Forum Replies Created

Page 110 of 333
  • Andrew Kimery

    October 27, 2015 at 2:47 am in reply to: Verdict: FCP X & El Capitan?

    Here’s another bit of info from fellow COW user Tim Jones.

    “Good input David – also be aware that the new “locked out” folders in 10.11 include /bin, /sbin, /etc, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /private/root, /System, and /dev. If you or one of your tools has placed anything into any of those locations, the change / addition will be deleted with no warning or explanation. Things will just stop working.

    My recommendation to all – if you don’t have a really, really, really compelling reason to update to 10.11, DON’T.

    If you MUST, and you use BRU Producer’s Edition, make sure that you upgrade to the latest version (3.1.16 build 203 at this time) to insure El Capitan compatibility. Also, if you’re running ATTO HBAs, be sure to update your drivers and firmware from the attotech.com site as Apple is still downgrading the drivers.

    HPT users are okay with the current drivers.”

    https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/971087

  • Andrew Kimery

    October 26, 2015 at 8:18 pm in reply to: Working with different format videos.

    [Irene Sinou] “And am wondering what is the best working format with Premiere (equivalent to ProRes).
    I’ve got a bunch of filming format to edit and I’d like to work on a single format… “

    PPro doesn’t have a de facto format to work in. You could change everything to ProRes or DNxHD or Cineform… whatever you want (that ideally runs well on your machine).

  • Andrew Kimery

    October 26, 2015 at 8:15 pm in reply to: Verdict: FCP X & El Capitan?

    [Bret Williams] “Another waste of a read. Let me paraphrase… Larry updated his OS. He’ll get back to us on what he finds later. Thanks Larry.”

    Did you read the comments? People mention specific problems such as iZotope plugins.

  • Andrew Kimery

    October 26, 2015 at 7:47 pm in reply to: Verdict: FCP X & El Capitan?

    As if on cue, Larry Jordan talks about upgrading to El Cap (check out the comments section for user feedback).

    https://larryjordan.com/articles/what-i-learned-upgrading-to-el-capitan/

  • Andrew Kimery

    October 26, 2015 at 5:39 pm in reply to: Apple at the FCPExchange event in LA yesterday.

    [Bill Davis] ” I tried to skate a bit around what he couldn’t say and glean some at least vague idea of how diverse the various worlds of general purpose X users are. I failed UTTERLY. “

    Haha. I’m sure the people at Apple, especially the ones that have been around for a long time, have become very good at not spilling the beans (or even jostling the container) about things like that.

    [Bill Davis] “I have a sneaking feeling that theres REALLY interesting work being done on the edges of editing in X – maybe stuff like scientific data collection, or fine arts,”

    You probably already have, but have to talked with Jim Wiseman here at the COW? He’s done, and is doing, some non-traditional things (for lack of a better term) and I also know he just recently took the plunge with X.

  • Andrew Kimery

    October 26, 2015 at 3:44 pm in reply to: Apple at the FCPExchange event in LA yesterday.

    Sorry I couldn’t make it out to talk shop with you this time, though like Oliver I’m curious about more details from the event.

    [Bill Davis] “He noted that the development of X will continue and used the phrase “at about the same rate as we’ve established””

    The rate of development they established when X was newer or the rate they established that has people complaining about the rate of development? 😉

  • Andrew Kimery

    October 25, 2015 at 6:52 pm in reply to: Where can I find Premiere Pro 2014

    [Gary Childress] “I did find the install as everybody mentioned. But now I have a wierd problem where PP2014 says that the projects were created in a newer version and can’t be opened. Yet in PP2015 the same projects will open with the created in a prior version error and they must be converted.

    Any ideas?”

    I’ve heard about this error occasionally (same version used but you get the ‘newer version’ message) but never encountered it myself (at least not with PPro, I happened to me more than once with the old FCP). Try creating a new project in in 2014 and then using the Media Browser to import the project you want to work on. I’ve had a couple of PPro projects get corrupt and I’ve used this method to generate a ‘clean slate’ so to speak.

  • Andrew Kimery

    October 25, 2015 at 1:34 am in reply to: Where can I find Premiere Pro 2014

    [Gary Childress] “Where can I find a 2014 installer? I am a CC subscriber.”

    By default I think the CC app shows the latest versions but if you scroll down you should see a heading for “previous versions”.

  • [Ryan Pierce] “I edit 1080 and some 4k footage consistently. And need to know which mac as well as which specs are best for editing efficiently (fast render time/less chance of stutter during play back etc)…”

    What’s your budget?

    [Ryan Pierce] “What do the bigger post houses use?”

    From what I’ve seen a lot of old Mac Pros and some are transitioning to nMPs if they are need an Apple-centric workflow, if not going the PC route seems to be on the up swing.

    The current MP was released in 2013 so it’s a really bad time to buy, IMO. No idea when a new version will come out (maybe this fall, maybe next fall, maybe 2017…) but it kinda sucks to be paying to dollar for a two year old machine.

    [Jon Frost] “You will need an external PCIe 3 chassis in order to use the more popular GPU cards with the newest MACPro that tis the size of a coffee can. fortunately you can leverage the Thunderbolt I/O connectivity for both graphics and HDDs/RAID setups.”

    Thunderbolt 2 (which is what the black Mac Pros have) is only equivalent to 4x (maybe 8x, I can’t remember) PCIe and a GPU normal goes in a 16x slot. While you can use an external case to hook up a GPU it is going to be severely bottlenecked.

  • Andrew Kimery

    October 24, 2015 at 6:17 pm in reply to: Sub-frame Audio editing – FCP X vs Premiere

    [Mark Smith] “in the end no one watching lets say “Homeland” is thinking ‘oh wow this episode that was cut on Premier is so awesome’ .”

    The discussions aren’t about whether or not the audience can tell what tools are being used though. The discussions are about the objective and subjective differences in the tools and how they can help or hinder our ability to quickly and easily get the job done within the budgetary and time constraints of the project.

Page 110 of 333

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy