Forum Replies Created
-
Which school?
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
Arnie Schlissel
October 24, 2007 at 9:52 pm in reply to: will FCP reconnect to a later version of a cut?Do I know if you can do it? No, I don’t. Do I know if I can do it? Well, I have.
The media manager in FCP is only as good as how you logged & captured your source tapes. If you were exceedingly anal about it, you should have no problems at all. If all of your tapes are named “001” and all of your source file names start with “Untitled”, then you’re in for trouble.
Other problems are subclips & nested sequences. I generally avoid both, so I’ve never had problems with them.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
Arnie Schlissel
October 24, 2007 at 5:39 pm in reply to: FCP plug-ins wish list: which are your “must haves” ?[Mark Suszko] “Especially interested in plugs that simplify and speed up repetitive or tedious tasks and shorten the learning curve to get a good look or effect, fast.”
[Shane Ross] “I don’t know of a plug in that does that.”
I thought that’s what assistant editors were for!
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
Arnie Schlissel
October 24, 2007 at 5:09 pm in reply to: FCP plug-ins wish list: which are your “must haves” ?[Mark Suszko] “Finally, is there a GOOD FCP plug-in for closed-captioning? Not just subtitling, but honest to goodness broadcast type line 21 closed-captioning, all in software?”
There used to be, but it was discontinued about a year and a half ago. That was STL Edit.
If it were me, I’d make sure that I have at least 1 good light rays plugin, a decent lens flare, a really good glow, and something that would do a nice blur & flash dissolve.
Take a look at Noise Industries, Knoll Light Factory & Trapcode Shine.
NI has a good glow & light rays, along with some other good effects. KLF is great for creating any kind of lens flare effects. Nattress has a really good blur & flash tranny, plus I like the diffusion in his Film Effects pack. Magic Bullet Looks is interesting, buy I’ve only played with the demo for a few minutes.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
[edisonfleck] “Do I need to remove pull down from all the clips and recreate my edit in a 23.98 1080p sequence? Any other advice?”
Yes.
You cannot drop 30i footage with 3:2 pulldown into a 24p timeline & expect it to magically work. Each shot in your timeline is probably starting at a different place in the 3:2 cadence. There’s no software on earth that can automagically detect where the cadence is on each shot & convert them to 24p.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
There are really 2 questions.
The 1st is what are your needs. Not just your current needs, but what are your likely future needs over the 18-36 month lifespan of this system? And beyond that? This is not always such an easy question to answer. It involves some wishful thinking and some pragmatism at the same time.
The 2nd is how much do you know about all of the odd little subsystems that are involved? How much do you want to know? This is pure pragmatism. If you can handle a screwdriver, & already understand more of the general & a few of the finer points about networking, storage, audio & video formats, then you can easily put a system together yourself.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
I don’t know that camera or keyer. What’s the output of the camera? What’s the output of the keyer?
The Decklink cannot cross convert 1080i25 to 720P50. If you want to capture 720P50, you need to feed it 720P50.
If you have a 1080i25 signal going into the Decklink, you’ll have to convert to 720P50 via Compressor, AE, Combustion or Shake. You would need a Kona 3 to convert directly from 1080i25 to 720P50 on capture.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
Reel # & timecode are embedded in the QT file. Most other metadata is not.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
There’s a unix command that you can type into the terminal. simply open up a terminal window and type: mv sourcefilename destinationfilename
You’ll need to include the full directory path in each filename.Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog -
1- Tell him how much bandwidth you need. It sounds like you need much more than he’s offering you. Make sure you spec it out for the fattest bandwidth you’re likely to use in the near future.
2- There are other shared storage solutions besides XSan on XRaid. I suspect you can find a fiber SAN for a more reasonable price. Do a search here & on the Kona forum back 12-18 months & you’ll find at least 2 or 3 other solutions.
Arnie
Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman
https://www.arniepix.com/blog