Forum Replies Created

Page 195 of 258
  • [Neil Goodman] “Picking up huge chunks of clips and dropping them wherever, while FCPX moves everything else out of the way and back into place is a huge timesaver. Great use of magnetism in the timeline. “

    Love this. Also love being able to rough cut using connected clips, with all the freedom that entails (like 7, PPro etc). Then, pop bits of the cut down to the primary when its “locked” for transitions and all the ripply goodness (Like MC) And then being able to pop stuff out and back in again as needed.

    [Neil Goodman] “Ive heard some say the lack of tracks saves time because of no track assignments but i think it takes less time to properly patch tracks in the first place with a key command (ALA AVID), then to drop stuff wherever, and then later to select roles”

    Assign the Roles in the event before you cut stuff in. Insanely easy, even with multichannel sources that need separate Roles. If you forget you can always do it in the Project as well. Ultimately way faster than patching, even using the KB.

    [Neil Goodman] “Also key-wording, and favorites, takes the the same amount of time as properly labeling clips and subclipping does in any other NLE at least in my findings, although i do like how the events can be sorted to show only this or that, etc. “

    The actual process is pretty similar time-wise. But what you can do with the data you enter is a huge timesaver.

    [Neil Goodman] “that theyve increased there productivity tenfold. Id like to do this too.”

    I dunno about tenfold lol. But honestly, a lot of the stuff folks don’t really crow about is what really sppeds things up for me. Searching, selecting clips from the index. Enabling/Disabling/Highlighting Roles from the index. Skimming in general is great once you get used to it, but Clip Skimming? I LLOOOVVE that. Makes things so much faster for me. Whats this clip? no need to solo, just skim the clip.
    Also, Once you get all the KB shortcuts in your muscles, cutting really screams. For me anyway…

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    July 31, 2013 at 8:40 pm in reply to: Why the Magnetic Timeline is Good…

    [Warren Eig] “Also away to just put SND FX on “track” 4 and they stay there.

    Be able to checkerboard dialogue on “track” 1 & 2. Room tone on “Track” 3, etc.”

    Well, you pretty much can do that already using secondary story lines, though there’s clearly room for improvement…

    [Warren Eig] “This way when you want to send and OMF or AAF to Protools everything is where is should be.”

    With X2Pro, this is a total non-issue. Just tell it which Roles to include, and where to put them in the ProTools timeline. 2 or 3 mouse clicks and you’re done. even if your timeline was a disorganized mess. It’s awesome. Honestly that’s why I’m so annoyed today in FCP 7. Wasting time telling the app where stuff should go. Tracks suck. 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    July 31, 2013 at 7:20 pm in reply to: Why the Magnetic Timeline is Good…

    [Jeremy Garchow] “but the ripple and magnetic timeline is much easier to manipulate once I got the hang of it, just as Charlie’s post alludes to.”

    Yes. Next week, I’m on vacation, and it’s likely a bunch of spots I’ve cut (in X) will go to finish while I’m out. Not sure which of about 10 spots will though. So right now, because the other editors who will be here are scared of X, I’m in the process of transferring all 10 into FCP 7. It’s awful. Xto7 does a great job, and I have to spend a little time deleting disabled Roles that come over etc. That’s a PITA, but not too bad. The awful part is just working in the damn timeline. Not having things like clip skimming, clip soloing that actually works, no ability to move audio in subframe increments, no index, no Roles, clips crashing into each other, etc etc etc. on and on and on. It absolutely, totally, unequivocally sucks.

    In closing, I’d like to encourage all editors (nobody specific of course… just generally) to stop being such lazy, whiney, babies and learn how to use X. You have no idea what you’re missing. Not a clue. Yeah, it’s different than MC, 7, PPro, whatever. Boo freaking hoo. It’s better. And yes, I’m annoyed. 😉

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    July 31, 2013 at 6:56 pm in reply to: Why the Magnetic Timeline is Good…

    [Joshua Pearson] “I want to cut it at the very end, I really would like that new little end piece to stay where it is and not float up toward the timeline”…. “i understand how roles does the same thing, but i.e. i like my music all to sit on 11,12,13,14, not checkerboarding all over the place like it might do in FCPX…”

    Totally agree. And again, think Apple will come up with some way to make roles stick together. That would solve it for me. In your example, if the little end piece either stayed put, or just moved a lane or 2 but stayed in the music “group” I’d be fine with that. You?

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    July 31, 2013 at 5:03 pm in reply to: Why the Magnetic Timeline is Good…

    [Warren Eig] “Of course I’d like the option for tracks. Sort of a preference turn on/off magnetic timeline if I am editing a feature film. “

    I think (hope) we’ll get the option to color code Roles, and/or get the ability to have Roles “stick” together, and possibly get routed/comped to a separate audio bus. Sort of an invisible compound clip… Something like that. Also maybe the ability to selectively disable connections on the Role level, rather than all or nothing as it is now. I honestly think that would bring back pretty much what everyone misses about fixed tracks. IMO, anything that brings back non-magnetic fixed tracks would be an enormous mistake. And I don’t see it happening.

    Using the combo of Roles and the timeline index is really pretty amazing. It doesn’t matter where anything is in the timeline, you can find it, select it, and then do whatever you want to it. Zoom in on a clip at the front of your timeline, add some effects/eq etc. Copy it. Find and select all the similar clips in the index. Paste effects. No need to zoom out or even look at the timeline. Is there room for improvement? Yep. 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    July 31, 2013 at 3:50 am in reply to: Why the Magnetic Timeline is Good…

    I should add that I have no top-secret insider info here, but I’ve had the occasional conversation with folks at Apple. When I mentioned “track tetris” in other NLE’s, I was told that that’s what the developers call it too. I think that’s a pretty good sign. 😉

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    July 31, 2013 at 3:22 am in reply to: Why the Magnetic Timeline is Good…

    [Jeremy Garchow] “I, too, really really like the magnetic timeline. I don’t want these fundamentals to change, and I really hope Apple continues development in this area instead of halt it and change back to a tracked method.”

    I have it on fairly good authority that that will never happen. 🙂 They’ll enhance it, beef it up, whatever, but Track Tetris will not be coming back. Thank God.

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    July 27, 2013 at 12:14 am in reply to: Using FCPX as your Online editor

    [Jordan Mena] “It’s the Final part of the project where you need to put everything back together in FCPX “

    Gotcha… maybe Resolve 10 will magically do it. 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    July 26, 2013 at 11:00 pm in reply to: Using FCPX as your Online editor

    [Jordan Mena] “My question then is: has anyone created a REAL Online workflow in FCPX. Using a workprint and being able to use connected clips as a way of having your original shots underneath with your VFX shots above.”

    If I import fcpxml from a project with multiple layers of video into Resolve, all the layers remain in the order in which I laid them out. Does this not work when you do it? I don’t know squat about resolve, but I just tried it and it works…

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • Charlie Austin

    July 26, 2013 at 10:27 pm in reply to: finalcut 7 to x images smaller

    [Bryce Douglass] “There is one slight issue and it’s that all the images that are way to small even when the canvas in the full size. Do you know who to fix this?”

    Images meaning stills? or your video? Either way… Highlight an “image” in the timeline. Open the Inspector. Click the “Video” button. Scroll down to Spatial Conform, and click on the word “show” that appears when you mouse over it. There are 3 “Type” choices Fit, Fill, None. Experiment with changing those and see if it helps. If you’ve resized the “image” in FCP 7, you’ll probably need to re-do it, I’m not sure if that info gets translated…

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

Page 195 of 258

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy