Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
Personally, I think DAMs are a kind of a weird category right now.
Current DAM traditions all pretty much stem from the “networked shops” era – where proprietary protocols and a “walled garden” approach was king. But the coming era just seems way more “distributed” than that.
Collaboration seems to be shifting from exclusively in service to “all internal work groups” to a “smaller internal work groups extended with external contributors” model. A necessary reaction to what’s possible with increasingly fast and pervasive connectivity?
Just off the top of my head. I could be totally wrong. Maybe editing as a team sport will be the way everything continues to be done in the future. It just seems that ad hoc teams is where we’re inevitably going since the advantages of things like chasing time zones for 24 hour operations and tapping into a global pool of talent will drive better results than getting space in a building and paying for desks for everyone in it.
Time will tell.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Walter,
I think there’s a regular need for both paths to find a specific asset for your storyline.
If I know the precise asset I’m looking for – if I’ve properly keyworded it – that’s optimal. (Bring me just the thing I need now.)
But what if I just want to survey a “narrowed by Event” class of assets to visually pick one from an array that meets my needs? A single click on the Event allows that.
Both modes are useful.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
IIRC, Randy Ubillos conceived and prototyped many of the concepts he folded into X while re-writing iMovie.
What would have been the possible value of doing a bunch of seminal thinking about advancing the NLE structure you originally created first for Premiere 1.0 and then FCP Legacy – for a more modern approach to editing – then arbitrarily throwing all that conceptual stuff out?
It would be like any artist doing a series of study drawings for a major painting, then arbitrarily painting something ELSE that used none of the prep.
The fact that quite a few geniuses dubbed X “iMovie Pro” only goes to show how few of them had actual real world experience in conceiving anything genuinely new – and then working long and hard to revise and perfect it.
The people who actually do follow that path generally have a term that describes them.
Inventors.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Well Brett, I think the “Except the Library” is a pretty Huge Deal.
I’ve had corporate Gigs with a single client (Library) creating convention videos for multiple division presentations: e.g Sales, Operations, Training, etc. (Events) Each of which commissioned multiple videos for a big annual conference. (Projects)
The problem is editors who perhaps think that the only organizational structure that should matter is the one that meets needs precisely like theirs?
You and Oliver may not see a need for the added organizational buckets from inside your working style, but some of us have been very pleased to have them.
FWIW.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
10.3 was a HUGE plumbing change. I suspect there will be more than a few “tune up” releases as it settles down.
Hopefully, they’re already working on the next big thing(s) in the FCP X development offices.
(touch bar clip re-timing, here we come maybe?)Clearly, Apple isn’t even close to “done” with the software yet – not if they’re still making changes this obviously designed to set X on a path well into the future.
What I’ve learned to do is stop thinking exclusively in terms of “software features” and instead, start to dream of new editing “strategies.” Those are MUCH more exciting.
I’ve come to see the “feature quest” is almost exclusively driven by editors who have a historic workflow they want to re-capture. Revisiting the past is fine. I enjoy it occasionally, myself. (And for everyone waiting patiently for Remove Attributes – I hope your holiday is now filled with great joy!)
But moving ahead is much more exciting.
My 2 cents.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Oliver Peters] “Except that it actually works quite well with Media Composer.”
Keeping a pair of thin cotton gloves in my lighting kit for changing out high wattage tungsten lamps also worked quite well for a LONG time.
Then I sold all my tungsten lights and moved on.
To me, it’s just another optional container allowing a level of organization I can choose to – or not to – employ.
I kinda enjoy things in separate packages inside other larger packages. It’s how I think. It’s why I have sub-boxes for, for example, my individual wireless lav rigs – even tho those all get put into the larger AUDIO container.
Seems to me that if I used all the mics all the time, digging them out of the sub-boxes would probably be a hassle. But when it’s time to head for a gig — and I need just ONE wireless rig — the sub-packaging helps.
Same with Events.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Paul Neumann] “it was best just to turn everything on its side and get to work.”
This is inarguably the correct answer.
Doesn’t matter what you did before. My presumption is always that the client knows something I don’t because they’ve had to sit through all those horrible corporate planning meetings – which (thank god) I didn’t have to.
I was DEAD SET against vertical video in exactly the same way I was DEAD SET against considering a professional commercial as anything but 29.5 or 59.5 seconds. Period.
Then I met the internet. And clients with money who wanted to create content for it. And were totally fine with a 2.07 “commercial” for the web.
And I had to change.
And so it goes.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
This Guy Edits is hugely popular.
90% about HOW to edit. 10% about using the tools.
That said, he appears to appreciate the FCP X approach quite a bit.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
November 26, 2016 at 5:39 pm in reply to: Where are my background tasks that are not yet complete?[Michael Paul] “So how does FCPX handle this and how do I get my stuff rendered?”
Michael,
When set to Render in Background – X will stop rendering whenever the user “takes control” of the software to do something. So the patience that everyone is describing is always the first line of defense.
Clearly, you know about bringing up to the Render manager to make sure all the processes are complete before you close your project.
But it’s possible that the metadata is simply corrupt in some small way and that X *thinks* there are no clips that need rendering while there still are.
Two things to try. First, any clips that still show any indication that they need rendering, select them and try to invoke Render Selection. Also, maybe try to set a Range that includes them – and try rendering that. This may not work, but it’s simple and easy and a decent first step.
Second will be to have X delete all your render files and re-render the entire project. That should dump any corruption and do a clean render of everything.
If those don’t work, then it’s likely a clip that’s corrupt and X can’t properly process it. If that’s the problem – I’d recommend you do the traditional troubleshooting process of dividing your storyline in half and process half at a time. The half that doesn’t process has the problem. Divide that in half again, and eventually – you’ll identify the specific section that’s corrupt. Then replace or rebuild whatever’s wonky.
Hope that helps.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
EVERYTHING about digital content on the web is all about the metadata now.
Their tag was embedded in your video via the music use inside your digital file
That auto-triggered the web-bots employed to track down piracy. And said ‘bots overlords have NO system for adequately differentiating a use that’s licensed verses one that non-licensed – at least not yet.
So everything has to be manually tracked and fixed if a system flag gets thrown incorrectly.
It’s very much a brave new data world out there!
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.