Daniel Low
Forum Replies Created
-
DV uses non-square pixels, MP4 uses square pixels. Solution, set the output frame size aspect ratio to match the source aspect ratio, not the source frame size,
I.e. 720×480 non-square source = 640×480 square output.__________________________________________________________________
Please post back saying what solved your problem. It could help others, and saying ‘thanks’ is free! -
Daniel Low
October 1, 2008 at 7:12 pm in reply to: Chapter markers display in Compressor preview window but not in compressed QuicktimeAre you using compressor 3?
Have a look at step 8:
https://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/chaptertracks.html
__________________________________________________________________
Please post back saying what solved your problem. It could help others, and saying ‘thanks’ is free! -
For what it’s worth I have had to deal with a lot of machines that have had problems like this after installing Perian and others that have had no problems with it whatsoever.
I assume that all your other MP3s play in QuickTime and MPEG SC ok?
__________________________________________________________________
Please post back saying what solved your problem. It could help others, and saying ‘thanks’ is free! -
Well I’ll be……..
I might just have to dust off compressor and get it re-installed, that kind of performance boost might be worth all the other headaches, but I doubt it!
__________________________________________________________________
Please post back saying what solved your problem. It could help others, and saying ‘thanks’ is free! -
In future, you might want to think about ingesting your content to a I-frame only format like ProRes 422, this would speed up your transcoding (and workflow) by quite some degree.
__________________________________________________________________
Please post back saying what solved your problem. It could help others, and saying ‘thanks’ is free! -
Setting up a virtual cluster on a single machine for use with Qmaster is only of use if you are submitting multiple jobs where the codec cannot make use of all the cores.
__________________________________________________________________
Please post back saying what solved your problem. It could help others, and saying ‘thanks’ is free! -
Sadly there are no hardware options for compressor other than a faster Mac with more memory. It maybe that you have some or all of the high quality transcoding options set to high or maximum. Some of the advanced frames controls can slow things down by 10x but give a 5x boost in quality. It’s all a trade-off.
Also, there’s a very big difference between transcoding from DV compared to HDV as HDV is a lot harder to decode (LongGOP vs I-Frame) and there’s no downscaling with DV.
It’s also worth bearing in mind that even on standard settings, compressor is not the fastest transcoding application on the Mac but it is capable of very high quality when used correctly.
__________________________________________________________________
Please post back saying what solved your problem. It could help others, and saying ‘thanks’ is free! -
The first thing I’d address is that Squeeze is out of date. Oh, and you are rather behind with Quicktime as well.
__________________________________________________________________
Please post back saying what solved your problem. It could help others, and saying ‘thanks’ is free! -
It’s odd that it only ships with Flash V7 support, I use its big brother, Carbon Coder and that ships with the latest version.
Anyhow I’m sure it will come as an update soon. You need to hassle Canopus.
Ed is right, the presets in Procoder are a great starting point, if you find those intimidating then use the Wizard application. If after using either of those you think your videos don’t look as good as others out there on the web, well thats because those people have likely spent time learning and tweaking the various settings to make them more suitable for their particular footage. It’ll take time, but you’ll need to do the same if you want the best quality. We’ve all been there and done that!
__________________________________________________________________
Please post back saying what solved your problem. It could help others, and saying ‘thanks’ is free! -
Compassion has nothing to do with it 😉
Nor does higher compression.
What I think you might be referring to is GOP structure, reference frame distance, number of b-frames and the like.
__________________________________________________________________
Please post back saying what solved your problem. It could help others, and saying ‘thanks’ is free!