Bret Williams
Forum Replies Created
-
You don’t have any memory. 8GB is really a bare minimum to be opening AE and FCPX. Both programs use RAM extensively for caching assets as you go along. I’d start with maxing out the RAM.
-
Bret Williams
April 10, 2015 at 7:04 pm in reply to: FCPx & BM Mini Monitor & interlaced material and fieldsDesktop Video 10.3.7 & OSX 10.10.2
Late 2012 iMac with Flanders LM-2140w monitor.
FWIW when I switch settings in Desktop video, the flanders recognizes and displays what it’s getting like 59.94i or 29.97p etc.
What are your Desktop video settings? Should be set to HD 59.94i and your sequence settings should be 29.97i.
How do you step through field by field btw?
-
Bret Williams
April 10, 2015 at 3:50 am in reply to: FCPx & BM Mini Monitor & interlaced material and fieldsMy BM Ultrastudio express plays back interlaced just fine. If you’re only getting field one, then everything will look half res and stair stepped and blocky. Text especially. Is that what you’re seeing?
I know it has the option to show both fields or a single field when paused (remove jitter setting?), but that preference hasn’t worked in years. It used to give the double field jitter when paused if you didn’t check the remove jitter box. Might only work on HDMI or NTSC but it doesn’t seem to work over SDI.
-
Bret Williams
April 9, 2015 at 1:33 pm in reply to: Adding Transition to Text in Secondary StorylineWhen you have 7 layers stacked up and you want to slide or whoosh between them all, you’ll appreciate those transitions more.
-
I’ve tried photon pro. It’s not as amazing as neat. I was trying it with some super8 footage with some decent results, but there seems to be a threshold. If your footage isn’t totally wacked, then it’s not going to do much, whereas with Neat you have more control and can really dial it in on even just the slightest noisy footage.
But, I didn’t do any major testing. For the price photon is worth a shot. In either case, you’re probably better off exporting the cleaned up footage as a quicktime and bringing it back in so you never have to worry about it coming unrendered and slowing things down.
-
KInda unrelated, but I recently just saw a tutorial on how to split a layer in AE. I thought, surely this must be something other what I was thinking it was. But nope. It was 2+ minutes to say “shift+cmd+d.” I kid you not. It’s like having 2 minutes dedicated to copy and paste. Oh, wait, that’s two things so it’d probably take 5 minutes.
Link bait? Yep.
-
In system prefs. Works for me for Canon 7D, t4i, etc. If I use import it wants to copy, but if I just drag it leaves in place. So yes, that’s what I have checked in prefs under import. I also make keyword collections from folders and tags. That way if we’ve place the card structure within another folder say with the date or camera ops name, it comes across too. But you have to delete the DCIM keyword collections and such that are created. And ignore the warnings that some files can’t be imported because they’re thumbnail files and whatnot.
This idea also seems to work for mxf if you still have the mxf plugins installed after Apple has added native mxf functionality. If you leave the plugs installed you can import file by file and have it copy/repackage or just drag the folder in the finder and have it leave in place.
-
[tony west] “To me, one of the main problems seems to be that after one of those updates, X started to render in the background on it’s own. Even when you have that unchecked in preferences.”
I’ve never seen nor heard of this issue and I feel like I read just about every thread here. Might be time for a clean reinstall of the OS and X. At least a trashing of your prefs.
-
Also, just like DSLR footage, try just dragging the files in the finder to your event/keyword collection. If your preferences are set to leave in place there should be no import. Then you can leave your folder structure intact.
-
Motion is immensely more responsive in the same machine in my experience. I hardly ever have to RAM preview anything. And in AE, you have to RAM preview everything, especially if you want audio.
What I really miss about AE is two things. The render que, and project/media management. In AE I use the render que as a history of all the outputs I’ve done. I also do all my AE stuff for a job inside one AE project. Different versions of assets and everything. With motion this all has to be done in the finder. And when you’re done you can only consolidate the completed stuff on a project by project basis, leaving duplicates of assets all over the place.
Oh yeah, I miss parenting. Having to group or use the link behavior isn’t quite the same thing. But grouping is so much nicer than pre-comps. In AE I wish I could twirl open a precomp. But in Motion I do often wish I could open a group as its own sequence.
Either app has its pluses. But I’ll take the one that’s $50 for life and more responsive myself. And I’ve been using AE since 1996.