Forum Replies Created

Page 154 of 282
  • Chris Harlan

    June 5, 2012 at 4:16 pm in reply to: Mac Pro refresh at WWDC?

    [Gary Huff] “[Chris Harlan] “Yes, but so do my eSATA drives, except for my G-RAID mini which can run on USB while hooked up as eSATA.”

    Well, that means you have TWO AC Adapters rolling, while an eSATA ExpressCard just requires the use of the one on the hard drive, so I don’t see that as an improvement.”

    I don’t recall making any kind of statement that LaCie eSATA adaptor was an “improvement” over an ExpressCard. But, if I had to choose one or the other, I would choose TBolt. It can daisy-chain. Express Card can’t. With ExpressCard, I’ve always had to choose eSATA or MXO2 out. With TBolt, you can get both. Also, if something becomes disconnected from your TBolt chain, you don’t have to worry about the immanent kernel panic that looms every time the spring-loaded ExpressCard slot accidentally ejects the card because of a jostle or nudge.

    [Gary Huff] “Isn’t Thunderbolt supposed to provide power? Why does this adapter requires the use of its own AC adapter?
    “

    It provides some power. Clearly not enough. The only thing I’m aware of that runs off TBolt power is the Elgato SSD, and that has no pass-through.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm in reply to: Mac Pro refresh at WWDC?

    [Walter Soyka] “I suspect not. Look at the language here around Windows — it’s “the dark side” or “gives me the shivers” or “would rather do self-flagellation.”

    I get it, though. I was a Mac guy and Apple evangelist who was really suspicious of Windows until I started actually using it. I had to see for myself that Windows 7 worked really well before I believed it.
    “

    A lot of the fear, too, comes from dealing with consumer iterations of Windows. Once upon a time, I had very pleasant relations with NT, 2000, and XP. True, you had to know how to use them, but they were very good and very stable in their time.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm in reply to: FCP switchers and PPro 6

    [Mike Molenda] ” There are enough annoying bugs and quirks that I hardly miss the annoying bugs and quirks in FCP at all.”

    LOL

  • Chris Harlan

    June 5, 2012 at 3:48 pm in reply to: FCP switchers and PPro 6

    [Steve Connor] “I know a lot of us have been testing PPro 6 and I have to say I like it a lot but has anyone here made the switch from FCP Classic for their commercial work and if so I’d be interested in your thoughts.
    “

    I cut a broadcast spot with it last week. It felt very natural to do. In many ways it does feel like a logical extension of FCS with some nice Avid DNA sprinkled in. It did make me think some about how remarkable FCS is/was, but part of that might be my unfamiliarity with the subtler functioning of Pr6. I should add that their were a number of things that I liked better than anything available in FCP 7. The UI stands out particularly. I decided to do most of the cutting on a Macbook Pro, and then finish on my 8 Core. The amazing amount of flexibility you have in configuring your workspace, and the ease with which it can be re-arranged, is unrivaled by anything else i’ve ever seen. And then, the ease with which that can easily expand out into a multi-monitor experience is just terrific. Of course, I like the chaotic, multi-window, put-anything-where-you-want-it experience. For some people that gets too cluttered. For me, its freedom, and is one of the main reasons I was drawn to FCP Legend, and one the reasons I find X a bit Gulag-like.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 5, 2012 at 2:02 pm in reply to: Mac Pro refresh at WWDC?

    [Gary Huff] “[Chris Harlan] “I’m using the LaCie eSATA adaptor and it works quite well. It also has pass-through, making it daisy chain-able.”

    Doesn’t seem very portable.”

    It’s a tiny thing. Fits in one hand.

    [Gary Huff] ” Does it require the use of the AC adapter?
    “

    Yes, but so do my eSATA drives, except for my G-RAID mini which can run on USB while hooked up as eSATA.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 5, 2012 at 5:26 am in reply to: Mac Pro refresh at WWDC?

    [Gary Huff] “Where’s my eSATA adapter? “

    I’m using the LaCie eSATA adaptor and it works quite well. It also has pass-through, making it daisy chain-able.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 5, 2012 at 1:50 am in reply to: Mac Pro refresh at WWDC?

    [Herb Sevush] “[Viktor Kamenický] “Is it gonna FINALLY happen? ”

    Did you read all the way through the article?

    “Apple not updating the Mac Pro for sometime leads us to believe that it may stay un-updated, so perhaps a new Mac mini is in the cards for WWDC.”
    “

    Maybe he meant “Is it gonna finally NOT happen?”

  • Chris Harlan

    June 4, 2012 at 3:46 pm in reply to: Off Topic: Best and Worst Jobs.

    [TImothy Auld] “They had thoughtfully surgically removed the pigs vocal chords so they didn’t have to listen to them scream. I stood up almost as soon as I had sat down. Only editing job I’ve ever flat walked out on.
    “

    Tim, I’m thinking that you win, and that if there is a story that can best you, I don’t want to hear it.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm in reply to: FCP X hardware performance

    [Michael Hadley] “I’ve got journeyman chops but one thing I have learned is to avoid TIFFs (and jpegs where possible).”

    JPEGS, yes, but I use TIFFs all the time. Its a venerable format that allows for layers and transparencies. I’m not sure what your problem has been with it, but I’ve been using it for years without issue.

  • Chris Harlan

    June 2, 2012 at 1:03 am in reply to: Apple Posts FAQ on FCPX

    [Kevin Patrick] “In case you didn’t know how to pronounce FCPX.

    https://support.apple.com/kb/HT5148
    “

    That’s so funny. Sorta like “That’s Mr. Ex to you.”

Page 154 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy