Forum Replies Created

Page 119 of 605
  • Bill Davis

    November 3, 2016 at 10:40 pm in reply to: Of Mice and Human Interface Devices

    I’ve written elsewhere that when X was released, my cheese grater had the wrong GPU to run it, so I started learning it on my newer MacBook Pro.
    Without being aware of it, I was re-training my editing brain for a touchpad.
    I was shocked at how much that changed things for me.
    So much so, that even with a VERY robust system like the top of the line iMac I was editing presentations on at NAB – I went out and bought an APPLE Magic Touchpad and set it underneath my keyboard so I could continue to edit fluently.
    I haven’t touched a mouse in more than 3 years now.
    I find it WAY faster to NEVER have to move my right hand – I just drop it 2 inches to the trackpad for all my ballistic cursor tasks. Multi-touch zoom and two finger swipe movement along my storylines comes along for the ride.
    I suspect the TouchBar will simply ADD more movement to where I already go for my function keys – but for software specific modal commands. Should be fun.
    YMMV.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • [Jeremy Garchow] “SO while it’s easy to point fingers, I think we can point fingers at Apple design, and Intel’s tardy technology.

    John Gruber thinks that Apple now HAS to design their own processors moving forward, in order to deliver the products they want to deliver: https://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/10/31/intel-mbp-ram“

    Point taken.

    Link saved – I hope I can find the time to read it this month. ; )

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    November 3, 2016 at 10:30 pm in reply to: Why is creativcow biased against FCPX

    [Tim Wilson] “All of which I discussed in my first reply. I’m trying not to go through the thread and reply to each point individually, but I do hope you’ll check it out. :-)”

    As posted elsewhere – I accept the explanations you took the time to post wholeheartedly, Tim.

    You can’t work in this industry and not understand that sometimes, “sh** happens” is the most viable and most accurate explanation.

    Back to work for me.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    November 3, 2016 at 10:19 pm in reply to: Why is creativcow biased against FCPX

    I find the “it was just timing” thing to be perfectly credible.

    So that’s that.

    Just realize that people have been dinging Apple for not updating X – relentlessly – for months. Now they did. In a HUGE way. In our community that’s a VERY BIG deal.

    To see it get barely a week of notice – then the top of the X forms had Adobe and MS threads tacked to the top of this place, just felt a bit weak.

    In IRL terms, it’s generally not that you forgot to say something nice to your wife – you hope you do that regularly.
    It’s that you let it appear to be that you didn’t say something nice ON the actual date of your big anniversary.

    That tends to get noticed more. ; )

    And finally, just notice that the Adobe post SEEMED to be a pretty direct PR copypasta – with attendant hyperbolic adjectives like BREAKTHROUGH – while the X post gets the nice neutral “it’s just a little FIRST LOOK here – nothing to get all that excited about” moniker. (my interp – YMMV)

    Probably just my advertising brain at work here.

    Back to my business now.

    I’ll try to keep checking in occasionally whilst I use my spoon to dig out from the avalanche of work before me.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    November 3, 2016 at 2:58 pm in reply to: Why is creativcow biased against FCPX

    [Steve Connor] “It IS a neutral professional site and you are wrong about the Adobe bias. I count two threads showing about Adobe here, one started by me and the other a news piece on the new CC release. Everything else is discussion about FCPX 10.3 at the moment”

    Well….

    It’s a few days after the launch of arguably the MOST significant re-design of FCP X since it was released – and the sticky threads tacked to the top of the FCP X debate forum are about … Adobe and Microsoft.

    nuff said?

    This may well be a totally an automated process across all subs. And if ADOBE and Microsoft paid for forum positioning across the site – thats just business. Fair enough. But it IS an “appearance” thing that gets noticed.

    FWIW.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    November 3, 2016 at 12:58 pm in reply to: Why is creativcow biased against FCPX

    No comment about X.

    The new laptops, however?

    Maybe a few hundred people in the entire world have EVER touched one.
    They don’t ship for another couple of weeks.
    Virtually no-one has EVER edited on one.

    So it’s so very useful to be able to cruise around the interwebs and learn – so far in advance – just how much Apple has screwed them up.

    On second thought – I suppose it does make me a bit all misty and nostalgic to mentally re-live the X launch.

    ; )

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    November 2, 2016 at 10:54 pm in reply to: Premiere Pro CC and Adobe app updates

    Steve,

    Pardon me. I now realize that my comment was attached to your comment, so it could easily be mis-construed as a response to THAT post. It wasn’t – it was a comment on the entire THREAD.

    Please accept my apologies for the mis-understanding.

    On both sides of the issue, I see people on ALL the forums bashing the other side today. Dismissing either what Apple has just done, what Adobe has just done – and in a few instances, even trying to get AVID in the fight.

    I just see ALL of it as silly.

    My screwup. Not yours.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Perhaps you are correct and Apple just dismisses pros as being fine with weak tea hardware that won’t actually serve us very well.

    Then again, when I got to actually edit on one of the the new MacBook Pros in Cupertino last week – it felt like they really, really did consider those of us who make out livings creating content – and had worked hard to build a stronger mobile (and perhaps even desktop editing on a portable) NLE system that could work really, really well for even high requirements editing.

    I’m so confused.

    You tell me they DON’T care about folks like me – because their machine stats track below what’s possible – and they tell me they do care – and that the numbers they are delivering will properly let me do precisely what I want to do – edit on the road and in my studio with little or no compromises.

    Now I guess I’ll have to UPGRADE my laptop to see whose truth is the more compelling.

    I’m mindful of the fact that the last time I got a new FCP X rig – the change in editing fluidity was literally IMMENSE.

    I guess Editors in general will have to wait another three weeks to see what it’s like this time.

    And so it goes.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    November 2, 2016 at 9:38 pm in reply to: Premiere Pro CC and Adobe app updates

    I’m going to respond here like I *wish* the community would respond whenever Apple advances the bar.

    Adobe has added capabilities for their users.

    Stop obsessing on what’s still missing and enjoy what you DO have that’s new and exciting.

    Stop framing everything in the negative.

    We’re editing in a truly GOLDEN AGE – where the hardware and software is almost universally MIRACULOUS.

    I can do things on my PATIO holding a beer – that I couldn’t dream of in the $250/quarter hour ADO suites of my youth.

    Just enjoy that for a while.

    Period.

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

  • Bill Davis

    October 31, 2016 at 11:05 pm in reply to: What would Walter Murch think of FCPX 10.3?

    [Shane Ross] “Don’t seek validation for the app from Hollywood…you don’t need it. That’s the point I’m trying to make. Albiet in a snarky manner, I’ll admit. :)”

    I agree but I’m not sure that’s the point, Shane.

    I’m not sure it’s actually “validation” so much as dealing with the very real issue of players at a particular level appreciating having the safety to go in different directions IF they wish to.

    Ficarra and Requa, the co-directors of Focus and WTF as well as Jan Kovac the editor – plus Mike Matzdorff the 1st AE that pioneered the X workflow for features – were all once again on stage at the Summit this weekend.

    They were unified in saying that they now PREFER working in X unless something about the project or client requires them to go back and work in something else. They all articulated lots of reasons for why they now have this preference.

    John Requa even used the specific term “Insanely Efficient” to describe FCP X during his presentation.
    Would it be “insanely efficient” for every editor who uses it? Of course not. And right now – there are obviously many, many more working editors in Hollywood who are WAY more efficient in AVID then they would be in X (or Premiere Pro!) for years, if ever.

    But it’s still useful to understand that pros who use it in specific high-profile niche workflows (and major hollywood movies are precisely that if nothing else!) have a viable alternative if they WISH to explore that – that has had the same success that other workflows involving other NLEs have had as well.

    Seems to me that’s worth knowing. That’s all.

    Back to work now…

    Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
    The shortest path to FCP X mastery.

Page 119 of 605

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy