Forum Replies Created

Page 590 of 701
  • Bob Zelin

    October 31, 2006 at 12:24 am in reply to: MacBookPro, AJA, and Fw800?

    I will email you privately –
    you may have won the award for longest post on this forum in a long time.

    bob Zelin

  • Bob Zelin

    October 31, 2006 at 12:19 am in reply to: 9 Pin Control on IO

    don’t compromise – you should have VTR control. Is your 9 pin cable a good quality cable? Is it an original Sony 9 pin cable ? Are you going thru AB boxes or a RS422 patch panel? Do you have Pro I/O Sony RS422 control selected in the Audio Video settings ? If everything is correct, and it still does not work, you should get a new I/O box – don’t settle ! (you did cycle power on the I/O- didn’t you ?).

    bob Zelin

  • Bob Zelin

    October 30, 2006 at 2:09 am in reply to: MacBookPro, AJA, and Fw800?

    Mark-
    from your post I have determined that you are crazy. You lug around a UVW-1800, a BVW-50, obviously a camera, monitors, 10 SATA drives in a box, and you obviously have no issue with a Magma expansion chassis, but you insist on running all this “portable” gear with a laptop. Are you crazy – your rig is not portable. Get yourself a G5 tower, and stop this nonsense. You know all this stuff works just fine with a G5 (dual, Quad or Mac Pro), and you will have all the slots you need without the Magma, and excuses. I have a great thing for you to buy now – A ROAD CASE WITH WHEELS ON IT to hold your G5 AND all the other crap that you are lugging around – so you can be portable !!!!!

    You don’t need a MacBookPro. A MacBookPro with a Magma and SATA chassis with skinny little eSATA cables ain’t a field package.

    Bob Zelin

  • Bob Zelin

    October 28, 2006 at 11:44 pm in reply to: Kona 3 as a stand alone converter

    yes, if you are willing to dedicate a G5 to this application, the Kona 3 (and all the AJA products) make wonderful stand alone converters. Guess what – this is what AJA really does for a living – the FCP stuff is just the “add on” that many of us use, but you can’t beat AJA converters – and the Kona 3 does just that. Of course, you can purchase an AJA SD to HD upconverter from their broadcast converter line as well (as many TV stations do).

    Bob Zelin

  • Bob Zelin

    October 28, 2006 at 1:51 pm in reply to: new to Mac/FCP/Kona LHe – no crisis, just curious

    these are all guesses, becuase you have not provided great detail, but here you go –
    replies below each question –

    you write
    1. Why does FCP sometimes tell me (erroneously)my deck is in a crisis? Here’s what happened: I first chose a Kona Easy Setup (525 8-bit or 525 8-bit uncompressed) and about ten seconds into the first capture FCP stopped the capture, told me there

  • Bob Zelin

    October 27, 2006 at 11:29 pm in reply to: 9 Pin Control on IO

    you say “Kona I/O” – do you have a Kona board, or an I/O box ? If you did not load in any drivers from the installation CD, or download them from the AJA website, you aint’ gonna get nothing to work on either the Kona, or I/O box. If you have the I/O box, and it reports not finding any serial ports, it’s possible that your firewire cable is not seated properly into the I/O. I urge you to download the AJA Pro I/O Control panel, to make sure that your MAC sees the I/O, and that your firmware is up to date (the Control Panel will tell you in bright red letters if your firmware is not up to date).

    Bob Zelin

  • Bob Zelin

    October 26, 2006 at 1:52 am in reply to: (3) 750 Barracuda drive raid

    this is not accurate information. 4 drives striped RAID 0 is NOT FAST ENOUGH to do RELIABLE uncompressed 8 or 10 bit HD-SDI. I have not tried the Cal Digit chassis that claims that they can do this, but I use Sonnet products all day long, and with 5 Hitachi or Seagate SATA II drives in the Fusion 500P chassis, with the Sonnet E4P, you are LUCKY if you can get PLAYBACK of 8 bit uncompressed HD-SDI – but you will not be able to write 8 bit HD-SDI to this chassis – it is too slow. (we got the playback to work by copying files from another array – it worked, but on the edge). You will NEVER get 10 bit uncompressed HD-SDI to work with 4 or 5 drives (again, I have not tried the Cal Digit).

    HOWEVER, it is very easy, and relatively inexpensive (about $2500 more) to get another loaded Fusion 500 Chassis with another 2.5 Terabytes, and stick that into another port on the SATA card. With TEN DRIVES, there is no problem doing this, all stripped RAID 0.

    There is a big difference between “barely getting it to work” and reliable playback for a real job with layers of video, titles, effects, etc.

    Bob Zelin

  • Bob Zelin

    October 25, 2006 at 12:38 am in reply to: (3) 750 Barracuda drive raid

    they will work just fine, and you will get more than 120mb/sec, but less than 170mb/sec – which means you will be able to do everything except uncompressed 8 and 10 bit HD-SDI.
    8 and 10 bit SDI, and DVCProHD will work just fine.

    Bob

  • Bob Zelin

    October 24, 2006 at 10:37 pm in reply to: Kona 3 fcp and SONY HDCAM SR

    your first post –
    “One of the reuirements was that we need to be able to handle Sony HDCAM-SR, considering this is becoming popular as an alternative to 2K DI ( for cost reasons). ”

    OK – so do you need 2K or not ? The SRW5000 is a HD VTR for 1920×1080 (1080i). Th Kona does everything – your storage requirements will vary depending on exactly what you want to do. The more you want, the more it will cost.

    bob Zelin

  • It’s called a SAN ! And guess what, in addition to being real expensive, you are going to have to hire someone qualified to install it for you , and train you on it’s operation (and probably have someone on staff to administrate it). Of course, there is Apple XSan, and others include EditShare, Terrablocks, MetaSan, VStor, and others. By the time it’s all said and done, you are going to spend a minimum of $35,000 – $40,000. No, there ain’t no FW800 drive for 400 bucks that will let you have shared storage between your 3 MACs. And no matter what you research, you must accept the fact that you are not just going to take this out of the box, plug it in, and go to one of these forums, and say “hey, how do I get this SAN thing to work” – it’s complicated, and you are going to have to HIRE SOMEONE to help you.

    Bob Zelin

Page 590 of 701

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy