Bret Williams
Forum Replies Created
-
Bret Williams
November 16, 2006 at 11:12 pm in reply to: Audio Waveforms – Walter, I need your input[Wayne Carey] “I’m an editor that lives by audio waveforms so that I can edit. Its like editing without a monitor to see the video. Its tough to do, but it can be done.”
I’ve heard others say this and I can’t figure out what they’re being used for myself. All they do for me is slow things down. Good thing you’re not a tape to tape editor I guess I’m used to scrubbing and marking on the fly. I utilize waveforms in the viewer when editing VO into the timeline, only because it’s easy to see where the next take is going to be, but that’s about all the use I get out of them. Everyone’s different.
-
I think perhaps the actual confusion here is that he’s bumping up the blacks in FCP to make them look right on the scopes in FCP. All blacks in FCP should be at zero, not 7.5. They should be bumped up to 7.5 when output as analog. Your deck or card should be set to do this. As well, the deck or card should be set to strip setup from any analog sources. Unfortunately, the cheaper line of DVCam decks neither bump up nor strip blacks (like the DSR-11).
-
Use an applicable preset in compressor.
-
I don’t find Title 3D that easy to do a glow myself. Never can seem to get the settings the way I like. But yeah. I was thinking you said Boris wasn’t working, but you meant Continum. Title 3D should work. Continum as well from what I’ve read.
-
Yeah, it will. Just have to blow out the glow (line softness) and have a basic understanding of composite modes. Use Apple’s glow text generator for some truly good blown out glows, and use the ADD composite mode to have the blown out text interact with your video for an even more realistic effect. If yoiu need the glow to be infront of the text as well, you can use a duplicate layer, with glow on the front layer, and glowless text on background layer.
Ahhhh, the good ol days before plugins… or not.
-
You can do standard glows with the Apple outline text generator or the regular text generator and a shadow with 0 offset. Change the shadow color, keyframe the opacity, use different modes to apply over text. Usually stuff like multiply, hard light, etc.
-
Not that I endorse stealing, but the trick is to burn a cd, then simply use the file off the cd.
-
I’m running on an old G4 dual gig with the latest OS and latest FCP. Only 2gigs of RAM and I run whatever app I want. Usually I’ll have PS, Safari, Mail, Squeeze, Illustrator, etc. all open at the same time on this system and FCP doesn’t skip a beat. None of it does. I want to upgrade, but everything works! Can’t run Motion on this system, but I’m still an AE kinda guy anyway and that runs just great. I can’t remember the last time FCP, or any app, crashed.
-
I think both have to be mounted. I think spanned means it’s across 2 cards. If you camera has 2 card slots it’ll keep recording onto the next card. So it needs both cards (folders) to be mounted in the window. Working on my first P2 project right now and ran across a couple spanned clips, but I was mountng multiple folders at once and all the “spanned” clips came in just fine.
A lesson of wisdom I’m told… DO NOT change the name of the clip anywhere for any reason. That little alpha numeric code is gold to relinking if you ever have a crash. Sure you’ve got timecode, but if you don’t have the clip/file name you’ll have to look at each clip’s timecode to figure out which one to relink. Kinda backwards compared to tape.
-
I guess I’m saying that that doesn’t sound like very good pay at all. Especially with the cost of living in LA. General corporate work here in Atl will garner 2500 a week, and the cost of homes alone makes that number more like 3500 a week in LA. Bizarre.