Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
[Jeremy Garchow] “And they are saying that to a few hundred people at a trade show? Why?”
I presume because that’s what was an acceptable approach within the levels of decision making involved at Apple.
Clearly to a business such as Apple – one of the largest companies on the globe – there is a major concern with message discipline so the company doesn’t have to contend with the fallout of the right hand saying A and the left hand saying B. One extremely effective solution to that that is to say as little as possible. We might not like that. But it’s proven to work for them. When they do release things, generally it’s fresh news.
Apple doesn’t just design, they have a crystal clear track record of DELIVERING innovation over time. So sooner or later, this too will be in the marketplace for people to love, hate, or for all I know, just be indifferent towards.
The only thing I’m ABSOLUTELY sure of, is that we’ll argue about it here. Cuz that’s what we do!
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Jeremy Garchow] “I want to use FCPX. Right now, it fits our work the best. There are many upsides to FCPX. I just need a little more reciprocation and I feel like NDA-ing the preview is a really weird move.”
Why?
Seems to me the point was for Apple to quietly but definitively put out the message that X is not being ignored, but rather STILL in a robust cycle of constant improvement and we’ve decided to take a big step – not just small incremental stuff – and that’s going to take time.
Even though I was in the NDA group, I don’t have a CLUE how big, small or otherwise significant what we saw will turn out to be in relation to how the overall program operates. But I can say that what we saw went WELL beyond the “bug fix” level. That I can absolutely assure you.
To me, X works well now. I believe it will work even better in the future. But that says nothing about whether it will work precisely the way any individual would prefer it to work.
And that certainly includes the concept of – flawless performance in all it’s micro-aspects. I don’t even know if that’s possible any more. I’d sure LOVE to think that it IS possible, but i’m skeptical since no NLE software company seems to have achieved that to date.
We just have to celebrate what we have and work around the limitations when they impede our preferred workflows until the change arrives. And then hope the change improves what bothers each of us the most. Of course it literally can’t because what bothers each of us most isn’t always the same thing.
Maybe thats just the new normal.
And so it goes.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Forest -trees.
If the only way to get the story is to send a 3 person crew out dragging $100,000 worth of gear as we needed to a few years ago – it doesn’t get told. Now it does.
You nor I nor the guy in this piece may be the ones to crack the code on what a one man band 3 perspective video piece needs to be to make sense, but now that the tools are there, I trust that somebody will.
It might not even BE news features. It might be training. Or webcast auctions. Or live Pokemon Go “hunt reports” or what replaces that in a year. Who knows.
All that’s sure is its getting easier, cheaper and more capable to do ever more sophisticated productions with less. Less crew. Less investment. Less wire. Less power. Less hassle.
They won’t be as slick or careful or as valuable as what they are replacing – until they are.
And then the folks who didn’t ignore them will, like the best quadcoptor pilots out there now, have an advantage over the folks who ignored the change.
And so it goes.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Darren’s right. In national chain retail, whether it’s Apple or PetSmart, typically every item is shelved according to a plan-o-gram – the shelf display map that seeks to insure that every store has the same products in the same locations across the chain.
That way employees can move between stores as required and know where things are.
The variance you see between stores is usually because adjustments are needed for the specific store pad size and shape that’s been leased.
There might be fixed plans for small, medium, large and flagship store classes, but the real estate division and store design teams have to take the actual leased footprint and make things work.
So I suspect whether a particular store displays two, one or no MacPros isn’t a tea leaf about the product, as much as about that store’s specifics.Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
That’s just the “efficient assortment” retail thing in action.
There’s a base stocking profile that gets adjusted within limits by the store management in response to their sales. A store in LA to service the huge creative community there will be stocked differently than a store in say, Lexington KY.
Stores near colleges probably sell more headphones than stores near major retirement areas.
Just how retail works.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Scott Witthaus] “[Oliver Peters] “What happens if it disrupts your workflow in a significant way?”
Why wouldn’t you just go all FCP Legacy style and stick with your perfectly well performing current NLE (FCP X)?
It’s stable, fast, highly capable right now. I’ve paid for it once and nobody’s bleeding me monthly to continue using it.
So It seems to me I’m good either way.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
July 1, 2016 at 9:59 pm in reply to: Media Composer is now just like iMovie! I’m switching!Claude,
Just remind them that for all but the lucky ones who saw it on stage “The Lion King” was basically a “cat video” – and IT did pretty well globally.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Even if you can’t find the menu to turn it off, looks like 8 small pieces of black gaff will easily solve the problem.
And so it goes.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Darren Roark] “It must be just as frustrating for them as it is for us.”
True dat.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Just change every metadata instance of the term “tracks” to “rails” – that usually tricks X into allowing the magnetic timeline to work with the footage… ; )
(I guess I should specifically note i’m joking in case anyone is confused?)
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.