Charlie Austin
Forum Replies Created
-
[Jeremy Garchow] “You will stack them on top of your Jaz drives.”
Yeah, but it’s a workaround. Also, I’ve been plugging things in the same way for years. Now, “they” have decided that I need to plug things in differently?! Why?! Everything works fine right now. I want everything to stay exactly the same. Forever.
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Damnit! What will I do with all my ZIP Drives now?!?! Don’t these uncaring companies realize how many ZIP Drives I have?!? My workflow depends on ZIP Drives! I’m going to boycott them until they add a SCSI connector!!!!
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
September 3, 2013 at 10:28 pm in reply to: Excellent blog on FCP X workflow shortcomings[Walter Soyka] “Yes, totally true. I was excited about that addition! Sorry I was so unclear.”
No biggie, just wanted to clarify for those reading who may not be aware of that recent change… 😉
[Walter Soyka] “I think it shouldn’t be easy to accidentally make a destructive change to a file — but it shouldn’t be hard to do it on purpose, either.”
I’m with you on that…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
September 3, 2013 at 10:20 pm in reply to: Excellent blog on FCP X workflow shortcomings[Walter Soyka] “Ignoring really important metadata (in the container format Apple themselves invented, no less) doesn’t strike me as a good example of clearing out the old to make way for the new.”
Just to nit-pick… X doesn’t ignore the Reel Name (embedded in the QT TC track) anymore, you just can’t change it from within X. I could be mistaken, but now that I think of it I’m not sure you can do anything destructive to master files from within X…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
September 3, 2013 at 5:03 pm in reply to: Excellent blog on FCP X workflow shortcomings[Herb Sevush] “I’ve never had any issues changing tc or reel#s from within FCP, so I don’t know what buggines your referring to, and yes it’s a lot more convenient to do it within the NLE.”
Well, to be fair it may have to do with modifying master files on a shared drive, but I’ve had master files become unusably corrupted doing this in the old FCP. I’ve also had the modified reel names not “stick” for lack of a better term. As a result, I’ve never really trusted it, though it’s mostly worked fine with local files. QTEdit is pretty awesome, as it lets you do all sorts of metadata manipulation. Again, personal preference…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
September 3, 2013 at 4:47 pm in reply to: Excellent blog on FCP X workflow shortcomings[Herb Sevush] ” There is nothing about the X database structure that prohibits it from embedding the info into both it’s own Dbase and the Quicktime file itself other than a lack of will to do so.”
Probably true, but honestly, I always found FCP Classics ability to modify files kinda of buggy anyway. QTEdit, from digital rebellion is way more powerful and user friendly for this sort of task. That’s what I use these days. I honestly prefer an app designed for a specific task rather than the swiss army knife approach, but I understand why some prefer it all to be built in.
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Marcus Moore] “Maybe I’m missing something but…”
Yeah, i wondered about that one too… 😉
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
FWIW, I have multi-button mouse. The scroll wheel mapped to arrow L-R and the thumb button mapped to Blade. Works that way in 7 and Pr as well. Super easy, find it hard to work without it…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[David Mathis] “7. The ability to disable connected clips”
~ + SHIFT does that now. (hit ~ first and hold, then press SHIFT) Hitting ~ again turns connections back on…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Marcus Moore] “‘m not a programer, but I’d imagine with that kind of turnaround time, you’re somewhat limited in how “deep” you can dig into the code. So the features we’ve seen are ones that could be hung on the current framework: multicam, broadcast monitoring, XML improvements, Event Viewer, RED support, etc..”
I think you’re right… Often during app development code gets “forked”, so the released version gets maintenance and the occasional feature, while the “new” version is being built. That’s probably what’s going on…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~