Chris Harlan
Forum Replies Created
-
Chris Harlan
June 7, 2012 at 2:53 am in reply to: MacPro rumor with detailed specs and reasons for choicesDang. We’re blazin’ now. Of course, they’ve all got guns, too. Except for Legend, who they’ve nicknamed Spider, and have fetching drinks.
-
[Andrew Richards] “[Tim Wilson] “That’s just not true. Microsoft and HP are among MANY companies who do.”
Sigh. Fine. Yes, MSFT also does roadmaps. They also don’t make PCs, so I don’t really think it is relevant to getting a roadmap for hardware (which I noted that Intel does), but I didn’t equivocate enough in my post, and for that I apologize.
So let’s try again.”
No, I don’t think there is any need to try again. Microsoft might not make PCs, but PCs are made to their specifications, and their OS software is crafted in response to the observations and needs of the PC makers. Its a very useful and open relationship, and one that used to make me snicker at the hypocrisy of Apple’s 1984 commercial.
-
[Jeremy Garchow] “[Chris Harlan] “No. Definitely not. In fact, I’m guessing I have to remove my ATI card to get optimal 285 performance, as Premiere isn’t seeing it (though AE is.)”
Yep. I’ll go with busted. 😉
Just kidding.
“Busted? No, its actually a conundrum. I like having all those monitors. Having a Cintiq hooked up can be pretty useful. And Mercury software playback with Pr is robust. I am curious about the enVidia card and it might offer, but I’m not sure its worth the trade. I’d like to figure out why Mercury sees it in AE but not in Pr.
-
[Jeremy Garchow] “[Chris Harlan] “Actually, multiple GPUs worked just fine on FCS3.”
Mmm, OK. I’ll go with “just fine”.
It certainly didn’t offer anything in terms of performance gains like CS6/Resolve can do today.
“No. Definitely not. In fact, I’m guessing I have to remove my ATI card to get optimal 285 performance, as Premiere isn’t seeing it (though AE is.)
-
[Robert Brown] “[Chris Harlan] “Actually, multiple GPUs worked just fine on FCS3. Yu just needed to know how to do it.”
Show off!”
Nope. I think I just learned how to do it by reading the cow, while letting others bleed their knuckles for me.
-
[Tim Wilson] ”
[Robert Brown] “[Chris Harlan] “Actually, multiple GPUs worked just fine on FCS3. Yu just needed to know how to do it.”Show off!”
But that was just more than one card in the box, right Chris? Or are you saying that you were able to link them to each other for better performance?
NVIDIA calls it Maximus technology, but the point is graphics RAID, so to speak.
That’s the thing I think he’s saying that Mac doesn’t support…which I didn’t think it does…but hey, you’re clearly ahead of the curve here. 🙂
“No. No SLI or anything like it. Apple is tragically behind on that kind of thing. No, the quote that Herb was referring to, and the problem attached to it that Jeremy was referencing, had to do with Apple actively selling multiple cards for more than two monitors, and that that configuration crashed FCS quite badly. Turned out–and I think I probably learned it from the cow–you needed to have mismatched cards to make more than two monitors work on FCP.
-
[Jeremy Garchow] “Multiple GPUs broke FCS3.
“Actually, multiple GPUs worked just fine on FCS3. Yu just needed to know how to do it. My 8 Core is a 4 monitor system (plus broadcast monitor out) running on an NVidia 285 plus the ATI card that came with the system. Motion and other GPU driven programs address the NVidia card, and the ATI supports a 3rd monitor (which I use in FCP for scopes, TC, and mixer) and a Wacom Cintiq.
-
[Walter Soyka] “This is insane.
What other company can put its customers on a roller coaster ride like this and still inspire such loyalty?
“Yes, it is. If you’d asked me last Fall about buying a Mac Pro on release, the answer would have been yes. Now, I don’t know. I certainly have a lot invested in the OS X platform, but I am tired of the roller coaster, and the only reason I came to the platform in the first place was FCP. Apple has always been a bit of a carney side show from my perspective, and now, since FCP X is only of marginal interest to me, I find the idea of reincorporating Windows an enticing one. Still, cross-platform work, though far easier now than it was a decade ago, has drawbacks. Avid, Adobe and Boris are making it at least possible to consider, however. Did you know that you can switch your Continuum License to Windows at no cost? I was quit relieved to find that out.
So, I’m interested in what might be released next week, and I might be in the market for it, depending on what it offers, but my allegiance to the Mac line of computers was EOLed not long after FCS3.
-
[Lance Bachelder] “Yes and we all need profit sharing!”
We already are. I mean… you’re not? I, uh… Hey, new Mac Pro, huh?
-
[Walter Soyka] “I also think a lot of the outdated misconceptions are also based on lower-end systems with poor hardware, shoddy drivers, and useless, performance-sapping shovelware manufacturer pre-loads.
“Yes, definitely. Windows had a freedom to it that exposed its lower end to all sorts of crap. And, early “plug-and-play” was a nightmare. Frankly, I liked the whole IRQ system, but it required that you actually understand your computer. God forbid.
And yes–the shovelware of the consumer OS, from 95 on, was awful, and often irresponsibly loaded. Fortunately, you didn’t see any of that on the Pro-OS side.
Its funny. This reminds me of the talks I used to have with Avid-only editors about how “unresponsive” FCP was. It took a while, but it finally dawned on me that most–if not all–of these guys had only tried FCP with a firewire i/o, and that they had no idea that an AJA or Decklink hookup would make editing just as responsive.