Forum Replies Created

Page 243 of 333
  • Andrew Kimery

    June 12, 2013 at 9:01 pm in reply to: And now, for something completely different…

    [Lance Bachelder] “Yeah I’d just like to see them move to 1080i…”

    I think 720p60 is a sweet spot for sports. Same temporal resolution as 1080i, very close to the same spacial resolution (especially once compression for delivery takes place) and no interlacing artifacts.

    As an aside Lance, didn’t your sig used to say Irvine? Have you relocated recently?

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 11, 2013 at 8:20 pm in reply to: Grant Petty on the new MP

    [Rick Lang] “Andrew, BMD have already indicated they are getting Resolve 10 tuned for the new Mac Pro via it’s latest iteration of OpenCL. Of course Resolve will run on other systems, but it sounds like it may run best on the new Mac Pro.”

    Better than on a Linux box running 8 top end GPUs? I wouldn’t be surprised if the new Mac Pro will run Resolve better than any other Mac, but Mac performance has always been weaker compared to Windows and Linux installs because of limited GPU options, hasn’t it?

    For an off-the-shelf solution the new Mac Pro might be the best option depending on price, of course, and It’s possible that the Mac Pro Tube + Resolve/Resolve Lite represents the sweet spot of performance and accessibility. They won’t be the most screaming fast machines, but screaming fast is already a niche w/in a niche.

  • [Shane Ross] ” Tubes always outdo computers stuffed inside monitors. “

    Shane Ross, you are my internet hero for June 11th, 2013.

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 11, 2013 at 4:36 am in reply to: Someone explain this…

    [Chris Kenny] ” The truth is, with Thunderbolt 2’s bandwidth, the list of real-world use cases where you still need PCIe is pretty slim. It mostly does just come down to GPUs.
    “

    Agreed. I thought I said as much in my first post. Maybe I worded it poorly?

    [Bobby Mosca] “I want to see a set-up the melts that sucka!! Here’s an example of a pretty powerful peripheral doing just fine with the TB limitations, so here’s a positive. I want a negative demonstration, too!”

    I don’t have a video of a negative example but I can’t imagine trying to run a 16x GPU full tilt via a 4x or 8x pipe would yield good results.

    Most editors aren’t going to run into situations that ThB 2 can’t solve. I’ve been guessing Apple is going ditch PCI slots and internal expansion for that reason since 2011.

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 11, 2013 at 4:15 am in reply to: Someone explain this…

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Here’s trip down memory lane when we talked about this 1.5 years ago. I apologize for getting punchy, I was all alone on a Thunderbot raft in a sea of pcie cards.

    https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/24438“

    Not to hop on the bandwagon but I was that raft too.

    Some snippets from a couple of my posts in that thread:

    “First off, I don’t see how anyone can watch that demo and not be impressed. 4k playback, screen recording and recording a feed from an external camera via SDI all happening concurrently on a MacBook Air! Seriously?!? ”

    and

    “Given the desire for clean lines and simplicity I’m sure there are mock-ups of devices at Apple that don’t have anything but USB 2 and ThB ports.”

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 11, 2013 at 4:03 am in reply to: Upgradable GPUs

    What no love for the people that have upgraded their 1,1 Mac Pros?

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 11, 2013 at 4:01 am in reply to: Someone explain this…

    [Bobby Mosca] “Then how was this guy running RED 4K video at full resolution, without hardware assistance on the mercury playback engine, coloring it, recording a screencast, and a webcast, on a MacBook Air, at the same time? What else can you throw at it?”

    I think you misunderstood something in the video. The RED Rocket card (in an enclosure connected via ThB) is allowing him to do all of that because it’s processing the RED footage. Before he enabled the RED Rocket card the computer couldn’t even playback the footage.

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 11, 2013 at 3:43 am in reply to: MacPro price speculation …

    [Rich Rubasch] ” Not many have brought up the fact that it will be assembled by high-priced American workers”

    Not to take this thread political but the cost of labor isn’t that big of a factor in the grand scheme of things. Finding enough qualified engineers, labor regulations, environmental regulations, being closer to other parts of the supply chain, etc., factor more into the cost cutting and efficiency of going over seas than straight up labor costs.

    Corning, for example, opened up a new Gorilla Glass factory in recently China (it’s first glass factory outside of the U.S.) and said it was logistics, not hourly wage, that was the deciding factor. Their new plant is down the street from the factory that will take the raw sheets of glass and cut them into displays for iDevices. For the demand Corning is seeing these days, solely shipping raw sheets of glass from the U.S. to China doesn’t make business since anymore.

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 11, 2013 at 3:28 am in reply to: Someone explain this…

    ThB won’t help you if you want more GPU power than the machine ships with. ThB 1 is equal to a 4x PCIe slot. ThB 2, I would assume, is equal to an 8x slot. GPUs typically sit in a 16x slot.

    For data through-put ThB is fine. For adding external GPUs, though, it’s slow.

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 11, 2013 at 1:16 am in reply to: Grant Petty on the new MP

    [Chris Kenny] “This takes it further. The Mac has been much more homogenous than Windows, but at the level of, say, video workstations, RAID controllers, graphics, video I/O, etc. were all still variable. Now RAID will often just be Thunderbolt mass storage, and there’s going to be one model of GPU (with some variants) to worry about every 12-18 months. (Video I/O is still going to require devices with third-party drivers, etc. I think, unless Apple has some unannounced plans for that HDMI port.)”

    Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see how it takes it significantly further when the software will still have to be generalized enough to run on a a variety of Macs running a variety of software, hardware, firmware, drivers and operating systems. Sure, I can see some vague optimizations like software will run better with ATI GPUs than NVIDIA (which was the case for Color and Motion in the past) but I don’t see any software optimization remotely close to the level of a game for a video game console.

Page 243 of 333

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy