Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
Heading off on a business trip on Monday, I knock out, in ten seconds, some planetary size hyperbole – including what is likely the only reference to freaking OXCARTS you will read this decade – and people suddenly treat the post with the gravity of a Papal Encyclical?
Hint: It was just a silly toss off post folks, not a manifesto.
If it twisted your sensibilities, sorry.
Wouldn’t wish to do that!
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
It’s official then. Elon Musk is nothing more than a crass copycat because Oxcarts had wheels in the 13th century.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Dennis Radeke] “Premiere Pro please. I freely admit this is my pet peeve, but I don’t ever say fxpY do I?”
Oh man, my apologies. Thought I had broken that habit. My bad.
[Dennis Radeke] “To say it again: ALL NLE’s have something compelling, unique or valuable to users. It is the principle reason we have a very mature and robust NLE market today from which we ALL benefit. “
Fair enough.
I’ll revise my thinking regarding coincidence. The fact that something appears in one program – then 5 years later appears under a different name in another is clearly a sign of …. something, perhaps. But if you say its not about lifting ideas, I have no reason to dispute that.
Maybe it’s just longer approval loops? Or slower, more careful coders? Or more likely just that the software team delivering the feature years later didn’t realize the concepts full value until another team developed it further. Far be it for me to speculate. I’m just an end user. And as clueless about this stuff as I am about so much else.
You are right in the assertion that the more good programs out there the better.
And I wish your team nothing but the best with yours. Lots of people are feeding their families via it’s mastery and use and that alone makes it valuable.
Oh and about the mistype the brand thing, I’m honestly apologetic. I TRY to be precise about things like that but even when I know things I find myself getting the form wrong. For example, I’m struggling right now with indexing my developing lesson base and since in some places Web IDs don’t play well with spaces, I’m dealing with having to type _FCP_X_ over and over and over. Such a hassle, I find myself dropping the correct space in non-public facing uses (FCPX) just to avoid eternally typing the extra underscore over and over and over. These little things are so annoying!
And so it goes.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
June 26, 2016 at 12:22 am in reply to: Apple is discontinuing the only monitor it makes, the Thunderbolt DisplayIs it worth noting that at the coming FCP X Creative Summit next October, Dell is one of the primary sponsors?
Aren’t they pretty big with their Ultrasharps?
More swirling tea leaves to read and “unsupported anything other than speculation” conclusions ahead!
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Craig Alan] “So the ASUS External Monitor holds the viewer and no viewer is on the lap top? Does this require a third party driver? This does allow for more vertical space for the timeline which I really like having. Are you using any breakout box cause I see you have speakers too. What about storage, no raid/media drive?”
The X interface is switchable so that you can either have your Event window there OR your Monitor window.
That means if you set it to Event you get LOTS of room for visual clip icons or a very large spreadsheet display.
If you switch it into main screen monitor mode, all the screens you normally have in the viewer get switched to the second screen. That means full monitor if you’re in that mode, monitor and viewer if you choose that mode, or monitor, scopes and viewer if you select that mode. It’s not “perfectly flexible” but it’s plenty for the way I like to edit, which is typically with the second monitor disconnected unless I’m working with a client or two over my shoulder or engaged in something where the extra real estate is useful like logging where a huge event browser can be really nice.
Like my prior editing setups where the rig stayed largely fixed – I find I change the second display quite a bit depending on whether I’m working the front end Browser stuff or the back end Program stuff.
YMMV. Just how I do it.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
All other computers retired.
I now do everything on this rig.
Mid 2015 Retina MBPro. Topped out w/memory and 1TB SSD. ASUS External Monitor.
I’m cranking out FAR more content with this rig than I was ever able to to accomplish on any other system I’ve ever owned. I cut for two days at NAB on a maxed out and lovely brand new iMac, and it was equally excellent for editing, but neither system slows me down a bit in productivity. So for me, it’s portability FTW. Nice to be able to set up editing in 10 minutes anywhere and get to work.
YMMV.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
I’d say just learn to see the physics.
Glass is not perfectly transparent. It’s all inherently reflective.
The nature of that reflectivity means you have to look the effect of the glass on the light transmission AND reflection in your scene.
Shooting at (and therefore through) it means you have both the scene behind, as well as reflections of the scene in front of the surface.
Learn to think in terms of angle of incidence, angle of reflection and how much light you can control on the subjects being seen through it and reflected by it.
Negative fill like using black cloth between the shooter and the glass can definitely serve to kill unwanted reflections – but often the geometry is such that if you’re shooting wide, you’d need a LOT of black surface area to do the job.
I remember shooing in a retail store with a wall of interior windows, and we had to pipe and drape 40 linear feet of black fabric so we could shoot the action towards the window’d room without reflecting all the store merchandise in the glass.
Just how it works.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Joseph W. Bourke] “OK Bill OK – you’re a visionary. And FCPX is not only the best thing since sliced bread – it is the Master Loaf.”
Damn.
Finally FCP X gets some praise in the group –
and it centers on BREAD!?!
At a time legions are regularly imagining every bellyache is the result of the evils of Gluten?Figures.
; )
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Herb Sevush] “(from Bill this is an extension of the idea that everything from Apple is perfect.)”
Swap “perfect” for “interesting” and you’ve got it correct.
Remember, they’re the folks who, as Mr. Ubillos noted in Alex’s article – amazingly don’t worry overmuch about “sunk cost.”
Which means if it’s not very good, no matter whats been spent creating it – it doesn’t go out the door.
X was plenty good enough on day one to change the trajectory of my whole professional practice.
For the better. As I’ve long argued, if I could see that from the hinterlands of Arizona, anyone, anywhere also could.
And so it goes.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Neil Goodman] “I’m worried Apple wont be able to keep up with the rest of the pack.”
Well, when I was poor and in college, I used to worry a bit about random break ins.
I no longer do.
Rational risk assessment has moderated my thinking.
I suspect Apple has the resources and talent (plus the focused interest!) to do just fine in keeping up with where modern editing might be going.
Time will certainly tell, Neil.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.
