Forum Replies Created

Page 117 of 701
  • Bob Zelin

    March 16, 2015 at 9:42 pm in reply to: Replacement for Samsung HD204UI 2TB 54000

    nothing wrong with backing up to inexpensive SATA drives – most of my clients do exactly that ! Just spin them up once in a while, and you will be ok.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    March 16, 2015 at 9:40 pm in reply to: Mac Pro: Optimal scratch / data disk setup

    Oh My God Tommy –
    you can insult me all you want, but I have to respond –

    here is a 480G SSD drive. You use this as your BOOT drive in your Mac Pro with all your software – and NO MEDIA –
    https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYMP9S6P480/

    this is $342.50. You get a 480 gig SSD with the Mount Pro sled to put in your Mac Pro. Is that too much money ?

    Now for your storage inside your Mac Pro –
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145912&cm_re=hgst_4TB-_-22-145-912-_-Product

    here is a $170 dollar FOUR Terabyte SATA drive for your scatch disk for all your media. Are you telling me that this is too expensive ?
    If I am wrong, then why don’t you go our at buy THREE of these drives, stripe them together inside the Mac Pro with Apple Disk Utility and you will now have TWELVE TERABYTES of scratch disk space available to you, for the grand total of $510, and you are done.

    Now, you may come back to me and say “do you think I am made out of money ?” – my only response to you is – “exactly how much do you charge your clients for your services”. How much is one visit to the doctor ?

    And if you want to save money on this – forget the SSD – just use this as your boot drive for your Mac Pro –
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236342&cm_re=wd_red_1tb-_-22-236-342-_-Product

    so you just saved over $200. I think that 65 dollars is a pretty fair price for a 1TB boot drive to hold all of your software programs.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    March 16, 2015 at 9:31 pm in reply to: Replacement for Samsung HD204UI 2TB 54000

    Hi Ben –
    In the US, I see that B&H Photo which is very popular here is selling LTO 6 tapes for 40 US dollars. I think that https://www.span.com
    is a discount reseller in the UK, but I am not sure.

    LTO 4 is over. LTO 5 is on it’s way out, but is still a popular format for delivery and archive. Of course, LTO 6 is the current technology. MLogic makes a wonderful thunderbolt to LTO 6 solution for $3600 US. You have two choices – drives, and LTO. That’s it.
    A lot of drives today are reliable for backup, but you should certainly put the labor into spinning them up once in a while.

    So exactly who said that this business was inexpensive to be in ?

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    March 15, 2015 at 11:19 pm in reply to: Replacement for Samsung HD204UI 2TB 54000

    LTO 4 is outdated technology.

    Here is a 2TB drive –
    https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7686635&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&scid=scplp697901&gclid=CjwKEAjw25SoBRCMn7Gc97Knj0ISJAC7vaMrhiHZyO-DeTpx8K4bFMNwJ0gkE8_w5PYyVESubHgivhoCjgLw_wcB

    It’s 80 bucks. Are you telling me that you don’t have $320 for four new 80 dollar drives to allow your business to keep running ?

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    March 14, 2015 at 2:41 pm in reply to: Mac Pro: Optimal scratch / data disk setup

    Tommy –
    you need a big RAID array. End of story. There are countless companies that advertise right here on Creative Cow, that offer the exact drive array that you need, that will work wonderfully with your Mac Pro. so you can get 8TB, 16 TB, 32 TB, 64 TB, 96 TB, and these can be expandable systems. The only thing on your 1TB boot drive should be your software programs. If you want an SSD (I am assuming that this is an older Mac Pro from before 2012) – get an Other World Computing Mount Pro ($19 dollars) which is a sled for your Mac Pro, and a 480 Gig SSD, and just use that for your software programs. Keep all your media on a big external drive array. There are SO MANY COMPANIES that sell these, and they are bombarding you RIGHT NOW on the banner ads in these Cow forums. Crack open that wallet, and get rid of your aggravation.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    March 14, 2015 at 2:28 pm in reply to: ATTO R680 Firmware reset ?

    Hi Petros –
    I enjoyed your reply. I too have seen about 15 systems experience firmware resets (with the ATTO R680), and I never had an explanation of why this happens.

    I have a couple of questions for you.
    1) do you disable heartbeat in the ATTO Configuration Tool, to prevent the firmware reset ?

    2) when you say “take a very close look” – exactly what do you mean by this. In the ATTO Configuration Tool, all the drives appear to be ON LINE (as well as the raid group), and then all of a sudden, a drive will be marked offline, or the RAID Group will become degraded, yet no drives are indicated as “failed”. The very amateur test that I do, when I see poor performance or strange behavior, is to run a simple diagnostic (like AJA System Test with the 16 Gig file), and watch the LED lights on the RAID to see if one of them is getting “stuck” while the others are flashing away. This sometimes will point to a failing drive, and I can remove that drive and install another. Sometimes I am lucky and the raid performance increases, and I avoid a disaster, and sometimes I am not so lucky, and the raid degrades. I wish there was a diagnostic that I could use (unless you can tell me how SMART can give you a hint that something bad is happening with a specific drive).

    I appreciate your response, and I look forward to your reply.

    bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    March 13, 2015 at 11:27 pm in reply to: ATTO R680 Firmware reset ?

    Hi Simon !
    hope to see other responses on this thread.

    bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    March 12, 2015 at 8:48 pm in reply to: Shareable Thunderbolt storage

    You will see me at the Accusys booth, looking at exactly this !

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    March 12, 2015 at 8:47 pm in reply to: archiving 4k

    SATA drives, SAS drives, SSD drives, LTO tape. Those are your options.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

  • Bob Zelin

    March 12, 2015 at 12:11 am in reply to: How much to charge for storage?

    you sell them the drive. They must pay for the drive 100%.
    Then you keep it on your shelf.
    If they say “that is crazy – we are not paying for the drive” – then you tell them that you cannot keep their media.

    Bob Zelin

    Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

Page 117 of 701

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy