Bret Williams
Forum Replies Created
-
It’s surprising someone hasn’t been able to write some sort of converter to take the FCP XML or regular old XML and convert that to a motion project. I’m guessing the problem is that Motion doesn’t have any XML import capability. I assume all the code to actually create a motion project is propriety and hidden somehow.
-
Boy that leaves it quite vague does’t it? How long does it take to have basic knowledge of video editing terminology? I’d say a lot more than a month, but it’s quite a subjective little phrase.
-
If 7 won’t send to motion without motion 4 functional then that throws it for a loop. Honestly the couple times I’ve done it, I sent the xml from xto7 over to my old Mac Pro 1,1 running lion and legacy FCP studio 3. I open in FCP 7 and send to motion. When it asks where to create the file I’ll save it on the FCP X system. Then roll my chair back over to the main system and open it in motion 5.
-
You’ve got FCP 7 laying around? You’re just one step from taking it into motion. Instead of importing that XML in AE, open it in 7 and send it to motion. Ignore Motion 4 and open the Motion project it creates in Motion 5.
-
They have this in the finder now. It’s not too bad there. It’s essentially giving you the ability to sort by two criteria instead of just one. You can group/arrange by type, and then within those types sort by size, date, etc. or vice versa. Handy when cleaning up drives I’ve found.
But yep. In X I turn it right off.
-
I meant you can’t get a regular sata drive. Of course you could go higher, but he’s obviously on a budget, but on the other hand there are some things you really will kick yourself for doing without. A good GPU and an i7 and minimum 16gig RAM would fall into those categories. So once he’s made the jump to i7 then he can’t get a standard sata. I didn’t even imagine an SSD was even in the running. Unless you’re putting your media files on the SSD I don’t imagine it’s going to speed much up. What files would be accessed while your playing back a timeline? Library, files, renders, they’re all on an external Raid for me. And the app is loaded in RAM as well as the OS. Shouldn’t fusion’s SSD of 250GB SSD cover the most used files anyway? That’s what Schiller was touting.
-
The fusion is a 1TB sata drive, with a 250GB SDD attached which caches the most used files. In the case of a FCP X user I don’t find it does much except launch your most used apps quicker and launch the OS quicker. Once those are launched they’re in RAM so the fusion shouldn’t be doing much. Quicker file access would be great but as an X user youre not going to use it much because your files should be somewhere else.
That said, once you e decided i7 is the way to go, and it is, so then Apple has painted you in a corner. You basically have little choice but to get the more expensive retina 27″ that you can bump to i7. Fusion is the only choice. I’d just leave it at the 1TB is fine. 2GB will do for the GPU if you have to cut corners. But honestly once you’ve gotten to this point you really might as well bump the GPU for only $200. It’s probably the most important ingredient. I’ve got a 2GB card and if I have FCP open and open AE, it will often tell me I don’t have enough GPU. And if you want to use Resolve, it sucks up GPU like nothing else. Motion too. And Crucial RAM is a bit cheaper than OWC and should be fine.
You’ve got little choice. Apple has tiered it that way.
-
Don’t arrange by date. I always leave mine set to none. It’s ine of those selections in the lower left corner of the browser window.
-
Well then, I think some smart lawyer should point out to GM that if it’s all about the software, which doesn’t wear out or change, that any problem must be a bug. A defect in the software PART of the car and subject to recall and / or free replacement or repair.
-
Used to be kids just vegged out channel surfing and talking on the phone. Now they spend all day reading and writing. SOUNDS like progress.