Forum Replies Created

Page 118 of 605
  • Bill Davis

    November 8, 2016 at 3:21 pm in reply to: The TouchBar?

    [Joe Marler] “I think objective assessment of the touchbar has been damaged by the removal of the SD slot, the USB-C-only decision and related dongle issues. “

    I can totally see that.

    For much of the entire FCP X debate over the past 5 years, I stubbornly kept thinking we were debating features and facts. Took me a very long time to realize we often weren’t debating any sort of objective “facts” at all. We were debating emotional reactions to change. And those feelings were every bit as real and central to the discussions as how anything actually functioned.

    I’ve come to see all this stuff as swirling in a HUGE wave of changes in how things function on a very basic levels.

    “Touchscreen world” is clearly replacing “mechanical key” world.

    It’s difficult for me to confront that as well.

    For example, I’m a very decent touch typist. I LOVE a great tactile keyboard. But about a year ago I watched an Apple Store Genius Bar associate writing up a repair order on her iPad – and she was positively FLYING. It looked like she was doing about 400wpm on her virtual keypad. Blew me away.

    Things change.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • [Oliver Peters] “Except for that MagSafe issue ?”

    I’m not sure a problem that can be solved cheaply is really that big a problem.

    https://www.amazon.com/Griffin-BreakSafe-Breakaway-Chromebook-replacement/dp/B01CQTK6GU%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-iphone-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB01CQTK6GU

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • [Oliver Peters] “Otherwise you’d be able to plug your iPhone directly into a new MBP and charge it. “

    You can’t be arguing that won’t happen, can you?

    And anyway…

    On top power only. Below, Power PLUS very high capacity bi-directional data – making every port a power tap and a connectivity port simultaneously.

    This is kinda what manufacturing advancement looks like, isn’t it?.

    Just sayin’

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    November 8, 2016 at 12:12 am in reply to: Of Mice and Human Interface Devices

    [Andrew Kimery] “I find having both hands on my laptop (one trying to use the keyboard and the other using the trackpad) to be uncomfortable cramped. “

    Boy my experience is 180 degrees opposite that.

    Fingers on the homerow – all it takes is a gentle drop of my right thumb to mouse around on the trackpad. Add the index finger for pinch moves.

    It’s hardly more movement than moving your right hand up a row for JKL transport.

    In fact, since my thumb stays on the space bar for constant start and stop – it’s position is halfway to the trackpad by default.

    Hours of editing daily for years now and not the tinyist hint of RSI.

    The mouse is dead to me now, I’m afraid.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    November 8, 2016 at 12:01 am in reply to: The TouchBar?

    Well, the record – I actually have used it a bit.

    At the Creative Summit during our trip to Apple – we all got some hands-on time.
    In fairness, a five minute drive is only good for first impressions. That’s why I too will wait for reports from the editors I know who both know how to edit in X fluently AND take delivery of the early units do they can say what it’s like to live with day to day.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    November 7, 2016 at 11:55 pm in reply to: The TouchBar?

    Reddits Editing subs most recently.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • The POINT of Apple is that when things are “in house” they get to cross-pollinate.

    As I noted in another thread. Squish down an iPhone into a long thin form-factor and install that along with a subset of it’s code into your keyboard and what do you get?

    The TouchBar.

    Seems suddenly kinda useful to have FCP X be a healthy subset of Apple as a whole.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    November 7, 2016 at 4:01 am in reply to: Why is creativcow biased against FCPX

    [David Roth Weiss] “He kinda reminds me of Bill Davis, but with lots more hair.”

    Naw, we’re different.

    He’s the guy pitching something he presumably has ACTUAL real life experience with – albeit perhaps a bit over-forcefully. ; )

    I’m the guy watching dozens of other guys trying super hard to sour everyone on a new laptop system – that none of them have actually ever seen, or touched, much less actually cut work on.

    I know ONE editor outside Apple who has actual cutting time on the new MacBook Pro with TouchBar. Report: He’s enjoying the experience.

    In another week or two, they start reaching actual users and we’ll get some verifiable idea of how they actually work in real editing operations – and all this will move from speculation to reality-based reports.

    THAT might actually be informative.

    My 2 cents.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • [Oliver Peters] “I’m not upset. Just not irrationally exuberant like many others ?”

    What part of this is “irrational” exactly? We were waiting for a BIG update. We got a BIG update.

    It went WAY beyond the “just add minor features to what we’ve already got.”

    It went into whole new areas nobody had ever enjoyed built directly into an NLE before. Roles and Lanes and the way metadata inside metadata needs to patch itself (roles and subroles mixing themselves into output streams) took a LOT of work to put into a system that I bet will take me MONTHS to fully appreciate.

    And that’s only going to come after I understand how the interface changes will affect my daily workflow.

    To me, Roles is just developing like Range Based Keywords. It looked simple and straightforward at first, but the more I learn about it – the more it appears to let me accomplish things in ways I simply couldn’t before.

    That’s NOT small.

    And as to waiting for hardware – that’s the whole POINT of one company having the ability to create new software and hardware in concert?

    Break prior limitations. Go new places. Try new things.

    If an editor doesn’t like that and just want’s to keep things as close to the prior experience he or she had – that’s Great. Just enjoy it.

    And sorry, but this looks like ACTUAL innovation to me. Defined by me as real capabilities coming to the laptop editing experience right now that were never possible before. Tons of people are lauding Adobe for its social media panel initiative. Excellent. Go new places. Innovate.

    But don’t bash Apple for doing the same thing aimed at a professional editors experience while sitting at the keyboard getting their daily work done either.

    The old meme was that Apple didn’t care about “Pro Editors.”

    Explain to me even ONE of the 10.3 initiatives that actually applies to anyone else?

    If that isn’t cause to be a bit exuberant – I don’t know what is.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    November 6, 2016 at 7:24 pm in reply to: Of Mice and Human Interface Devices

    I’m going to mildly disagree about the side positioning. Anyone who uses a laptop regularly (and that’s a LOT of people) expects the trackpad to be below the home row and under your thumbs. I think it’s optimal to leave it in that position. I know it would make for a bigger external keyboard – but I think the benefits of a unified computer input experience would be worth it.

    My 2 cents.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Page 118 of 605

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy