I’d like to play with shape layers more…

    Darby Edelen
    DVD Menu Artist
    Left Coast Digital
    Aptos, CA

  • Darby Edelen

    September 13, 2007 at 8:14 pm in reply to: Convert shape path to mask path

    [morgancreative] “turn off the text layer than select the new outlines layer and apply the stroke effect to that new layer.”

    I think his problem is that the new layer is a Shape Layer in CS3. In 7.0 you would get a masked solid, this is no longer the case in CS3.

    I know that you can copy the ‘path’ property out of the individual paths, but each letter is made up of one and sometimes two of these paths… And that gets nasty really quick.

    So I’d recommend trying Layer>Auto-Trace.

    Darby Edelen
    DVD Menu Artist
    Left Coast Digital
    Aptos, CA

  • Darby Edelen

    September 13, 2007 at 7:59 pm in reply to: Video Card Choice?

    [Brian Lynn] “I would work on a nice MacPro, but the one I priced out would cost three times more than my car!”

    I’d focus on getting a better car first then (;

    By the way, never add RAM or additional HDs on Apple’s website. You can get both of these for almost half as much through a 3rd party.

    Darby Edelen
    DVD Menu Artist
    Left Coast Digital
    Aptos, CA

  • Darby Edelen

    September 13, 2007 at 5:35 pm in reply to: Transformation of Moving object

    [Steve Roberts] “This is a special effects shot that needs to be planned.”

    Frankly, I would just be cheap about the whole thing and cut from a soccer ball flying through air to a football receiver catching a football. The audience will insert the ‘special’ effects in their head =)

    Have you seen the recent Nike commercial featuring a loosely connected montage of a football player running ‘through’ various plays on varied days in a range of weather? The cuts in that are fairly easy to see if you’re looking for them, even though they try to obscure them… It works though, because nobody wants to see those cuts. The idea gets across crystal clear, and that’s what’s important.

    Darby Edelen
    DVD Menu Artist
    Left Coast Digital
    Aptos, CA

  • Darby Edelen

    September 13, 2007 at 5:31 pm in reply to: Fields

    Hopefully this footage was never edited without the 3:2 Pulldown removed, which, among other problems, can result in a non-uniform pulldown pattern.

    If the footage was properly handled then you should be able to either render out a short test section of footage, re-import it and have AE guess the pulldown pattern, or look at the split frames and determine the pulldown pattern yourself.

    Darby Edelen
    DVD Menu Artist
    Left Coast Digital
    Aptos, CA

Page 319 of 411

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy