Bret Williams
Forum Replies Created
-
Transitions yes. Clips no.
Transitions – Set the default transition to whatever you need. The select the range of clips and drag them to the canvas window and select overwrite with transition. It’ll edit them into the timeline where the playhead is and where you’re patched. It’s obvious after you try it.
-
I used HDLog recently and the app is super easy to use and setup. Too bad the 40k dollar Sony DVCam didn’t have firewire out so that I could also capture media while we logged. But if that was the case, I would have simply used FCP on the same laptop instead. With all the downtime between setups, I think I could’ve had half the show edited by the end of the shoot. Not to mention catch a few foulups that would make editing easier if we reshot right then. I’m sure Sony has a good reason for not putting firewire on those expensive cams, but sticking on everything that costs less than $500.
One thing that was annoying when we exported the log to FCP, and it’s really yet just another idiotic idiosyncracy. When logging the shoot, I’d name the shot something like “Open 2 shot.” There is a field for take and scene so for once I thought I’d actually use them. It incremented each perfectly, keeping the name the same. So when we exported/imported to FCP, I didn’t see the option to add the take and scene to the clip name. Which is fine, we have columns for that in FCP. No need. But FCP got all annoyed when I tried to batch the 100+ clips, which amounted to about 10 setups and 10 pickups/takes/angles, etc because the clips names were going to be the same. You’d think there’d be a checkbox in FCP that simply says “increment file names on hard drive automatically” but no, I had to do them all by hand before it would begin to batch capture. Not that big a deal, just took a couple minutes, but what if I had 2 weeks of shots?
-
I just noticed it the other day after upgrading to the UB. Don’t know when it came out, but it’s at least new to 5.1.x.
-
YES, you can complain all you want in any case. Free country. But don’t you give higher credance to someone complaining about someone they voted for vs. someone they voted against? There’s gonna be an “I told you so” in there somewhere!
Now if someone says all the candidates are crap, but they they vote for one and continue to complain about that candidate it’s the same principle. Whereas they could say “see, told ya so” if they didn’t vote for anyone.
Anyway, it was just a rant from George. Rants from comedians seem to make more sense live. Kinda like promises from candidates.
-
Bret Williams
November 7, 2006 at 11:17 pm in reply to: dupplicated frames after importing footage in FCPIsn’t that just 24fps placed into a 30fps timeline? That’s what you’d see, 4 frames then a repeat. Just like a movie DVD.
-
Before you export anything, render everything and mix down the audio. That should cover all the keyframe and missing effects and stuff. Somehow FCP likes to render out to aiff as if it’s having a hard time playing back real time effects, when essentially it should be rendering everything. Obviously a bug in the media management. If everything insn’t rendered and mixed down, it’s kind of a guess which files FCP will choose for the export. If you render all and mixdown and you like how it sounds and looks in Final Cut, then that’s what you’ll get on output/export.
-
Probably just need to do an item level render on the audio clip to bring it in line with whatever specs hdv is using. Highlight it in the timeline and do an item level audio render. Often forgotten FCP function that is a wonderful thing. It’ll conform the audio to the sequence settings and you can move it around, adjust levels, etc. without it becoming unrendered. Here’s hoping they come out with the same feature for video!
-
It’s always worked for me even before the update. Perhaps I have a different workflow. But I’ve made title rolls which I update later (by making them shorter or longer, etc.) and they work. Maybe you should always make the psd canvas larger than neccessary from the begining. That’s something I always do. Maybe that’s the difference.
-
I’ve contemplated the idea that there should be some option like that. Perhaps a certain percentage of voters have to turn out or a certain percentage of voters that DO turn out have to actually pick a candidate. If they chose none of the above then it counts to an invisible 3rd party of sorts. It’d be a way to vote that you’re unappy without voting for someone you probably think is just as bad. “None of the above” would most likely be the clear winner in many elections. 🙂
-
Unless – as suggested by George Carlin, you’d like the right to complain….