Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
Probably not the solution to your question because I don’t do a workflow like that…
BUT
Why are you using finder level “folders”?
I always thought X works best working with mounted virtual volumes.
Don’t folders just add a useless layer of abstraction between the files that are needed and the mounted Volume that X expects to see?
Just curious.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Do what Mark Says.
But to answer the actual thread question, it’s both smart, convenient and efficient to work with a calibrated monitor.
But it’s not strictly “necessary.”
I say that because if you know how to read a vectorscope and take skin tone readings – you can achieve a well balanced shot even if your monitor is way off.
So technically you don’t really NEED any particular type of monitor…BUT…
Nobody I know with any actual experience in field production would ever prefer NOT to have the best calibrated monitor you can afford when you’re working with video images – because it makes things so much easier if you can be “sure at a glance” that you’re seeing your work accurately at all stages.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Tim Wilson] “Technically ADR, but I think, more technically, AFR.
“Hey hey hey! There are probably kids around!
“AGR” please.
; )
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
November 11, 2016 at 10:33 pm in reply to: More debate fodder about the 16gig limit on the new laptops…[Steve Connor] “He said 3Gbs NOT Mbs”
Shoot. And I can’t even claim I was sleepy since I got 5 full hours the night before I posted that.
Brain dead from too much work is more like it.
Sorry.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
November 11, 2016 at 3:39 pm in reply to: More debate fodder about the 16gig limit on the new laptops…As I posted right after I got my new laptop a while ago, the SSDs in even last years MBPros are a wee bit faster than 3Mbps…
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
November 11, 2016 at 6:44 am in reply to: More debate fodder about the 16gig limit on the new laptops…The guy also notes that with a fast SSD, disc swaps go lightening fast so RAM isn’t hammered as much as it was when a file cached on a spinning disc that took a lot longer to read in.
I was actually wondering why I’ve never had any delay cutting longer projects on my 2015 rMBP – and I wonder if it’s the Apple 1TB SSD doing it’s stuff.
Thomas Grove Carter noted specifically that he’s spent the week hammering 5k ProRes files on his Touch Bar unit and said nothing about any RAM issues at all. Just “butter” smooth editing.
Could the pure specs obsession some folks focus on be a little bit of an artifact of an era when the hardware always struggled to push frames around fast enough? Maybe with the modern machines it’s just not as much a thing that holds back editing performance anymore?
I suppose time will tell.
FWIW.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
November 11, 2016 at 12:06 am in reply to: X on a new MBP from somebody that’s actually used it.I invited him here more than a year ago. Just prior to NAB 2015 and soon after his amazing Honda The Other Side – piece hit the web and before it cleaned up at the Arrow Awards in the UK.
He stopped by for a few days.
Folks sorta kept arguing with him that X wasn’t “pro” enough for serious work – so he didn’t feel it was very useful to stick around.
Appears that’s still happening to him. Go figure.
I got to finally meet Tom in person and spend some time talking with him last week in Cupertino at the Apple thing. He’s doing great and is delighted to still be cutting everything on X. (At his level they apparently let you use whatever the hell you want – hiring for talent, not for any particular software fluency.)
He and the whole team at Trim Editing in London are doing some truly cutting edge work for some of the biggest clients in the world. If you go back to the linked article, you’ll see the word WORK in the last line of the 5th graph is a hyperlink that takes you to Tom’s reel.
Kinda makes it hard to support the “it’s not for actual pros” thing.
And so it goes.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Richard Herd] “Me: Let me just type in the new script and use the talen’ts audio sample….ok done. New VO read.
Talent: Hey you! You stole my voice, you owe me MONEY.
Me: I’m sorry. here’s your money plus damages.
Client: We don’t like that phrasing, so we have a new script.
Me: Sorry. we have to re-record and PAY the VO talent.
Client: what about last time?
Me: Yeah about that, I got sued and lost, so now is there any way I can get that compensated.
“The real next conversation is…
Client: You know, this VO stuff is all just too much freekin’ trouble. I hear there’s a guy in Copenhagen who’s digitized voices off of old “out of copyright” stuff and has it all broken down into formants and phrases – his software costs $19.95 and you just load your script up and the voiceover pops out ready to go.
Lets just use that.
And so it goes.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
The song of scarcity – relentlessly sung in a world of plenty.
On another topic, I was FaceTiming with the young editor in England who’s collaborating with me on an large project – and he quipped:
“You know NONE of this would have happened if you’d just let us tax the tea…”
Made me laugh.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Yep. It’s clearly the new golden age of “just stroke my Id- and I’ll follow you anywhere!”
Sigh.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.
