Forum Replies Created

Page 150 of 254
  • Chris Poisson

    January 10, 2007 at 4:37 pm in reply to: Copyright release

    This can be a touchy subject, although I have not had to test any of this issue in court, but here’s how I understand copyrights.

    When you are an employee or under a work-for-hire contract, the client owns everything. This can be touchy because a lot of clients like mine put work-for-hire language in the small print on a purchase order, which, by excepting, you agree to, whether you sign it or not.

    BUT, and this is a big but, if you are hired by verbal agreement, and no paperwork regarding rights is put forward or signed, the client has the right to use the material for the intended use, and that’s it. You own everything. No amount of dubbing, duping or turning over tapes makes a dent in your rights. You can re-sell the work, or put it up as stock, whatever. Course in this situation there may be other rights that need to be considered, like talent, location fees, releases etc., and whether or not you want to piss off your client, but the work is yours.

    I’m not a lawyer, but I had in my ad days an Intelectual Property law firm for a client, and I checked these statements with another copyright lawyer I know.

    Funny, but despite the law, I have never had a discussion or conflict about this with any clients, I guess the unwritten laws of trust apply pretty widely in our biz, but it’s good to know the facts just in case…

  • Chris Poisson

    January 10, 2007 at 4:16 am in reply to: Problems with DVMatte Pro

    Tom,

    Send a note to the folks at DVgarage, they are sure to help.

  • Chris Poisson

    January 9, 2007 at 12:40 am in reply to: Overmodulated audio from CD

    Pat,

    How is your audio setup routed? Are you using a mixer? Capture card?

  • Chris Poisson

    January 8, 2007 at 4:37 pm in reply to: Television screen affect in FCP

    Wayne,

    Does that DH thing show up as a transition or a filter or both?

  • Chris Poisson

    January 8, 2007 at 3:27 pm in reply to: Television screen affect in FCP

    Thax,

    LOL! Or 1988 or even 78!

  • Chris Poisson

    January 8, 2007 at 1:41 pm in reply to: using 720p footage in a FCP 1080i project

    Hey Walter,

    That is very interesting, can you expand on cross-convert? How is it different?

  • Chris Poisson

    January 8, 2007 at 1:38 pm in reply to: Television screen affect in FCP

    There are a lot of TV effects in clips here: alunablue.com

    These can be superimposed over your clips or used as transitions.

  • Chris Poisson

    January 7, 2007 at 2:27 pm in reply to: using 720p footage in a FCP 1080i project

    Mike,

    You might want to talk to Shane, he uses Compressor for upconverts a lot I believe. The Kona option is probably your best bet, but I would tinker with my settings in a Compressor upconvert to make sure it is compatible with your project. It should work.

  • Chris Poisson

    January 7, 2007 at 2:23 pm in reply to: making a freeze frame in fcp

    What Rafalos says is true, if you shot true progressive. 24p from the Panasonic DVX100 has fields, as pulldown is put in by the camera for 29.97. 24pA is progressive, but the slowdown could be introducing fields. I would suggest a third party deinterlacer like Joe’s or BCC’s. TMTS also has a smart deinterlace filter in the latest verison, and they are free.

    The best deinterlacer I have however, is Fields Kit, which also has a re-interlacer. Very cool product. revisioneffects.com

  • Chris Poisson

    January 6, 2007 at 9:25 pm in reply to: Safari appearance change

    Hey Curtis, yes, that was it, thanks!

Page 150 of 254

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy