Forum Replies Created
-
[Steve Connor] “Fair point, but something on-topic would be nice as well”
On topic? Here? That’s asking a lot. LOL
Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyouThe typos here are most likely because I’m, a) typing this on my phone; and b) an idiot.
-
[Steve Connor] “come on Apple give us something to talk about!”
Because Apple isn’t doing anything for us to talk about.
-
Hi Ray,
It was their choice to no longer be involved with the COW. Feel free to tell them you’d like them to reconsider.
In the meantime, I can point you to the COW’s SAN Forum to find what you’re looking for.
Regards,
Tim
Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyouThe typos here are most likely because I’m, a) typing this on my phone; and b) an idiot.
-
[Michael Gissing] “Knowing a lot of music people who are existing Mac users, this is just Sony finally catching up with a request that has been around for a decade”
It might be hard for people in an FCP forum to picture, but I started working with the then-Sonic Foundry guys and Vegas when I was at Boris around the turn of the century, and *I* heard requests for Vegas and SoundForge on Mac nearly every day. I can only imagine how much of that Sony has been hearing.
[Michael Gissing] “I also expect Sony to have an Android app as well.”
The more the merrier, man. I’d love for everything I want to be everywhere I want it.
Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyouThe typos here are most likely because I’m, a) typing this on my phone; and b) an idiot.
-
Tim Wilson
August 19, 2012 at 10:38 pm in reply to: A frank response to the posts ” I QUIT…. Working for nothing” and “” Worth It Anymore”??”[walter biscardi] “We are so disappointed in you right now Bob……… :)”
My feeling is that it’s never too late to show up and cause trouble. Carry on, Bob.
Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyouThe typos here are most likely because I’m, a) typing this on my phone; and b) an idiot.
-
Tim Wilson
August 17, 2012 at 6:33 pm in reply to: Emmy award winning editor at NBC blogs about FCPXI think that our Loud Yeti friend has just given us the read of his Rorschach test, and I’m not sure he passed.
For most of this year, no matter how angrily a thread begins, it becomes MORE full of helpful hints and engaging discussion than not. This forum is far more viscous than vicious, and has been for a very long time.
I can only assume that we’re seeing something of a reverse Geneva syndrome. People who like X are so adamant about how many other people “don’t get it” that they’ve missed that they’re not under seige. They’re now the majority. It’s almost like overreaction to perceived slights has become a form of self-validation.
I didn’t see anything in the Loud Yeti’s post that I haven’t seen all over this forum every day, and throughout the COW’s article library where pro-X articles vastly outnumber the early anti-X ones.
For all the people for whom X still doesn’t, and may never, have the features they need, there are scores of other posters who have moved into the, “not now, but wow, there’s some cool stuff here, let’s see where we’re at next year” frame of mind.
Maybe I have a skewed perspective as somebody with no particular perspective, and I read every single post in this forum since April 2011. Every single one. All of them. I actually keep track of what everyone says, and chart the changes over time. The forum that this used to be and the forum it is now are two different things.
So where our friend the Loud Yeti tells haters to relax, I’m far more inclined to tell the players to relax. Reason — including reasoned rejection as appropriate — is far more the order of the day than not. You’re way, way out front here, and it’s okay to act like you’re not being persecuted. One option is to graciously accept a growing hegemony.
Of course, as someone who rarely graciously accepts anything, I heartily encourage you to select another option if you’re so inclined.
Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyouThe typos here are most likely because I’m, a) typing this on my phone; and b) an idiot.
-
It feels bizarrely off-topic to return to the theme of the Olympics, but I came across this and thought of you guys: What if all sports were shot like beach volleyball
-
Tim Wilson
August 15, 2012 at 4:21 pm in reply to: A frank response to the posts ” I QUIT…. Working for nothing” and “” Worth It Anymore”??”[walter biscardi] “[Todd Terry] “I hire very good people, and I pay them very well. It does make a difference.”
1000% agree. Those who do good work with a lot less are a very rare breed. Those who charge less and turn out crap are a dime a dozen and quite honestly, are good for my business when we have to come in behind them and clean up the mess.”
I was in a small market where the cable companies did local commercials for free. I built my business by doing work that was so much better than what people got for free that I could charge pretty much whatever I wanted.
That said, I don’t agree at all. People doing more with less isn’t rare. People like that are running through the COW by the hundreds of thousands.
Walter, you’re one of them. You’re just doing it on a larger scale. One of the several key vectors in your business is that you’ve used technology and creativity to do the work of a company ten times your size. But you started a business in your 30s as one guy doing more with less. The difference now is that people are starting in their 20s.
Chen Wu Xing wasn’t even talking about a business owner, but talking about a hireling. You can get really good hirelings for peanuts. A suit by the interns on Black Swan is turning into a class action suit against Fox, because they were working for free, instead of the contract amount of the…oops… $8 an hour they were due. The suit will surely spread to the other studios as legions of young people are demanding the right to be paid $8/hour on Oscar-caliber feature films.
Seriously, did Black Swan turn out well enough for you? You feel like anybody needed to go in fix it? And not that key VFX shots were being done by $8/hour interns — but I guarantee that when you look at those 300 names scrolling through the credits, you make more than all but maybe two dozen of them, and that a lot of key shots DID have people working for free on them, instead of the $8/hour they SHOULD have been making.
Look, I’ve spent most of the past decade orbiting around education. The fastest growing liberal arts programs have been media-centered for years. They’re not just scratching their asses in those programs either. Students are often working with better gear than you are, and working on real projects — including things like Black Swan — for next to nothing, and coming out of school every four years, ready to work for next to nothing on a full-time basis.
Schools like Full Sail are doing laser-focused training on producing genuine artists. In fact, you have to qualify with a pencil and a paintbrush before they let you touch a camera. A lot of these kids have chops that you never will, and Full Sail is cranking them out every 13 months.
It’s not just the gear that has become commoditized. Creativity, skill and experience have too.
Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyouThe typos here are most likely because I’m, a) typing this on my phone; and b) an idiot.
-
[Oliver Peters] “And that still doesn’t specify a Mac Pro (as we understand it today).”
I’m thinking it pretty much specifies something NOT as we understand it today. LOL
Although after the past year, I’m thinking that “understand” is a relative term.
Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyouThe typos here are most likely because I’m, a) typing this on my phone; and b) an idiot.
-
[Andrew Kimery] ” It will start out small and possibly unimpressive but that’s part for the course for new things.”
Still waiting for my rocket car, dammit.
(This is the extended remix, released in 1986.)
Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.
Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyouThe typos here are most likely because I’m, a) typing this on my phone; and b) an idiot.