Bob Zelin
Forum Replies Created
-
ok Simon, I have to hand it to you. You are better than me. You found this, you found the Netgear 10G switch – you find all kinds of cool stuff long before me.
I have not tested this product.
Bob
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com -
Boy Simon, I am confused –
the new cylinder Mac Pro has no slots. You take the Tnunderbolt port and go into the Netstor, and INSIDE the Netstor is where you put the ix card – so the 16 drives connect to the internal connectors. The ix has one external port for SAS expansion.
If it only had external ports, how would you get it to work with the Netstor and the new cylinder Mac Pro ?bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com -
Hi John –
can you post the link on fcp.co.uk that discusses this ?Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com -
-
the published results are all nonsense, and your tests are all nonsense as well. IF you use a simple product like AJA System Test, you will see that it takes several seconds to get up to 900 – 1000 MB/sec. When it starts at the first few seconds (like when you hit the play button on your editing system), you get MUCH SLOWER RESULTS. It takes a few seconds for the Thunderbolt 2 drive arrays to ramp up to full speed – which for many companies is completely unacceptable, as you have multiple edit rooms, who need a no excuse system that will play, when you hit the play button.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com -
you have excellent English.
Thunderbolt networking does not work. The Lacie 8 big 2 is a very nice Thunderbolt drive array (like the Promise R8 or Maxx Digital ThunderRaid), but it is not a shared storage system. To do shared storage, you need a dedicated server, and Ethernet equipment. There are countless companies that advertise on these Cow forums that sell these products, and they will all work for you.If you think that you will simply connect your 5 Thunderbolt computers to the 5 Thunderbolt ports on the new Mac Pro (which is connected to the big Lacie Thunderbolt drive), and you will now have shared storage – THIS WILL NOT WORK.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com -
I will try this. If this is true, then it is REALLY clear to me that Apple is intentionally making it difficult to allow for shared storage on a network that they do not manufacture (because you should be using XSAN or iCloud as your storage for FCP-X).
Simon, you always come up with brilliant things.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com -
Bob Zelin
June 4, 2014 at 3:01 pm in reply to: Port Aggregation using built in dual ethernet ports on new 2013 Mac Prothe way that it typically works ( for performance) is to bond the server ports to the switch (that supports link agg) – then you get more performance from the server to the switch – but the clients (when you bond them) does NOT increase the performance – only gives you redundancy, not increase in speed. The only exception I know of for this, is the trick (that I don’t know) that AVID is doing with the ISIS 5000, where you run 2 cables to the ISIS switch (Dell Force 10 S25), and you get about 150 – 160 MB/sec. This process is NOT link aggregation – I don’t know how they are doing it.
Want a quick answer of how to do it – buy 10 Gig cards for your Macs, and you will have a DRAMATIC increase in performance.
bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com -
you should be jumping up and down that you are getting 1050 MB/sec anything with an 8 bay drive array running on Thunderbolt 2 – period. Tbolt 2 maxes out at 1375 MB/sec theoretical – and that’s at RAID 0 – and no one gets “line speed” – so 1050 MB/sec is amazing – I have only got about 900 MB/sec with RAID 5 using HGST Ultrastar enterprise drives.
If your write speed is 650 MB/sec, I am guessing that your Areca configuration is not correct, but you know what – that is plenty fast to do any 4K media, even dpx, so I would be happy with your performance.
Many of the specs that you see published in reviews show ridiculous high numbers – like when the Promise Pegasus R6 came out. No one ever got those numbers. Your numbers sound fine. Your write is a little slow, but adding 300 MB/sec to your write speed is not going to affect you writing 4K media to your RAID array.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com -
“Will switching to a different Atto brand controller card make this setup work”
Oh Bruce –
first, I will not assure you of anything on a Hackintosh. Did you really save money by building this instead of going to ebay and buying a used Mac Pro for $1000 ?
So, with that said, will the ATTO H680 driver load and work on your Hackinosh ? Who knows – maybe. But on a Mac Pro, you buy the ATTO H680, which costs you a WHOPPING $325 at any mail order company (wow, $300 bucks – that’s my rate for the week !) – and run Tolis BRU, and you have a working system. Now, there is other software that is teriffic – ImagineProducts PreRoll Post (same price at BRU), but I can tell you that the last time I did this, was for a client that wanted to spend ZERO money – so we did the free HP StorOpen software install, and it was a mess, so I got them to buy PreRoll Post, and it didn’t work. Now, I knew that PreRoll post worked just fine, so I had to WIPE THE BOOT DRIVE, and completely reinstall the Mac OS X, and then loaded PreRoll Post, and then everything worked.
So, because you already loaded HP StorOpen – I can’t promise you anything right now – especially because you are on a Hackintosh.Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com