Aindreas Gallagher
Forum Replies Created
-
No he means that without the current revenues streams in the low three figures from the word processing, spreadsheet end, and the low three figures revenue from the OS end, Microsoft is going to be gutted. That’s my point.
As advertising is to google so Windows licensing/office retail is to MS.
Office is their largest remaining profit driver, and god, just the iPhone revenue alone is larger than all microsofts revenue per quarter. You could argue that all MS are now is a creaky historical business OS, an over complex word processor and a spreadsheet.
…Bar anything else, I had to stick the knife in. Mac OS System 7 FTW.
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
unless, I should add, Apple, the worlds most powerful corporation, born directly from the creative industries, would choose to balance an umbrella over said creative industry’s head now.
By simply making a forthright public declaration of intent – any smarties; warm milk, charitable tower hardware support, a forked FC Pro to resuscitate the bread paying tens of thousands left dead by FCPX, and finally – some fresh gingerbread biscuits. literally anything. The monolith unanswerable to a state broadcaster or a sole trader is becoming unbearable given their massive shift.
It’s becoming cruel.
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Yes, but where do you realistically go?
Mainstream computing is shearing completely away from our work model.
the iPad and the iPhone aren’t a phone and a tablet; they’re two iterations of a mobile touch based computing platform. the entire PC industry is running screaming after it. And for my money, I think that microsoft is incredibly confused at this point. I don’t see how windows becomes our new port of call.
The idea that desktop windows explodes into metro at the start menu is a shockingly weird decision. I think that microsoft is near headless strategically at this point. Given their terrifying current experience in phones, the one thing microsoft vestigially understand is that, in order to save themselves, they have to somehow shove the magic of windows proper into the exploding market Apple have created.
But: how exactly does a $125 MS office work on appstore pricing? And how does windows work as an embedded free OS?
The idea that tablet windows is going to present me with the metro environment, and then say expose the win7 explorer ribbon of a million tiny icons and drop down menus in the same touch driven environment is, to put it simply, insane.
Microsoft has two financial pillars: the Windows OS and the Office suite.I think we’re watching Microsoft being eaten alive – slowly – but eaten alive.
reality is melting messily in all directions across “personal computing”, and we are largely hosed.
the fear would be that, as a combined hardware software OS requirement, the environment of stuff like editing and post may in time, due to the vanishing protection of consumer market multipliers, become less like the example of a truck to a car even, and more like the comparison of a combine harvester to a car: it has wheels, but its guts are way, way off the bell curve; they become very isolated and specific, and accordingly expensive.
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
[Neil Goodman] ” i dont check everyones credentials that post on the cow,”
sure me neither, but in this case, it’s pretty funny.
Bud: Ron actually is the Cow.He bore the beast back in the days of the AE silver lists and the wwugs. This is his gaff.
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
ah bill, I will gently forgo the corollary.
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Quite. We are talking Ron Lindeboom here: we’re sitting in his house.
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
can’t we all just go back five years? have dell towers broadly purchased by consumers, and track based video editors as far as the eye can see?
I’m beginning to despise change.. in my thirties.
If I could go back in time, I’m not sure I’d kill Hitler, I think I might destroy the iOS blueprints.
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
damn straight. I like how well the placeholder graphics are integrated too.
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
[Simon Ubsdell] “One of the other key indicators is that iMovie 08 (onwards) was way, way too sophisticated in fundamental conception for its target market at the time.”
this.
So we’re inclined to think that a demonstration was given to Jobs by Ubillos for the guts of what was to be the iMovie 08 we know now. Ubillos, (who I insulted relentlessly post launch – true apologies) was demoing what he understood to be in his mind the equivalent to pre-stage footage organisation workflow. First cut. Almost a kind of aperture pre-stage.
your mind salivates at our lost future 32 bit float workflow within a hypothetical skimming aperture/first cut pre-stage for footage categorisation and meta data handling, bin categorisation and rough cuts. A deeply integrated launchpad to an unadulterated joined editing system. (A full track independent FCPX open for all DSLR comers? Why wouldn’t photographers like clean multiple tracks? how is that not their first post of call? ribbons of footage overlaid?)
Instead –
we have the entire separate hypothetical First cut app pre-data organisation digital asset management system wedged into the top left corner of FCPX. And it has literally knocked out our editing system viewer. That is how mad the chain of events is.
Lovely Mess.
As I get it, Jobs called that Ubillos demo to be a functional going forward consumer video architecture, and decreed it to be the basis of future editing carry on, in the form of iMovie 08. (although the skimmer action and a bunch of event terminology had been knocking around in iphoto well prior to ’08…)
Still: we all remember how crazy the reaction to imovie 08 was.
and we only had to wait another few years for our own special professional reaction.
It’s hard not to find layered unintended consequences everywhere here.
the one thing that struck me in the Jobs biog was the primacy of the critical demo: an incredibly flat management structure fashioned to produce clear thumbs up or down on many software initiatives.
If possible, given the massive industry confusion, you would near literally beg Timothy Cook to spare a properly considered glance at this situation.
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics