Forum Replies Created

Page 176 of 258
  • [Andy Branner] “Overwrite the bottom clips to the primary (⌘⌥↓) and you might have yourself a screenshot for the editor’s timeline. :)”

    lol. Honestly, it’s not that special, clearly one can pile up clips/FX in any NLE. It was that little TKY Grid Generator (thanks Simon!) and being able to do it all easily in the TL (clip skimming was invaluable) that made it cool for me…

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Aindreas Gallagher] “no, I’m afraid its a silly little editor is FCPX. “

    :Insert Silly Walk Sketch here:

    [Aindreas Gallagher] “much regarded… by those who like a yankee automatic shift sayyy, for those who say there is nothing to be gained and much to be lost by manual control. I mean really – how does that make sense honestly? another man’s automatic is more creative control? Lunacy.

    (broad british accent read for that paragraph anyway.)”

    :insert Argument sketch here:

    [Aindreas Gallagher] “How could an automatic be preferable? mmm? ;)”

    OK, I’d like to modify the analogy. It’s more like an F1 or Dragster version of an AT. Not 3 on the tree. 🙂

    Anyway, the following has nothing to do with anything, but after posting the silly clip above, I found the project and opened it up. Cut quite some time ago (X 10.0.6?), on a fully decked out Mac Pro. It didn’t play very well without rendering. Now, on my silly little iMac running the latest version of the silly editor, it plays just fine, no rendering required. Here’s a screenshot from the ancient, crappy, system. Back when I was confused by, and afraid of the primary. Those were the days…

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Aindreas Gallagher] ”
    that is the moment of original sin. That’s when tracks and everything else died.”

    And good riddance. 🙂 I understand the utility of fixed tracks, occasionally in X I miss them. But when I’m cutting in Pr or 7 (like today) I wish i could get rid of them. You can mimic tracks in X if you want. Hell, you can cut like MC, 7,Pr or any combination of the 3. You can’t do that in other NLE’s though. You work the way the software wants you too, like it or not.

    And as to the “simplified” timeline… First, it’s as simple or as complex as you want it to be. And second, in that “simple” timeline you can,simply, do things like the clip below (that got cut from the final spot sadly…) without ever leaving the timeline. No round tripping. No other apps. No graphics department. Just a little plugin (from TKY coincidentally) and a goofy idea.

    Fun with FCP X

    There’s nothing groundbreaking or original about that clip. It was just really easy to do in the “simple” timeline. The Motion engine, clip skimming in the pile of clips, CC’s etc made working with 13 layers of resized, retimed video and a generator a breeze. The hardest part was picking the shots. Simple.

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Simon Ubsdell] “[Charlie Austin] “RMAGS”

    Just had a Proustian moment!
    “

    lol… hope it didn’t ruin your day…

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Simon Ubsdell] “I keep reminding myself that I had the same issues with Legacy when I moved over to it.

    And with Media Composer when it first appeared on the planet. Talk about workflow issues!”

    mmm… audio layoff’s to DAT one track at a time, dysfunctional EDL’s … RMAGS… good times… >:-|

    [Simon Ubsdell] “But seriously you are the best advocate for X around – mainly because you never overestimate the virtues.”

    I dunno about that, I’m just selfish. The more people in my tiny niche use X, the more likely it is that I’ll be able to continue using it. Really, at this point, it’s pretty easy to move stuff between X, 7, and Pr (MC, not so much…) So maybe I’ll get my wish even if nobody uses it. 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Simon Ubsdell] “BTW, Charlie, while I’ve got you, I just want to say a big thank you for your level-headed X posts which have got me moving a lot of my current trailer projects over … and finding it a whole lot of fun to work with,”

    My pleasure. I’m in the same boat really, love cutting in X, want to tear my hair out when I hit certain workflow bottlenecks. It just keeps getting better though, so I keep slogging away. I’m pretty sure most of the hair pulling stuff will get sorted out eventually. Or I hope it will. What keeps me in it is the way it works when I cut. Traditional timelines are really annoying to me now.

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Marcus Moore] “If PP is now FCP8- where’s the new PremierPro?!”

    Vegas baby! 😉

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Andy Branner] “Thinking that they started on iMovie, saw that it worked so they just slapped a few more features and a Pro moniker on it, defies any and all logic if you look at the facts.”

    It’s pretty well established that “First Cut” became iMovie 09, and eventually FCP X. And I’m sure they probably were working on X at the same time, but the iMovie version, which could (or already had as First Cut?) take code from earlier versions and wrap the new UI ideas around, was finished first.

    Chicken? Egg? Both delicious if properly cooked… 🙂

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Simon Ubsdell] “His “leapfrog” idea really does seem to sum the whole thing up perfectly, damn him!”

    I dunno if it’s correct, it just seems logical in hindsight…

    [Simon Ubsdell] “Next up, Charlie Austin on the Middle East crisis.”

    lol, that defies logic I’m afraid… :-/

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

  • [Walter Soyka] “Given that your worthless opinions seem spot on, I’m eagerly looking forward to you sharing some worthwhile ones!”

    lol… Sorry, all worthless. 🙂 I hope they put Trailer Templates in FCPX, my job will become much easier. 😀

    …until I lose it to an intern. 🙁

    ————————————————————-

    ~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
    ~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

Page 176 of 258

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy