Forum Replies Created

Page 261 of 333
  • I’ve been enticed by Drobo but always read enough negative reviews not to take the plunge. Maybe the new units will change my mind.

  • Is this your first Drobo Lance? It seems like people either love them or hate them.

  • I haven’t used this feature before so I don’t know how well it works but it sounds like what you want to do. Select all the media that’s within the TC range you want to work in, right click, select Make Multiclip Sequence and FCP will sync the clips based on TC. Sounds good, but like I said I’ve never used it so who knows what will actually happen.

  • Wow, it seems like you’ve covered your bases and nothing has worked.

    I wonder if something odd under the hood happend when you converted the clips and that’s giving FCP fits. Bad media can cause FCP to crash unfortunately the only way to find the bad media is by process of elimination.

  • How big is your FCP project file? Once you start approaching 100megs FCP starts getting unstable. Can you go into more detail about the crashes? What kind of media are you using? Are you using any 3rd party filters? Does it crash in all your projects or only certain projects? Have you noticed it crashing when a certain timeline is open or does it crash regardless of which timeline(s) you have open?

    Have you tried creating a new timeline and copy & pasting your existing edit into that timeline? Have you tried creating a new project and copy & pasting your existing project into the new one?

  • The files are in the other Library folder. The one Apple decided to hide starting in 10.7 because they apparently feel like no one should be digging around in there. To access it go to the Finder menu bar->Go->Go to Folder and type in ~/Library

    That will take you to the correct Library folder

  • Andrew Kimery

    February 14, 2013 at 11:40 am in reply to: FCP 7 output for tv – asked for “16:9 FHA”

    16:9 FHA never really caught on here in the States for broadcast (nor did letterboxing). I used to work on a video game show for SpikeTV and all content on Spike’s SD feed was required to be 4:3 full frame. This presented a problem because video games at the time were all 16:9 so giving them a 4:3 center punch would ruin the game footage due to the cropping. We finally were able to convince the network that our viewers (not to mention video game creators and publishers) wouldn’t be happy with that so the show was the first, and I think only, content on Spike’s SD feed to be letterboxed.

  • Andrew Kimery

    February 14, 2013 at 4:09 am in reply to: Out of Memory conundrum

    What are the dimensions and file sizes of the JPEGs?

  • One thing that seems to get overlooked with FCP’s beginnings is how flexible and scalable it was. Sure, it welcomed DV with open arms but invest in a capture card and faster storage and you could be cutting uncompressed SD (and later HD) with the same system. Avid had a tiered system for DV, SD, HD and even Media Composer for TV and Film Composer for film. FCP’s one-stop-shop for formats and frame rates had a huge impact on its popularity. Price did as well but the price differences we are seeing today are no where near the differences of yesteryear.

    I don’t see the same standard being set w/FCPX. Tapeless acquisition is obviously its strong point but Firewire tape I/O is severely gimped and non-FW tape I/O was ditched out right. I know Apple is playing the long game but I wonder if they showed their hand too soon (I’ve wondered this since FCPX was launched). With how long it takes the industry as a whole to transition I think Avid and Adobe will have time to more gracefully bridge the gap that Apple abruptly jumped over. Time will tell though.

  • [Chris Kenny] “We know how long it takes a new app to achieve substantial adoption in certain segments of this industry, because we saw how long that took for classic FCP. If we go by time since release, FCP X is about where FCP was circa 2001, i.e. two years before Cold Mountain, which is usually taken as the start of its process of breaking into ‘more serious’ market segments. We’re starting to see the very leading edge of that now with FCP X…”

    Going by that metric FCPX won’t be seen as ready for prime time for another 6 years or so. Then, once it really starts taking hold, it will languish for a few years before Apple kills it and starts the cycle all over again. Still not a very compelling argument for FCPX, IMO. 😉

Page 261 of 333

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy