Forum Replies Created
-
[Kevin Patrick] “My list of suggested voice commands may not be the best example. But, I think there are probably commands that could benifit from using your voice. “
This is it. SIRI is a digital assistant, not an editor. There are bunches of commands that don’t belong as keyboard shortcuts (my rule: if it’s more than 2 modifiers, it’s not a shortcut) that would be just fine as voice commands.
The same is true of the desktop in general. It’s inconceivable to me that SIRI isn’t in the next OS update. It HAS to be, and it’s overdue.
THAT SAID, I think that there’s a basic misunderstanding of what SIRI is. For the best possible insight, check out “Sh^t SIRI Says,” which is far, far more inappropriate for family viewing than the name implies, but the funniest thing I’ve read in a long time. It’s screencaptures of actual queries and responses that will blow your mind. I promise that you’ll gain a whole new appreciation for the possibilities of putting THIS in your edit suite.
Plenty of drugs, sex, and bad language that works fine for MY family, but may not for yours. COWveat lector.
-
The idea that there was “immediate strong negative reaction” to the FCPX launch from the people in the room is revisionist history — THAT’s revisionist history.
The thread that launched this forum came DURING the presentation, moment by moment (“now they’re letting us in, now the Apple logo is on the screen, Walter Biscardi just walked by,” etc.). There was unquestionably positive reaction, but quite a bit that was not. Here are some sample quotes:
- I maybe speaking too soon but if this is all there is to FCP X then i am extremely disappointed.
- Looks like the new iMovie to me. I have been editing for almost 15 years, I can edit with Final Cut Pro as it is fine, like a DEMON. It needs finishing tools, not a bunch of iMovie like sh*t. The new stuff in Final Cut is silly foo foo stuff for ProSumers.
- Color? That’s for professionals mate, has nothing to do with Final cut (any more) 🙂 Why’d you need Color, when it’s Color Corrected (or Balanced) on ingestion 🙂
- I’m calling LAME DUCK. Sounds like a ProSumer Gimmick So far.
- This one is going to be a tough one for apple to pull off from here on.
- Hmmmm…. I am sure senior members will chime in soon but for me, apple has not been very convincing.
- For people upgrading for iMOVIE, this is jaw-dropping. For people having to DOWNGRADE from Final Cut Studio, this is a Nightmare. Steve Jobbs can suck it. At least it might bring the industry back up to a better wage since Apple isn’t going to mess with the Pro Market anymore.
- I can do without everything I have seen so far.
- Anything Automatic sounds like a nightmare!!! Hopefully it will be able to be disabled.
- they are DEEED. So glad we invested in AVID last year. So Glad..
- Holy crap!!! Premiere/After Effects here I come
- [Dropping Color, STP, etc] would be just consistent with their recent moves. Shake dropped, DVD Studio Pro on deathbed for years. We can’t say we couldn’t see it coming….
That was from the very first thread, driven by people in the room.
I spoke to people that night and the next morning who had been part of Apple’s previews in February who were HORRIFIED by what they saw…but reserved judgement until they saw the shipping product…and were even MORE horrified.
The explosion didn’t happen until people started using it. But the fuse was lit for some people as early as February. This is all easy enough to find online from some of those folks.
Not that the largest response to the original presentation wasn’t positive. It was, no question. But the facts are that many people in that room weren’t convinced.
The fact is also that many of the people cheering in that room stopped cheering when they saw the product.
You can look it up.
-
Scott, I agree that that post was way out of line, but I’d like to expand it beyond “disagreement with me = terrified.”
Add “disagreement = old man with his head up his ass, lack of vision/imagination, standing in the way of progress, etc.,” to “like it = brainwashed fan boy” to the list of inappropriate directions for conversations, even in this full-contact forum.
Just because it doesn’t have somebody’s name in it doesn’t mean it’s NOT a personal attack. This is worse in my mind. Instead of attacking one guy, it’s attacking an entire class of people, and it’s not okay.
So please, back up off of that stuff in either direction. NFL football is full-contact, but there are still rules. Here’ there’s only one rule, which I’ll remind everyone of again: talk about topics, not posters.
Yr pal,
Timmy
COW -
[Gary Huff] “”Please specify audio codec.”
“Please specify audio kilohertz”
“Please specify audio bitrate.”Yeah, quite the timesaver.”
Exactly.
At the risk of using another crappy metaphor that will start arguments over the value of the metaphor rather than the actual topic — voice navigation in your car is just about the right level of voice control in your NLE. “Call Dave” and “Play Metallica” is one thing. “Turn right at the next light” is another. How far in the future do you think we’ll be before it’s a good idea for a car to execute that command based on your voice?
See, it’s not just the voice part — it’s how much the MACHINE will understand, and actually perform, based on the voice command.
I mean, to make this work for editing, you’d need an NLE that was pretty stripped down, and that made a lot of assumptions about what you mean. It couldn’t really rely on YOUR idea of things, or the whole thing would fall apart. It would require such a small subset of traditionally understood professional editing features that you’d wind up retraining yourself to try and think like the NLE, rather than try to edit the way you know works.
I mean, who’d want an NLE like that, right?
-
[Dustin Parsons] “Whaaat? $300 for Media Composer and 4 years of updates is an insanely low price. Do you know how many classes you have to take before you can get the discount? I wonder if you can sign up for an Intro To Video class or something like that at a local community college and still get the deal – that’d save a lot of money.”
As the page Oliver links to points out, you don’t have to actually take ANY specific classes to be eligible. Avid’s goal is to get Media Composer in the hands of students. The key words that you see repeated are “students enrolled in” — and then a reference to a SCHOOL, not a CLASS.
Ditto teachers: you’re eligible if you teach ANYTHING full time, from primary school, up. Not just teachers, staff too.
Homeschool parents, teachers and students note: if you meet your state’s guidelines for homeschooling, YOU ARE ALSO eligible for this deal!
The fact is that with Avid’s current discounts, there’s no reason to try to sneak a quicky enrollment at your local junior college to save a few bucks. You have to be enrolled full time. Easier to just take the crossgrade price.
Final note: at the end of 4 years, your license converts to a full pro license. There’s NO difference in function — it’s just that you can sit in front of a client, and they won’t see a splash screen that says “For Educational Use Only.” FCP never offered this ability….or this price of course.
At this price, there’s no reason for students and schools not to add Media Composer to the mix of everything else that’s in the curriculum.
Here’s the link again. A quick, very enlightening read. A lot of what you thought you knew about Avid even a few years ago probably needs updating.
PS. You can get Pro Tools at the same price.
-
[Bret Williams] ” Powerful perhaps. Intuitive? Far from it.”
The nipple is the last time that most humans experience an intuitive interface, certainly when it comes to tech.
Think about something as simple as a hyperlink. If you were around when the internet was first widely accessible, say, late 94, somebody had to tell you you what to do with an underlined word. Even then, your “intuition” might have been like mine, to doubleclick the link, because doubleclicking is what you do in order to open things on a computer.
I also think about Scotty trying to interface with a computer in the past — our present — in Star Trek IV. His idea of intuitive was to speak to the computer. When somebody handed him a mouse and told him to use that instead, he tried speaking into it as if it was a microphone.
As a result, whenever I hear the word “intuitive,” my assumption is that the speaker is full of poo — either because they believe that something is intuitive, or they know better and just want us to believe it anyway.
Kinda like the word “pro.”
-
Tim Wilson
September 29, 2011 at 7:26 am in reply to: The first signs of the death of final cut pro 7…. 🙁[Bill Davis] “But if iCloud is a play to “sell hardware” it’s an odd model – because isn’t access to its virtues pretty much identical whether you’re accessing it from an $8000 desktop tower or a $229 iPod touch?
Not if you’re selling 100,000 $399 phones for every $8000 tower. 🙂
I made that number up, but credible analysts have been poking around iPhone 5 sales of 110 million units in its first year, with approx 17 million in the first quarter….so maybe I’m not far off, either.
I thought the point of traditional “hardware driving software” was at least partially built around the concept that in order to run a powerful and professional app, you were forced to the top of the price pyramid to buy a professional class hardware box.”
The pyramid model may work everywhere BUT the computer business.
The biggest computer company in the world is publicly considering spinning off its actual computer business to focus (focus?) on the cloud, and the second biggest computer company got there by dropping the word “computer” from their name.
I’m oversimplifying of course. The world will always need heavy processing power and local storage in one box, and Apple will be in that business until they’re not. But that business has a ceiling. The iDevice+app business kinda doesn’t.
Apple still believes in Macs, no doubt about it. Last quarter was the best quarter for Mac sales in Apple’s history, up 22% YoY. Best-selling Mac? The MacBook Air, of course. The one that runs the cloud.
🙂
You and me, we may never spend as much on iDevices and apps for the rest of our lives to equal what we spent on Mac Pros. But we’re old and rich. (Hahaha!) There are millions of people who’ve bought two or three iDevices who will never buy a Mac, or who buy multiple iDevices and a couple of MacBook Airs and an iMac who will never buy a Mac Pro.
It has always been a truism that you can make more money selling a lot of cheap things than a handful of expensive ones — but hardly anyone has actually done it.
The big thing to keep in mind is that Apple isn’t going to use Tim Cook and glorified PowerPoint to sell the cloud. They’re going to use iPhone 5 and Peter Coyote. Game over.
-
[Chris Harlan] “[Walter Soyka] “I like Craig and Tim’s suggestion of “Industry Trends.” I’d love to see this level of interest and debate broaden significantly. I’ve learned a ton here.
”Ditto. I would very much like to widen this conversation beyond FCP X.”
We’re pretty much there, right? 🙂
The problem is that if we name it the “Industry Trends Forum,” we might as well call it the “Nothing Interesting Here, Now Where Can I Go Yell About FCPX Forum.” This discussion is what drew the crowd, and FCPX is still fueling the fire, so to speak.
So maybe “FCPX & Industry Trends” as gentler transition?
Not that this forum would even exist if gentle transitions were the order of the day.
-
I was just going to suggest reading the last couple of pages of posts. It’ll be like riding a time machine into the future!
-
Tim Wilson
September 28, 2011 at 1:18 am in reply to: macbook air and fcpx- the new portable edit suite[Bill Davis] “But I don’t think Apple’s patent portfolio came about by accident, Tim.”
Of course not. My point just that plenty of it is annoying to the point of uselessness, and that there are a lot more dead ends than most people remember. As Walter Soyka observes, home run hitters strike out more often than batters who stroke for average. A series of wobbly steps after a long run of good ones is nothing more than a regression to the mean.
For the record, I don’t think that their FCPX release strategy is one of the wobbly steps. I think that they got it exactly right, including the immediate EOL’ing of the old software.
That’s how I’da done it. Of course, I’m pretty annoying myself.