Forum Replies Created

Page 194 of 258
  • Charlie Austin

    August 2, 2013 at 4:02 am in reply to: Why the Magnetic Timeline is Good…

    [Carsten Orlt] “I like the new world and I don’t want to go back :-)”

    Me too. 🙂 I want to move this thing I’m looking at to here. Why should I have to worry about whether I’m screwing up something earlier or later that I can’t see because I’m zoomed in. Or jump through hoops to prepare the timeline for my edit. I just want to do it and move on. Huge time, and sanity, saver.

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Steve McMillan] “Don’t like the file structure for managing clients/projects, “

    Get Event Manager X. Best $5 you’ll spend. FWIW, I create a Master Project Folder in the Project Library for each Event (job in my case) All cuts/versions go in their own subfolders within that Folder… EM-X can Hide/Show master (root level) Project Folders, so for each job, I just open the Event, and the Master cuts folder associated with it. You could just as easily have each cut in it’s own “root” folder so you just open what you want to work on. I just like having everything available. I actually find the Event/Project structure to be very flexible. You can manage it all manually, But EM-X is much easier.

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Neil Goodman] ” except i turn it off in the timeline and only use it in the event. “

    I generally keep it off in the timeline as well… unless I need to quickly whip around. And it a pretty great way to get around the timeline when you get used to it. Though it can get a little squirrely. 🙂 Anyway, if you think skimming is cool… you should turn Clip Skimming on and try that in the timeline. OPT-CMD-S 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Mark Raudonis] “So far, NOBODY here to speak to collaborative, shared storage , work group editing.”

    You mean like MC collaborative editing? There are some clues that more than one person may be able to work simultaneously on/from the same Project and or Event, but not yet. Sharing sequences etc like FCP Classic? On NAS requires a couple extra steps but totally doable. Even easier on a SAN. Editor A un-mounts location, Editor B opens it up. Shared storage works as it always has. Choose not to copy media to the event folder and it’ll just reference it from a SAN or NAS just like anything else. FWIW, I’m in a shop with FCP X, 7, Pr, AE etc, all using the same shared media.

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Aindreas Gallagher] “I’m not joking – on one level – X is just the stupidest, most destructive software ever put to market. forget the merits – its a bombsite.”

    Well, sure, on one level. The dinosaur houses. And i say this as a card carrying member of this group. And they may all switch to Avid, as they, we, ever so slowly decline into irrelevance. Remember the Music industry? Recording studios? Giant record labels? How’s that working out? It’s happening on the visual side too. And I really think what Apple has done with X is anticipate that. Maybe they were early… maybe not. X is pretty damn democratizing though. I think the people who have the hardest time with it are editors. 🙂

    [Aindreas Gallagher] “[Charlie Austin] “Anyone who knows X could sit down in front of it, and in 10 seconds figure out what everything in that timeline is. ”

    well, yes charlie.”

    I wasn’t saying this to be disingenuous… A lot of complaints about the trackless timeline are based on the “how will my (assistant/collaborator/whatever) know what is what unless I can split everything out to separate tracks and then give them a track sheet or tell them what is on each track?!?!?!” Well, it’s stupidly simple if you’ve assigned Roles to everything. All your “tracks” are in a list in an index and you highlight/select/mute/solo them from there. And yes, it needs to be better and more granular/flexible/bus-able/mix-able etc. Another version of X or so, and Walter Murch could use Roles for his famous FCP Classic timeline. He wouldn’t need such a big screen. 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    July 31, 2013 at 11:25 pm in reply to: Why the Magnetic Timeline is Good…

    [Michael Garber] “Carsten –

    This is great to know. Didn’t know you could do that. Thanks!”

    I just went and redid some music cuts and uh… it’s great. I’ve been using expanded components with dialog in the primary, but never thought of using secondary’s and components this way for music. Great tip Carsten! Love this stuff 😀

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Nikolas Bäurle] “I believe the problem its about the nature of big houses. There’s not as much room for experimentation, things need to work almost immediately.”

    Exactly. I think that’s why people are looking at PPro over X. It’s a fine program, but mostly it behaves pretty similarly to FCP 7. There’s a learning curve, but it’s generally figuring out which button does what. Other than that it’s the same old workfolw… Most larger places don’t have a lot of down time to experiment.

    Once you can just drop X into a large workflow, (which you kinda can do now but a few more pieces need to come together), I think more folks will give it a look.

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    July 31, 2013 at 10:42 pm in reply to: Why the Magnetic Timeline is Good…

    [Carsten Orlt] “I can then extend the audio of either side underneath the other without shifting the cut point.”

    Actually I never thought about cutting music using components that way… Nice! More fun!

    [Carsten Orlt] “I can line up beats in the waveform perfectly by just looking at them and are not restricted by frames! and “

    Love subframe audio editing. Love. Makes things so much easier and better sounding. Music, Dialog cheats. Anything audio related requiring real precision.

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Aindreas Gallagher] “My problem is still the enforced, from mars (for current editors) timeline vocabulary/methodology Apple decided on.
    It’s still just in too much of a bubble. I get that if you grok it you reap rewards – “

    I’m tellin ya man, once it clicks, it’s pretty sweet. Honestly, i’ve been cutting real work in X since 10.0.4, and I’m still having little “aha!” moments. and like i said, When I go to cut in a “traditional” NLE, that’s where I feel “enforced”.

    I’ll agree it’s hard to get used to coming from decades fo doing it pretty much the same in all NLE’s. I’ll agree that it needs polish and enhancement. But it’s not a mess at all.

    I’ve been porting some spots today for the technophobes. This nice, clean, easily searchable (to me, and anyone familiar with use of X’s index) sequence, that’s fits in my screen with a decent sized Edit Monitor window:

    Becomes this, busy, ugly, mess, that I could only fit all of by making the Edit Monitor the size of a postage stamp and overlapping it.

    Yes, i could play Track Tetris and compact it, but the it wouldn’t be all nicely split out and organized. It would be a big mess, with dialog and FX all mixed up etc. The X timeline can be muted, soloed, manipulated with a mouse click. It may look like a mess, but it most certainly is not. Anyone who knows X could sit down in front of it, and in 10 seconds figure out what everything in that timeline is. Just like the 7 timeline taking up all that space with it’s tracks.

    Sorry, just on a tear today because i have to take my nice X spots and waste time making them accessible to Luddites. 😉

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Michael Garber] “7. Having to stop and thing, “how would I do this in FCP X vs another NLE?” Although I do consider that a good thing since it forces me to think about how I’m going to organize for the edit.”

    Once you get past that point is when it really gets fun, though it’s true of any new thing right? Honestly, lately I find the opposite to be true. In other NLE’s I need to stop and think how this “used to work”. 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

Page 194 of 258

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy