Bob Zelin
Forum Replies Created
-
Hi Matthew –
I don’t know how to answer your question.
There are only three RAID host adaptors that I can recommend, that you will not get screwed with –
Areca ARC-1883x
ATTO R680
Highpoint 4522if LSI Logic or Emulex or someone else has a RAID card that is cheaper, and actually works, then I just don’t know, I am ignorant of it. But the three cards I have listed above are all wonderful, and all work, and are all reliable. The problem of course, it that the card alone almost blows your budget.
To work professionally, you need (in my opinion) 8 drives. I don’t care if you buy the cheapest crap drives in the world. You add one of the RAID cards above, an empty 8 bay mini SAS chassis, and one of the cards that I listed, and you have exceeded your $1500 budget. Isn’t there anything cheaper – I have no idea, nor do I care. My clients have a strong interest in not LOSING THEIR DATA, and if there is something cheaper, and they wind up LOSING THEIR DATA, they will kill me, and then kill themselves. So if you are a contractor to a professional company, it is your responsibility to say “if we don’t buy one of these products, I cannot assure you that we will not lose our data”.
My previous home computer had a 40 gig Maxtor ATA drive in it. It lasted for many years. Any professional that based their business on this would be an idiot. Might as well as go to the local gun shop, put in one bullet, and play russian roulette. I currently use a HP Z420 as my home computer, as well as my Mac’s for building systems. And I back up routinely.
drives fail. If you are looking to “cheap out” – then you are playing with your income, and your clients income. If you can’t buy professional equipment, then you should not be doing this for a living.
Let me be more aggressive for a moment. I have a hobby. I learned how to play guitar recently ( I am almost 60, and I am playing now for about 2 years). If your cheap ass guitar can’t stay in tune, then you have no business playing even in an amateur band. You go out and buy a guitar that will stay in tune that will not embarrass you in front of your friends. If you can’t buy a professional drive array, that will not lose your clients data, then what the hell are you doing, trying to make a living doing this for a living.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
you can purchase a very nice ZFS system from Small Tree, LumaForge, or even Other World Computing.
NFS is used for FCP-X because of necessity. Both AFP and SMB are excellent.
I am sorry, but if you are trying to build your own system, instead of going with one of the wonderful
working solutions on the market, I cannot assist you.Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
eSATA is dead. I will respond to you in detail tomorrow.
I am saddened by reading your post. You sound like a young person who has been hired by a boss that refuses to go to a knowledgeable reseller to install the equipment that he needs to make a working system for his company. He expects you to go to a mail order company, order all the parts (based on recommendations from Creative Cow), and save SO MUCH MONEY , that he can buy his daughter that new BMW she wanted for freshman year at college.I will respond (more seriously) in detail tomorrow. Most people on these forums are using Apple Macintosh computers, with software from companies like Adobe. If you are using PC’s, I will make recommendations tomorrow, but it’s not going to be 10 grand.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
wait, wait –
you want a new PC with Thunderbolt interface, and you want 16 TB of RAID storage, and you want someone to custom build this for you, and you want all of this for under $1500 ?God bless the person that will do this for you.
And then you say “I am put in charge of buying $10k worth of computers and then get a raid to work from.
So are you saying that you (or your boss) wants to buy multiple hi performance computers, and have a single shared storage RAID so that all of you can work from this, and your total budget is $10,000 ?Wehn I find out who your boss is, I am going to damage his automobile.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
1) Tiger Technology sells Tiger Store now, instead of MetaLan. Have you contacted them ?
2) Studio Network Solutions sells SanMP – and they have a iSCSI target – have you contacted them ?
3) SMB is good enough
4) AFP is good enough
5) NFS is good enough.Exactly WHO have you called to ask about what to do, to replace your MetaLan system ?
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Hi –
wrong forum –
look at the CatDV forum.And consider products like Axle Video, as well as Cat DV (and yes, ProMax has asset management, so does AVID with Interplay, which is possibly what ESPN is using).
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
remember – both AVID and Facilis (early shared storage people in OUR industry) did RAID 1. Now, neither company uses mirroring. Why would you sacrifice half your storage for a mirror ?
There are many opinions in the electronics industry. The only opinion that matters to me, is the collective opinion that is used by manufacturers that participate in the VIDEO industry – companies that you see advertise here on Creative Cow, companies that participate at NAB, CCW, SMPTE, SBE, etc. No other computer or IT expert opinion matters to me (even if they are “right”).
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
Tony –
in case you have not tried it, the TVS-871T rocks !Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
keep it raid 5. If you are brave in the future and starting all over, make it raid 6 so you can have 2 drive failures, instead of 1.
I hate mirroring.Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com -
you can’t edit over the internet. You can’t move terabytes of ProRes footage (for example) over the internet. You can transcode to h.264 and do this via a cloud site like Drop Box, or Google Drive. You can spend a fortune on Adobe Anywhere, and have the video streamed from a central server. But to actually edit full bandwidth files from Canon, Sony, Panasonic, etc. cameras over the internet is impossible. To create h.264 files, you can use Adobe Media Encoder, which is part of your Adobe package, or Handbrake, which is a free download, or the very wonderful Imagine Products Proxy Mill.
There are many ways to view, and collaborate over the internet however. Programs like Frame.io are free and will do this. Wonderful asset management programs with web clients like CatDV and Axle Video will allow you to send approval copies to clients. Again – these are h.264 proxy files, not the actual files. There is a wonderful article on Creative Cow about CineSync. And you can read that article, and go to their website. Again, you are not editing over the internet.
So how do you send 500 gigs of a show to your client, without a service like Aspera or Signiant. Simple answer – Fed Ex or UPS. How do you do it over a regular internet line – simple you don’t.
sharing with 5 – 10 people in the office is very easy. Any of the shared storage systems that you see here on Creative Cow will do exactly that – allow 10 or more people to be able to access, play, and edit the files from your central shared storage system.
There are no “bad” systems that are advertising on Creative Cow for shared storage. They all work. It all depends on your budget, and the complexity of what you want to do.
Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com