Forum Replies Created

Page 142 of 254
  • Chris Poisson

    March 17, 2007 at 1:22 pm in reply to: interlace flicker on 8-bit images

    You need to tell us what kind of images, how big they are, what kind of detail is in them etc. Flickering stills (if that’s what they are) is one of the most talked-about topics here. You can see a ton of posts in the archives.

    In most of them, you will see that a few different blurs are often recommended.

  • Chris Poisson

    March 16, 2007 at 4:04 pm in reply to: Iomega REV drives?

    Bret,

    Yes, I know, I have personally lost 3 LaCie drives and had 3 go bad at other places. Oh and I had one Maxtor do the same thing.

    Anyways, it is duly backed up, just waiting for the final gasp and wheeze of death!

    Still wondering what anyone thinks of the REV drive idea…

  • Chris Poisson

    March 16, 2007 at 1:39 pm in reply to: Iomega REV drives?

    Shoulda mentioned I’m talking about the new FireWire versions.

  • Chris Poisson

    March 15, 2007 at 9:41 pm in reply to: composite out on deckink extreme

    Are your DL settings correct? (In system prefs)

  • John,

    Why not just put the HD stuff in the SD timeline, let FCP scale it and fix the aspect ratios in the distort tab? Frame rates can be dealt with using Nattress Standards filters, so what am I missing here?

    I just did a reel yesterday from mostly HD footage in exactly this way and it looked great.

  • Chris Poisson

    March 9, 2007 at 12:24 pm in reply to: 24pA field dominance?

    If you use advanced puldown removal on 24pA footage (which removes fields that are in there because it’s recorded at 29.97) what you end up with is truly progressive. Fields are re-introduced if you play out to a 29.97 tape, but as long as you stay in QT there ain’t no fields.

  • Chris Poisson

    March 9, 2007 at 12:20 pm in reply to: OT – Photoshop Training Material

    Scott,

    There are at lest a dozen up-to-date PS books on the shelves at Barnes and Noble and Borders. I looked at a couple the other day just for grins, they all look good.

    But, if money were no object and each student could find a copy, the best book I ever saw (have) on PS is “Photoshop Channel Chops” by David Biedny. There’s another book that is more recent called “Photoshop Lab Color, The Canyon Conundrum,” to which David Biedny wrote the Forward, but this is much more specialized, dealing with utilizing a little-used feature called LAB color, which is truly amazing.

    But there are a slew of general books, don’t recommend any particular one, but others here surely will.

    Good luck!

  • Chris Poisson

    March 8, 2007 at 2:03 pm in reply to: Decent VHS/DVD combo player

    Hi Tony,

    Thanks, I saw that machine at Best Buy. They also had an LG player recorder for $299, and right next to it an off-brand called Insignia for $180. I turned both of them around and the back panels were identical, down to the last little printing detail. So I figured it must be the same machine and I guess it was, it is rock solid and does everything I wanted, including fast forward with discs with which I can see the run time going by. It’s all component out, and my Kona card seems to like it. Anyways, thanks for your help…

  • Chris Poisson

    March 6, 2007 at 1:22 pm in reply to: Extending motion effects through dissolves

    Shane,

    For the record, “Chris” was the tough rancher who tried to throw Shane ont of the bar at the beginning of the movie, but Shane kicked his ass. But they became friends later in the film and Chris left the bad ranchers. (Just saw Shane on TNT a couple of weeks ago, still one of my favorite westerns. But I was amazed by how much day for night is in it, and REALLY BAD DFN at that!)

  • Chris Poisson

    March 6, 2007 at 1:16 pm in reply to: Extending motion effects through dissolves

    What the heck was that corny commercial that ended with “you’re both right!” Well, you are, but then there’s always PanZoom Pro, which at least for stills that animate requires NO KEYFRAMES! A fine way to cure one of FCP’s biggest failings, get rid of ’em.

    I wonder if FCP 6 will fix this?

Page 142 of 254

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy