Forum Replies Created

Page 128 of 235
  • Tim Wilson

    September 27, 2012 at 5:42 pm in reply to: Logic Pro X – Let the rumors begin

    We’ll look at this after there’s more than one thread. 🙂 I wouldn’t be surprised if this happened in very short order, but we already have a Logic forum. Since it’s only getting around a post a month, we might just add an X on that bad boy and be done.

    We’re definitely keeping up with this, though – hey, and thanks for putting “rumors“ in the thread name. That’ll get my attention even faster than a thread with my name in it. LOL

    Tim Wilson
    Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW

  • Tim Wilson

    September 13, 2012 at 6:08 pm in reply to: The Patent Thing

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Like what? Hardware stuff?”

    Yeah, the thing that jumped out at me was the 4-inch screen. Surely Samsung and HTC patented the 4-inch form factor. Right?

    Anywayyyyy….

    I know that coming to market first doesn’t mean patented first, but Samsung has been advertising taking pictures while also recording video for a while. The Epic 4G has been out over a year and takes panoramic pictures with the stock camera. There are others, but I remember that one off the top of my head.

    There were other features that I know I’ve seen before, but to get more specific, I’d have to look at the iPhone features again and I really don’t want to. LOL

    In general though, I didn’t see anything that struck me as all that new, EXCEPT to iPhone, even compared to some year-old phones from other people. But I definitely think any iPhone user should dump whatever they have and grab this one ASAP. Within the four walls of the iPhone world, this looks like their first real step forward in a long time, and it looks like a pretty good one.

    Tim Wilson
    Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW

  • Tim Wilson

    September 13, 2012 at 4:12 am in reply to: The Patent Thing

    I was actually struck by how many “new” features on this iPhone are things I’ve seen around for a very long time already. (My phone is the HTC Thunderbolt mentioned in the article.) I don’t know anything about LTE, so maybe there really are 434 things for Apple to patent that Samsung and HTC hadn’t patented already — BUT THERE AREN’T SO ALL OF YOU SHUT UP — but Samsung and HTC jumped immediately to mind today, and I wondered how long it would take them to file papers. THIS long.

    We need a name for patent spam. Or is “patent spam” good enough?

    Tim Wilson
    Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW

  • Tim Wilson

    September 12, 2012 at 7:47 pm in reply to: Bad Experience with a moderator

    Greg, I could not agree with you more. This is truly an insult and drives me INSANE. I’ve been trying to come up with a method where we could automatically detect “answers” like this and DELETE them. The command to RTM has absolutely no place anywhere in the COW, for any reason.

    I actually wrote about this in Creative COW Magazine. The broader point is that the only way to succeed is to constantly stay a newbie. A specific point was that a “newbie” question can come from somebody who is a world-class expert in something ELSE. I even gave a couple of examples. Therefore, you should assume that every newbie is smarter than you and makes more money, and answer accordingly.

    There was a mixed reaction, so I added in the comments:

    Have you ever noticed how the RTM-ers are so fast to answer on so many threads? Such anger! It’s also, often, simply wrong. It assumes that manuals are good enough. It assumes that somebody has enough training to even speak the same language the manual does. It assumes that they have access to the manual at all. It assumes that their boss is giving them room to breathe. Posting a question, then getting back to work on what they DO understand, is for people in trouble the absolute pinnacle of multitasking. It may be the best they can do.

    I’m now starting to rant, but I feel really, really strongly about this.

    Thanks for pointing out this particular post. The number of posts in the COW each day is well into 4 figures, and we simply can’t read them all. We’ll take care of this one though.

    Thanks too for being part of the COW. We truly appreciate it, and we’re glad we’ve been able to help.

    Regards,

    Tim Wilson
    Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW

  • Tim Wilson

    September 10, 2012 at 3:39 pm in reply to: Commercial advantages

    [Bernard Newnham] “”We’ve been able to shoot and edit broadcast video on laptops and small cameras for 12 or 13 years”

    I lectured around the place for several years for the Royal Television Society on lightweight production, then characterised by the VX1000 etc. FCP1 came out and I added a Mac laptop to the gear…”

    This was true for the introduction of HD as well. Remember that FCP 4.5 was rebranded as FCP HD. It supported DVCPRO HD over FireWire, in both 720p and 1080i.

    (Talking about portable HD of course. Not that FCP HD was the first version to support HD. That was FCP 3 in 2002. I was at Boris FX at the time, launching Boris RED 3, and presented at many, many events where Apple also showed uncompressed HD in FCP 3. Quite the pile of gear to do that — but remember when uncompressed was the Holy Grail?)

    FCP 5 added HDV (which had actually been introduced in FC Express the year before I think) and P2 card support.

    So really, you have to give as much credit to Panasonic for MAKING a format lightweight enough to work on a laptop, followed by HDV of course — but The Legend of FCP was out in front for supporting untethered HD on laptops, 7+ years ago. (You could in fact do uncompressed on a laptop by using external storage and IO, taking HD on laptops with FCP back 10 years.)

    Leaving aside for a moment the argument over whether HDV was (is?) a pro-quality format, the point is that professional results on portable platforms has been a non-issue for a very long time. It’s easy now with almost NLE you can name.

    So, among the arguments fer or agin X, I don’t see how image quality meaningfully factors in.

  • Tim Wilson

    September 6, 2012 at 8:35 pm in reply to: BMCC – ‘First’ Production with BMCC

    Marco wrote extensively about the BMCC for the COW in April, and will be following up here soon. His first articles were the most read of ANY nab show coverage, by any outlet, anywhere on the web.

    I feel obliged to mention that Marco placed his order to BUY the cameras like anyone else, and was offered pre-production gear based solely on the quality of his earlier coverage. Note too that he was not paid for those articles. He is not a professional journalist or reviewer of any kind. He is not a trainer who will benefit from this by having you buy courses from him. Marco is a working pro, who, as I mentioned, pays for his gear.

    The rules of the game for discussing pre-production models or software releases are that criticism has to wait for shipping versions. That’s true for any company, any kind of product, in any industry. That’s reasonable. Any criticisms he has could well be addressed in the shipping units, and knowing Blackmagic, they may take the opportunity to add some juicy goodness that Marco hasn’t seen yet.

    As I mentioned above, I believe that Marco is exactly the kind of guy you want to have taking this thing for a spin. He doesn’t get paid to review stuff. He doesn’t get paid for training based on his insider-y knowledge. The services his company offers are editorial, grading, VFX, audio, music composition (I don’t know of an instrument Marco can’t play) interactive development, and, yes, shooting. He competes for clients who only pay him if his work is good, end of story.

    Marco also holds very strong opinions, and you can expect to hear them in full force very soon.

    In the meantime, you can take a gander at his earlier coverage here and here.

    tw

    Tim Wilson
    Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW

  • Tim Wilson

    September 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm in reply to: IBC Announcements?

    You should definitely be checking the COW News section, linked in the orange nav bar at the top of the page. The biggest gathering of IBC announcements in one place.

    That said, it will be kind of quiet a bit longer. The curtain doesn’t really raise until tomorrow.

    In the coming days, Debra Kaufman will be following up with more detailed stories primarily from the post side, and Ryan Salazar will wrap things up at the end of the show with a major broadcast component included.

    tw

    Tim Wilson
    Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW

  • Tim Wilson

    September 5, 2012 at 7:27 pm in reply to: Where did the G-Tech forum go?

    [Adrian Cutler] “The Creative Cow has decided to remove G-Technology from it’s forum. “

    This is simply not true. The founders of Creative COW were personally committed to G-Tech’s success from the very beginning through their prior relationship with G-Tech’s founder, and actively solicited G-Tech’s participation in the COW.

    When we had not heard from them in a while, we specifically asked if they were interested in continuing to work with us, and they specifically declined.

    It’s unfortunate to see Adrian creating a COW account just today for (apparently) the sole purpose of making such a post.

    We at the COW will be happy hear directly from somebody at G-Tech that they would like to continue working with us. They may contact us at the email addresses and phone numbers that they have had for us since before G-Tech even opened their doors.

    Regards,

    Tim Wilson
    Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW

  • Tim Wilson

    September 4, 2012 at 4:59 pm in reply to: Where did the CalDigit forum go?

    And gents, as I mention above, please check out the COW’s SAN forum. You’ll find people using all kinds of systems who are in a good position to advise you on a variety of choices.

    Regards,
    Tim

    Tim Wilson
    Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

    The typos here are most likely because I’m, a) typing this on my phone; and b) an idiot.

  • Tim Wilson

    August 29, 2012 at 5:00 pm in reply to: Patent Thing meets FCP-X.

    I can’t imagine that licensing had anything to do with pulling FCP 7. Apple either had the rights to that stuff or they didn’t. Anyone seeking damages for infringing uses would have done so based on ALL the money that Apple had ever made with that technology, going back to the very beginning. These kinds of lawsuits are intentionally blunt instruments.

    I’ve written at extensive length why I think Apple ended FCP 7. They’d been dying to do it for years, which is why it had had ZERO major development since multicam in 2005. ProRes was just a format, and it came 4 years later than the Avid DNxHD it was clearly modeled on. FCP was zombieware, moving just slowly enough to trick you into thinking it was still alive.

    More than that, it was borg-ware. Other than Motion, almost the entire suite had been bought from other companies, with — beyond those three dots to manage the windows, genie effects and splat-H– very little effort to make it have even the most basic Apple look and feel. Even a single day more after the launch of X would have been continuing the self-defeat that FCP 7 had become for any reason but money — and as much as thuggish as they’re proving to be, they’ve NEVER done anything JUST for money. Never.

    It’s all about protecting the Apple Way, and FCP/FCS had very little to do with that. X has EVERYTHING to do with that.

    Anyway, I’ve written enough about this, but I’ll maintain this until Apple tells us otherwise: X was always about putting a shovel in the head of the FCP borg zombie, and doing things Apple’s wat. THAT was the goal, not money, not licensing, certainly not serving existing customers…which they have likewise never prioritized over Apple’s look, feel, etc.

    I think that this is also why X is being tied so much more closely to Mac core functions. They ALWAYS want to do this with EVERYTHING, as well they should – and FCS was never going to get them there. Never, which means it HAD to die the second it possibly could. It’s survival was a continuing affront to everything that Apple has stood for, and wants to stand for going forward.

    It’d be nice to have something else to blame other than Apple being Apple, but this has been their MO since 1984. The longer you’ve been an Apple customer (since 1979 for me), the more often you’ve been bit by it.

    Tim Wilson
    Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

    The typos here are most likely because I’m, a) typing this on my phone; and b) an idiot.

Page 128 of 235

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy