Charlie Austin
Forum Replies Created
-
[Steve Connor] “So have you switched to Premiere Pro?”
Nope. 😉
[Steve Connor] “For me it certainly feels like the NLE that FCP8 may have been, I’m interested to see what other peoples experiences are.”
I agree with you there, and it may very well be better suited at this point for the type of job you’re on now. For me though, cutting quick turnaround TV’s and trailers/sizzle reels etc, X smokes everything else. I still have to work in 7, and occasionally Pr CC as well, and I find it not pleasant at all now. IMO of course. 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Eric Rainey] “If you work in a 20 bay environment that is step backwards. At the end of the day or when someone leaves they have to make sure their FCP X Projects/Events are on the network and EVERYBODY forgets and things get messy.”
So, since multiple users cant concurrently edit the same FCP 7 project, how does this work now? Just one project per “job”? I’m not an expert here, but I think to do this in X… just creat a SAN location for each job, (or each bay depending on how you want it organized) and put the Event(s) and Projects in there. Reference the media for your events/projects from wherever it’s currently located. EZ. 🙂 If you put jobs in their own location, any bay can work on any job (one at a time for now) by just mounting the proper SAN location. More or less the same if you have locations for each bay… any bay can open what’s been worked on in another bay by just opening that SAN location (assuming it’s not mounted in another bay)
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Jacob Brown] “pro version 2.1.9
“Cool, so you can trim the files… Jeremy’s idea is the way to go then. 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Jacob Brown] “My export ends up at 5gigs which Post House saying may crash pro-tools.”
Are you using the “LE” version or the “Pro” version?
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
I assume you’ve done so, but hit the feedback page. I know this is an important issue for Apple…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
August 14, 2013 at 10:33 pm in reply to: So what is happening with NLE’s in your area[Herb Sevush] “The ease of printing from the timeline is not to be underestimated, especially when your playing around with fixing inserts.”
Oh, for sure. But it can be done with external apps, though it’s not as easy. That’s not to say it’s not a need, but I can see why Apple might not want to bother with it. We virtually never see tape anymore, but for those who do, it’s a bit of a PITA…
[Herb Sevush] “The one thing the X-bomb taught me is that guessing on what Apple is planning to do is a fools errand.”
LOL.. agreed, though in this situation I think it’s a pretty safe bet based on smoke signals I’ve been seeing… 🙂 We’ll see soon enough…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Herb Sevush] “FCPX has a very long way to go to match Avid in collaborative editing,”
True.
[Herb Sevush] “many broadcasters still need tape delivery”
Also true, but it’s trivially easy to spit out 4444 or uncompressed files and master to tape using something like BMD Media XPress or other similar apps. I always thought FCP7’s edit to tape function kinda sucked anyway, but that’s obviously just my opinion. Plenty of folks like it…
[Herb Sevush] “and having to go thru FCP7 for OMF is a joke.”
Absolutely but… using X2Pro to make audio aaf’s is freaking brilliant. As a former mixer, I always spent a fair amount of time prepping tracks from 7 or whatever for mix. When I cut, the timeline is kind of a mess because I need to work quickly. I could care less if everything’s all nicely separated, I just want t to fit in the window so I can see it. So… prior to finish, I’d split everything out nicely. This can take a little time when what you end up with takes up to 24 or more – sometimes a lot more – tracks. You know the drill. In X using X2Pro, I essentially just push a button and it’s done. It’s awesome.
[Herb Sevush] “All of the high end features they added back were added back in the first year, I don’t see any great development pace over the past 12 months.”
Again, true. But what we also know is that there is a “new” version coming out soon. My guess is that the app got “forked” around the time .06 came out. the .0x version got maintenance, bug fixes, and a couple random features. Meanwhile all the new goodness is going into .1 or whatever it is. Time will tell. 😉
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Herb Sevush] “nobody else has hopped aboard the trackless bandwagon”
What’s your definition of nobody? People you know? People who you respect? People on The Cow? I’ve hopped aboard, isn’t that enough? lol
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Herb Sevush] “Do you edit on Lightworks? Sony Vegas? Edius? Why would I try X ahead of them?”
Hey, I was having a bad day… 😉 But, since you asked, because they have tracks. 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
August 2, 2013 at 3:13 pm in reply to: FCPX Speed and workflow increases ? Real World examples?[Aindreas Gallagher] “but charlie – TV, broadcast, media whatever – its expanding, look at netflix for god’s sake, or where youtube and amazon are going – and in its case torrenting is shown to be a multiplier
you’re making a pretty weird argument and I don’t think it accurately represents where things are going?”
I’m not arguing that it’s going away, just that the monolithic, central control is going away. I think that the music industry – in the sense of the amount of people making and distributing music – is larger than it’s ever been… Instead of a few people/companies making all the money, there are now thousands… millions of people making.. less money. 🙂
I’m just saying that the current visual media production and distribution model is undergoing the same transformation. The system that dictates that you must use this system or that system to produce your media because that’s what we require, is crumbling… slowly…
[Aindreas Gallagher] “we nearly had them charlie. they were on the run. Now its middle aged Avid dicks crowing about their clapped out software as far as the eye can see.”
LOL… For the moment, maybe. I don’t think it’s over yet. I’m in the heart of the machine, and I can see the cracks forming… 😉
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~