Charlie Austin
Forum Replies Created
-
[Gary Huff] “[tony west] “He was talking about first putting something in the timeline and selecting the track that you put it in.”
I don’t work that way.”
I was talking about patching tracks. Whether putting something in an empty timeline, or making revisions to an existing cut/version/whatever. I’m surprised you never need to do that.
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Gary Huff] “Except I haven’t worried about my NLE in a while either. FCPX is not new in that regard.”
Before you cut something in to the timeline in your NLE, do you have to make sure that the correct audio tracks are included or not, and make sure you’re not going to overwrite existing clips in the timeline?
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Aindreas Gallagher] “[James Ewart] “After all it’s only a bit of software.”
exactly.”
NO! It’s the bestest most wonderfulest perfect thing ever in the history of creativity! uh… Wait! I meant to say… It’s the most awful, hideous abomination ever foisted on the innocent souls of the creative community!
Nah… just software. 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Oliver Peters] “No, we can just rename it to “FCP X – What were they thinking!?””
LOL… I think we should change it to that now!
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
November 2, 2013 at 5:31 pm in reply to: Dragging content independently of transform frame[Andy Neil] “Basically, this shouldn’t be happening.”
Yes, a screenshot of what’s in the timeline at this frame would help….
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Oliver Peters] “I would add that the Coens also were cutting on FCP BEFORE Murch cut “Cold Mountain” on it. In fact their move gave him some confidence in proceeding.”
So, when some “respected” artist cuts their film on X, can we shut down this forum? 😀 I mean, I had cut stuff on FCP “Classic” that was in theaters and on TV before the Coens used it. But I don’t have an IMDB listing so I guess it doesn’t count. 😉
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[James Ewart] “I’m pretty happy with X. Plenty of people are. It seems more people seem to be taking notice. It’s rather fun to work with. To me going back into 7 or PP feels like the stone age.”
Setting all the other pros and cons of X vs. other NLE’s aside, the biggest advantage of X to me as an editor is that essentially the only decision you have to make before performing an edit, is creative:
     Select source I/O, cut into timeline. Make technical decisions (what audio channels do I need etc) later.
     Or not at all. (am I going to overwrite something? What is it? How do I prepare the timeline to avoid that?)Every other NLE I’m aware of requires you to make some technical decisions before you can make an edit. Some more than others, but with fixed tracks, there’s no way around it. You have to, at the very least, make some patching decisions before you perform an edit. Having made those decisions every day for a couple decades, not having to make them is… fun. 🙂 And that’s just one thing, there are countless others…
The other day I was cutting on 3 NLE’s, X, 7, and Pr. I’m sure anyone who’s is proficient in all 3 would agree that the latter 2 are not even in the same universe as far as letting you focus on your cut.
[James Ewart] “But if FCP X disappears tomorrow and I end up using Premiere after all I won’t lose any sleep either.”
I’m with you there, I’d sleep well too. Though I’d spend more time cursing at the screen. 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Simon Ubsdell] “https://clipexporter.mindtransplant.com/”
Great little app. 🙂 Sadly, as I was looking at the page just now, I read this:
“ClipExporter utilizes QTKit…”
I say sadly because QTKit is now deprecated (which is why people have issues with previewing certain files in 10.9) Since ClipExporter is open source, maybe someone will rework it to use AV Foundation…
Good news is it still works for now. 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
October 29, 2013 at 10:49 pm in reply to: Exporting with roles as multitrack Quicktime reliable for you?[Tangier Clarke] “As I’ve stated before, this performance for FCP X multitrack Quicktime exports has been inconsistent; sometimes working flawlessly and other times not working at all. Perhaps it’s a bug.”
Very possible, I assume you’ve sent feedback… 🙂 I do think the workaround would be to actually disable everything but the mix for export. That way you need not duplicate the project to delete the audio. I’ve had no problem with multitrack exports, but most of mine have been simple, and not attempting to exclude anything, just assign Roles to discrete stereo pairs in the multitrack QT…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
October 29, 2013 at 10:37 pm in reply to: Exporting with roles as multitrack Quicktime reliable for you?[Tangier Clarke] “Here’s a pic of a piece of my storyline and the share setup window:”
I think I see the problem…. deselecting Roles in the timeline index does not disable them. It’s essentially for monitoring purposes. If you export a timeline with all roles deselected, it will still have audio, To truly disable all audio, you need to select it in the timeline and hit “V”. Do this before you add your stems and you should be good to go. Now, the fact that you’re only selecting the mix role and still getting other audio is odd, but if you disable (not just deselect/mute it) everything else it shouldn’t be a problem..
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~