Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
I know how we can save a BUNCH of money at our TV station…
Lets replace all those expensive engineers with kids who’ll work really cheap!; )
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Bob Woodhead] “When X was 10.0.0 is was a FAIL. “
Keep believing that Don.
Some of us looked at FCP X 1.0 and saw …
Magnetic editing
An internal DAM
Range-based keywording
Modern digital file sharing
Robust Proxy workflows
and a dozen other re-imaginings of where NLEs might be headed.ALL of that was in FCP X 1.0 on day one. A new approach brimming with new possibilities.
Scores of other editors couldn’t see beyond what was missing – and stopped looking.
My daily life as an editor is MUCH easier today because I didn’t.
That’s all.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Following in the noble footsteps of all the AVID editors who played with FCP 1.0 a little – and immediately pronounced it a fail.
And more recently those who played with X a little and similarly pronounced it a fail.
Good to know that consistency across decades is being preserved.
Just be patient , and I’m sure these snap judgements about the the TouchBar will end up being every bit as predictive as someone seeing a keyboard for the first time – and being utterly unable to express themselves through it.
; )
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
November 21, 2016 at 10:17 pm in reply to: More debate fodder about the 16gig limit on the new laptops…[Shawn Miller] ” Surface Studio is too reflective”
Great opportunity for Anker or Newer to market a cheap pop-up ambient light shield?
Just asking.
; )
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
November 21, 2016 at 10:14 pm in reply to: More debate fodder about the 16gig limit on the new laptops…[Michael Gissing] “Doesn’t matter who makes the hardware, they need churn more than ever.
“I largely agree.
But the production slowdown isn’t as much in the access to more capable gear these days – it’s in the time we all need to spend trying to constantly accommodate the changes required to maximize the utility in the evolving systems.
The Touch Bar is, perhaps, a fascinating case in point.
IF it provides an improved editing experience (unproven yet, but possible) – is your personal knowledge delta more enhanced by learning the concept early – and then having to only ADAPT to it’s increasing potential as it evolves – or is it smarter to let things settle down and jump in as the technology itself settles down.
Interesting questions.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
November 21, 2016 at 10:08 pm in reply to: More debate fodder about the 16gig limit on the new laptops…[Oliver Peters] “But isn’t that really just a workaround? And today more and more media is 4K, not SD or HD, thus taxing laptops more than ever. Of course, really fast media is probably more important.”
Probably, Oliver.
But today’s work arounds become tomorrows built-ins.
I still have a closet full of “best in class” gear – that rapidly became virtually useless over time. So I see folks debating stuff like the vanished SD card slot or the MagSafe port – and I just chuckle.
I think my dead gear closet still has an early era pen style bar-code reader I bought back in the 80s when I was starting out in production. The idea was that I could bar-code my gear going out on shoots and then quickly check each piece in as it returned – making sure I I’d never leave anything behind on a shoot.
I never actually used it even once.
It’s my gold standard of asking myself if a thing is something that I “actually” need – verses something I just “think” I need based on reading about somethings capabilities.
I can do 4k right this second. Is it as perfectly as fast as it could be? Nope. But the first client that comes to me demanding end to end 4k, I’ll re-evaluate that.
Until then, the bar code reader lesson will stand. I want it when I actually need it. Not just when I suspect I will some day.
Jumping early is often dumb. Jumping in late is as well.
The magic is in trying to get things just right.
And so it goes.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
November 20, 2016 at 10:42 pm in reply to: More debate fodder about the 16gig limit on the new laptops…[Dennis Radeke] “Is 16GB adequate today? Yes, but barely for any video creative professional.
Is making a professional laptop with 16GB as max config wise? Time will tell, but I am a tad skeptical.”I”m a little more confident, Dennis.
My Retina MacBook Pro (late 2015) is maxed out at 16Gb – and I haven’t had a single project where I’ve felt the need for more performance. Back in the day, pushing bigger data streams and drive I/O was a significant bottleneck.
Today I have completely dependable proxy workflows and hardware accelerated H.264 encoding and a host of other advancements that let me work on lean libraries and virtual files – and when it’s time to go “full rez” for output – I just flip the switch.
Also, in the old days, it seems like I couldn’t judge things like color or effects when working with less than full rez files. Now, when I park on a frame of anything, X gives me a fully realized preview plenty good enough to make critical decisions.
I’m sure if I was doing “virtual worlds wireframe” stuff or the like I’d feel different. But I don’t.
So maybe the eternal hardware chase is slowing down a bit. That would be awesome. Particularly looking back at all the career hardware I’ve had to finance and pay for over the years – stuff that cost zillions of bucks back in the day – but isn’t worth a dime now.
My 2 cents.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
November 16, 2016 at 12:51 am in reply to: More debate fodder about the 16gig limit on the new laptops…I *think* they might have improved the “palm signal rejection” on the new larger trackpads. I still occasionally have my 2015 MBPro read a double touch drag as a triple touch command if my left palm drops too near the trackpad.
During the brief time I was able to test drive a Touch Bar laptop at Apple, I didn’t notice that happening at all – even though the new trackpads are significantly bigger than the prior ones.
Just a quick impression.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
November 16, 2016 at 12:38 am in reply to: More debate fodder about the 16gig limit on the new laptops…On the bottom makes no sense. It’s a virtual slider in many important modes. If you drop your right hand to slide a volume or color adjustment down (to the left) your right hand runs into your left hand on the keyboard. The Touch Bar being on top means the hand operating it slides back and forth OVER the hand resting on the keyboard. Track pad below. Keyboard center. TouchBar above. Correctly designed.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Michael Gissing] ” wonder if anyone will ever sign release form for an interview once this goes out in the wild.”
I just glanced back at the releases I’ve been using for 30 years now. The attorney I used to draft them included a phrase granting me the right to perform “digital manipulations” on the released performances.
Smart woman.
But none of us expected I’d have the ability to literally reverse the meaning of what somebody said in an on-camera interview and 10 seconds later make it available to the entire planet via YouTube.
Again reminds me of that artical I read decades ago (Harpers Magazine, iirc) under the headline “The End of Photography as Proof of Anything”
And here we are.
Oh well.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.