Forum Replies Created

Page 117 of 699
  • Bret Williams

    May 23, 2015 at 1:36 am in reply to: Two files from one

    After effects should have this function. And if I’ve missed it, where is it?

  • What do you mean you’d wait?

  • Bret Williams

    May 20, 2015 at 11:44 am in reply to: The new Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz vs 2.8 GHz for FCPX?

    Is it from a i5 to an i7? That’s more than a speed bump. It also has teach like hyper threading if so. Doubling the virtual cores for rendering. Can’t remember if h264 acceleration is in the i5.

  • There might be a simpler way, but I would just draw a line and mask it and feather the mask. Make sure the mask is extremely tall so that the mask feather doesn’t affect the line vertically, just horizontally. Then use an animated crop or another mask on the group animated to wipe/write it on.

    But likely you could color the line with a gradient that also tapers off into transparency and just do a write on. But sounds like that isn’t working.

    You could also use a Luma matte gradient as a gradient wipe but that seems like overkill.

    Or there’s possibly a behavior that does it. Probably a million ways.

    HTH

  • Bret Williams

    May 15, 2015 at 3:06 pm in reply to: FCPX 10.2.1 and Motion 5.2.1 are out

    5.2.1 and still no splash screen. This can’t be good. Also, in my user folder I can see all the hidden system folders. I wonder it Pacifist did that. I used that app to install theProTools update to get rid of those update notifications. Maybe it wacked my splash screen too. I can rag on the app all I want because you know they won’t retaliate. 🙂

  • Bret Williams

    May 15, 2015 at 3:05 am in reply to: FCPX 10.2.1 and Motion 5.2.1 are out

    Since 5.2 my Motion has no splash screen. It did have a splash screen before didn’t it?

  • Bret Williams

    May 13, 2015 at 7:45 pm in reply to: How often does autosave actually autosave?

    You’re discussing two different things. There’s no autosave backups. Autosave saves your file at every x minutes in case you forget to hit save often enough. This is not necessary nor possible in X because it’s constantly updated. You can’t save if you wanted to.

    Backup is saving a time stamped copy of the library project. This works almost exactly like FCP legacy. Except I think you could specify the interval. In X it is either on or off. The interval is seemingly between 10 and 20 minutes IF something has changed. In my system it seems to be about every 15 minutes. And like time machine backups, X seems to delete older ones, leaving just one backup per day for older backups.

  • Perhaps those that were harmed from slavery are owed something. Native Americans and holocaust survivors too. I won’t debate that. I’ll leave that for deeper thinkers than I to figure out. There aren’t many easy answers there. Who should pay for the Jews hardships? An entire race was nearly wiped out. But the criminals mostly that commuted the atrocities were wiped out as well. There are likely holocaust survivors of all sorts entering nursing homes that obviously didn’t have life handed to them. These are tough issues with no real easy answers.

    As to your grandmothers situation, if the nursing home were being paid for by govt then she certainly is getting back more than she paid in. And I certainly realize that nursing homes are expensive. I don’t know if they’re lining their pockets or not. But if they are, why isn’t there a chain of reasonably priced decent nursing homes out there? Or if they’re so insanely lucrative why aren’t there more? We have a couple and it’s my understanding they stay pretty full. When I try to do the math regarding the costs, I have no basis to even guess at the hidden costs of a 24hr medical staff and other staff essentially doing cooking, cleaning, maintenance, etc.. However, if you weren’t in a nursing home, a small apartment could easily cost $1500 a month plus utilities. Weekly maid service hundreds a month. Some sort of transportation, a few hundred. Food $500 a month. And if you’re in a nursing home vs assisted living, then likely you needed 24hr care. An in home caregiver could cost half as much as a nursing home and you’d still be left with mortgages, food, utilities (and a roommate!). So I know very little about nursing home actual expenses, but the more I think about the costs, 6k still seems high, but I assume they want to make a 25% profit on top of their costs. Liability insurance is probably a nightmare too. Maybe 6k isn’t as high as it sounds. When you add up my mortgage, car, utilities, food, it’s probably 3k a month. If I needed a full time live in nurse wouldn’t that easily be another 2k a month? I know there should be an economy of scale in a nursing home, but their pricing is likely hitting a number a 6k/month that leaves relatives saying, well, it’d be almost that if she had her own apt with 24hr nursing care. And then, who does the shopping? When does that nurse get to take time off? Almost need two people!

    So yeah, life is going to get expensive. As the father of a child with muscular dystrophy you can bet I know that. And we’re all a product of our lifetime of decisions. Your grandmother chose a low paying career and if that was her only income it probably has made her later years tougher on her and her relatives wallets. My son didn’t choose his ailment, but yet I’m still not a big government fan and try to stay objective about it.

    For example lets say your grandmother only made $8k a year from ages 20-70. 50 years. She would have paid in 1200 a year to social security. That’s $60k. Sounds like she’ll get that back a few times over. Good deal right? But had she been allowed to invest that 15% in even a modest fund averaging 6.5% compounded interest she’d have $425k banked up. And these days, had it all been in a Roth, it’d be tax free. So that’s some of my math. I’ve often said, even now, that I’ll gladly hand over all the money I’ve put in and want nothing back if I could opt out of the system. Because obviously I could easily do better with that cash than the govt. but that would never be an option as the money I’m putting in is gone. It’s not earning interest. It’s not being used to help the economy. It’s being used to pay for the welfare of our grandparents. And good for them, they paid into it. And they SHOULD get back 10x what they put into it because that’s the kind of money they could have made had they invested it instead. They were robbed by the biggest Ponzi scheme around. The govt doesn’t have money or even earn money they simply spend the earnings of others and that’s a huge amount of power to wield around that shouldn’t be taken lightly. If the govt can mandate I spend $850/mo on insurance why don’t they mandate we invest 10% of our take home pay? It’s certainly be a far better, less riskier investment that would leave us all better off (and less reliant on govt and others) when we’re old. And that’s good for everybody.

  • Bret Williams

    May 12, 2015 at 2:32 am in reply to: project won’t come up but event will

    Assuming you’re running 10.1 or above… If you highlight the library, and scroll to the top it should be there. Make sure you don’t have anything in your search field.

    If not there, did you possibly start your last edit by right clicking a clip and choosing “open in timeline”?

  • I dunno. When audio guys are extremely conservative leaving 20db of headroom, and it’s recorded on one channel, you’re left with a ton of headroom, especially after you pan it to center. For broadcast your peaks might be -12, but that’s really low for the Internet or DVD where there’s no reason not to use the full range. But there is a gain effect. That’s how I bring the up if the +12 isn’t enough.

Page 117 of 699

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy