Bob Zelin
Forum Replies Created
-
Hey Nat –
I cry almost every day for making the wrong decisions on equipment I tell people to buy – and then they are ready to kill me. With so much mis information out there, it is very easy to make a mistake on what works, and what doesn’t work. And believe me, I get screwed all the time.Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Hi Nat –
you are looking at crazy specs. Nothing is doing 3000 MB/sec – not from a single 16 or 24 bay drive chassis – I don’t care how much money you spend (well, maybe if you are using all SSD drives).
Top 16 bay chassis are doing about 1500 MB/sec. I don’t know where these crazy numbers come from.
A dual port 10G card will easily give you about 300 MB/sec per client – but thats the 2 ports on the QNAP or Synology server (or even my server) – so you need either a switch for more clients, or multi port cards, as offered by lots of the companies on this forum. AND THEN you need expensive 10G cards in your client computers to get this bandwidth. You don’t buy the QNAP, with the 10G card in the QNAP, and then plug it into your client computer’s 1G native ethernet port, and get 275 MB/sec. And these cards cost MONEY !Everything adds up. Even with QNAP, even with Synology. Nothing is free. And when you start buying
Toshiba desktop drives instead of HGST Ultrastar or Western Digital RE series drives, and you start losing all your data, well, then your boss will fire you, and you will cry.Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
I have seen this on the web, but I have not tried it.
Yes, it looks like it may be the “best of breed” – compared to
QNAP, Synology, Thecus (and dare I say Drobo, which is obviously not as good as any of these other ones) – but yes, it looks very nice, and I would love to try one.Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
But Nat –
you don’t need to duck angry vendors that advertise on Creative Cow. Guess what –
most of these companies, including the ones that you mentioned can sell you a shared storage
system for $9300. You are right – this is a good price, and because the market is competitive,
you can call the “usual players” and say “listen – this is my budget – just under 10 grand – what can you do for me” – and almost EVERYONE will have a solution for you.Now that I said this – I am sure that all the vendors will do exactly this – “this is what we can offer you for under 10 grand”. And yes – the QNAP solution that you specified will work as well.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Hi Nat –
I may have to strangle you, as I know the bottom line here. Why ? Because you are asking “do I really need to buy Facilis, SNS, ProMax, etc., when I can spend SO MUCH LESS on QNAP or Synology ?”
That’s the real question – isn’t is ?sorry for the attack now, but you deserve this –
1) you have NO IDEA of how little money is charged by Facilis, SNS, Promax, etc. for their systems – and ALL OF THEM (including all the “etc” companies) ALL SELL 10G Ethernet shared storage systems that do as good or BETTER a job of QNAP and Synology. They charge similar money, and they give you support (as you say “I don’t need support – I know how to read a manual”) –2) QNAP and Synology (and Netstor, and Thecus and Other World Computing) all make WONDERFUL 10G based NAS systems that will in fact work – and guess what – THEY COST THE SAME or similar money that you will pay for one of the systems you mentioned (Facilis, SNS, ProMax, etc.).
Lets talk about QNAP, since they cost less than Synology –
You want a 12 bay ? The only one that will work will be the
QNAP TS 1279-U-RP
the 16 bay is the QNAP TS 16790U-RP
for the 12 bay, the expansion chassis is the REX-12-U-RP
and you need the X540 10Gig module on any of these to get the 10G to work.So when you buy the 12 bay, you are also buying the 10 Gig option card, the drives, and a switch to make this work. This all adds up – and guess what – most of the companies are selling shared storage systems that start UNDER $10,000. SNS sells the 4 user Prodigy for $4700 ? Gee – isn’t this less than the QNAP – and they will give you support ?
I had a client of mine call me the other day, who owns a fully functional Final Share system, and said that he wanted to setup a system in his house that he could share 3 computers with (all Mac) and his MAXIMUM budget was $1350 for the whole this. I told him (not kidding – but I was kidding) that I was going to drive over there right now, and just kill him. You cant do shared storage for $1350 with some useless piece of crap Drobo.
What you CAN do is get a working shared storage system – and you can get it from QNAP or Synology IF YOU BUY THE RIGHT BOX FROM THEM. And for the SAME money, you can get it from the companies that you mentioned – Facilis, SNS, Promax, etc. without the aggravation.
I have often ranted about many companies (Lacie and Other World Computing comes to mind) – well these days – both Lacie and Other World Computing make WONDERFUL HI END PRODUCTS (like the OWC Jupiter series) and guess what – they charge just as much money for these products as the regular companies do – because it costs a lot of money to build GOOD STUFF, and companies like QNAP and Synology do make good stuff – and they charge appropriately for them.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Bob Zelin
June 13, 2014 at 12:43 am in reply to: Anyone using a Synology with FCP 7? Any issues with “File Error: Wrong Type.” errors?https://discussions.apple.com/message/10596054#10596054
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1737195?tstart=0
$2000 for your shared storage system ? How much are you paying your editors ? You know, Synology makes a very nice $12,000 system that actually works. And you could buy Digital Rebellion, but naaaaaaahh – then you have to whip out your credit card – forget that.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Hi Chris –
I will move this forward, until management at Creative Cow throws this thread off this forum.I would LOVE to call up AVID, and say “can you tell me how you are getting two Ethernet cables to work without doing LACP” – but they won’t tell me. I would love to call up Facilis and EditShare, and ask them “can you tell me exactly how you are getting AVID Project Sharing to work with your shared storage system so wonderfully, because I cant’ figure it out. And I would love to call up Small Tree, and ProMax, and Tiger Technology, and countless others and ask them detailed questions, so that I can do exactly what they are doing, so that they don’t get any money. But I think it’s pretty obvious that they won’t tell me – this is what they do for a living – they will discuss these subjects, but won’t say exactly how they are doing it. After all – ALL of these companies are using off the shelf hardware to build their systems, and if we knew all the secrets, why on earth would be give them any money, when we could do it ourselves.
Final Share is the product that I build. Now, I could tell you the details of exactly how to get it to work, but then, I won’t get any money ! So I believe that it might be you who may be sarcastic in this instance “can you tell me how to build a Final Share system with these off the shelf parts (which by the way, you have already figured out correctly), so that I don’t have to pay you any money. My sarcastic reply to you was not so sarcastic. You want a shared storage system – I need some plumbing done (I am not kidding) – you pay for my plumbing, and I will tell you how to build the shared storage system. Why should you get something for free, and then I get nothing, and still have to pay my plumber ? Shouldn’t I be saying to you “are you kidding me ? You want me to tell you what ?”.
Sorry Chris, but I have to eat too. Do some research on the company websites whose products you have mentioned, and you will figure it out. I wonder when the producers you work for will ask you “can you show my nephew how to use RedCine-X, and Shot Put Pro, and tell me exactly what equipment you are using, so that I can use my nephew instead of hiring you from now on”. We will see how you respond to that.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com -
so exactly what is your question? How can you build this yourself without hiring someone that does this for a living to help you ?
Because the basic premise of what you want to do is all correct.
I need some plumbing done in my condo – we are re-doing a couple of bathrooms. If you could come over and do this for me, I would be happy to help you get everything working. I really don’t know a damn thing about plumbing.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com -
Hi Neil –
there is only one thing that is very clear. Almost NO ONE wants to use or implement an Apple XSAN system – period. So there are countless people out there (all the companies that you see advertise here on Creative Cow) that have alternate ways to get FCP-X to work in a shared storage environment. SO – why are people so unwilling to implement XSAN ? Simple – it costs too much money.Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com -
Hi Steve –
I just didn’t realize that A) this was a Promise product, and B) how cheap it was !bob
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com