Forum Replies Created

Page 585 of 699
  • Bret Williams

    April 8, 2007 at 1:39 am in reply to: Frame drops…Got any ideas?

    Don’t know what codec and all you’re using, but in squeeze, one option is to “drop frames to maintain data rate.” That’d be one you DON’T want to check. Or check it and lower your data rate. Actually, I just looked at a clip. That appears to be really low quality and a really low data rate. The frame size seems a little small as well. Unless you’re aiming at modem users, which would be pointless for video, you can keep a 500-700kb/sec data rate.

  • Bret Williams

    April 7, 2007 at 6:31 pm in reply to: RAM or Processor? Which one should I prioritize?

    Minimum RAM will grind any system to a halt. Any CPU out there is plenty for what is being proposed. The CPU is used for real time and rendering. RAM is needed for opening large projects and other software at the same time. FCP is a RAM hungry beast and in my experience it, AND OSX, operate better and crash less (if ever) with a couple gigs of RAM in the machine.

    If you go with a minimum, like 1 gig, you really shouldn’t run more than just Final Cut. You could split the difference and get 2 gigs, and a 2.66.

  • Bret Williams

    April 6, 2007 at 6:10 pm in reply to: FCP history

    [rafalaos] “since 1.985 and I remember the first time I tried to learn Premier (!966) I felt really uncomfortable. It was like that has nothing to do with my job. I just gave up. But first time I tried FC (2.001”

    What’s with the bizarre dates with periods and exclamation points? I think the latter is a typo.

  • Bret Williams

    April 6, 2007 at 5:51 pm in reply to: FCP history

    Interesting post, since I worked at Ga Tech in 1993, where the first video cube in Georgia, version 1.0, was put into service. I’d never heard of Avid. When I finally saw one a year later, it was at the point where it could play back 30 frames/sec (not 60 fields) on a computer screen but not output to any sort of tape really. It was used primarily to create an edl. What a piece of crap I thought.

    The cube was a simple real time ONLY device at the time. There was no option to even composite a couiple layers together. You had 2 real time streams and a graphics layer. But there was no rendering. There were no dropped frames. It was an awesome hardware device. Over the years immix was sold to scitex, and then someone else. The software added layers but no way to manage them. They switched to mjpeg an QT and their hardware and software fell apart. They were first out with 60i nles, and they were in front for a year or so. Media100 jumped in and had the codec, but that’s really about it. Their images were pristine even at 5:1 mjpeg but it took them years to even have a real time dissolve. They too seemed to be bought and sold or mismanaged or soething. The whole time, Avid seemed to keep plugging away at the software and making their codecs better. The whole time the codecs were in line with the power of the hardware at the time is the way I see it. It really wasn’t until around 96 that they had a codec worth broadcasting. AVR77. Sadly, as they grew in dominance over the next 4 years Apple’s hardware couldn’t keep up. Avid threatened leaving the Mac platform. They announced it was some sort of misunderstanding right around the time FCP came out! I always thought the purchase of FCP by apple WAS a completely desperate defensive move. All they had at the time were graphic desingers. Some folks may not even remember that most adobe products weren’t even available on the PC until Windows 95, and they weren’t worth crap for a few years. So with Adobe finally on both platforms, and Avid moving to PC with Symphony only being a Pc product I think Apple was quite worried. They had a niche market if nothing else, Editing and Graphics. That niche could have vanished in a year had Apple not bought FCP. Independent producers and freelancers started using it in conjunction with 3 chip broadcast quality DV cameras. Did Avid or Media100 even support DV? Nope. Avid announces continued support for the mac. Adobe stays the course as well. I think FCP may have saved Apple even more so than the iPod.

  • Bret Williams

    April 6, 2007 at 2:37 pm in reply to: credits on end of movie best way?

    I did make a template credit roll. The truth is that if you want sharp titles, there are only 2 speeds you can roll at. If you want them readable, only one.

    I made a fcp template awhile back with a photoshop file and a fcp project. Just change the text in the ps file and bingo you have a perfect credit roll in the fcp project.

    https://bretwilliams.com/cowstuff/croll.zip

  • Bret Williams

    April 6, 2007 at 3:19 am in reply to: THEY’RE HERE!!! – Dual Quad Cores FS

    It sure is. I was working and I almost missed this link about a new free internet service from google! Check it out…

    https://www.google.com/tisp

  • Bret Williams

    April 5, 2007 at 3:45 am in reply to: Little FCP quirk

    And if you make the tracks their smallest size, insert isn’t an option with the dragging.

  • Bret Williams

    April 5, 2007 at 3:38 am in reply to: Little FCP quirk

    Good god man, have you ever even opened the motion tab? Never expanded the canvas? How do you move a graphic from outside the frame to the other side, outside the frame? I mean, you’ve got to shrink that thing down to see the wireframe offscreen.

    Anyway, yeah I’m in the same boat nevertheless. I’d go as far as to call it a bug. Didn’t always operate that way. My gripe is that if you’re in the sequence window marking in points and you hit f10 or press the red overwrite button to make an edit, the current window changes to the canvas. I guess I understand that if you press the red button it would because the red button is IN the canvas window, but pressing f10 shouldn’t do this. I’m pretty sure it does. But maybe it is just the red button… too lazy to check right now.

  • Bret Williams

    April 4, 2007 at 10:03 pm in reply to: Purging obsolete render files

    Yeah, I still don’t understand what he’s worried about losing. Even if the system crashed. A drive could crash at any time. And if the system crashes during render, just rerender.

    And I’m pretty sure FCP cleans up unused render files on quit. But I could be wrong. Easy enough to test. Maybe tonight.

  • Bret Williams

    April 4, 2007 at 10:00 pm in reply to: 4-500 gig hard drive that i can turn on/off?

    The lacie’s are auto? I always pressed the big blue glowing on/off switch on the front. Have they changed?

Page 585 of 699

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy