Aindreas Gallagher
Forum Replies Created
-
[Jim Giberti] “When the dust settles and we look back in retrospect, I think we’ll see that Apple did (inadvertently) a really good thing for this part of creative world.
They gave “David” a chance to get a slingshot and rock. Whether Apple responds/recalibrates in a way that makes FCP the real deal or Adobe comes to the rescue of the professional community, Apple has set up some genuinely high drama in a usually stable, geeky corner of the world.”
yes. this rather.
I’ve never felt like more of a consumer as an editor – as you say – whatever way one cuts it, Apple have ended up unleashing direct consumer market forces across professional media editing to an unheard of degree.
And then strike out their own turf with X.
I refuse however, to say that they could be playing 3D chess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaMf4cb-tAc
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Good God Amen.
Brick: she makes such crazy love to Hammett and Chandler.
I love my Hammett, I love my Chandler. And who doesn’t like the word noir? even the way it sounds?
Although.. re-reading your quote there, you’d nearly think there’s a bit of dense Runyon poetry maybe flowing there too? …:)
right so. I’m watching Brick again.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
[Jeremy Garchow] “Adobe’s communication is commendable…. Can’t wait to see what they do with it.”
I think one can see pretty clearly what they have done with it – it looks pretty damn good? there’s a beta tester down the thread saying 6 is as solid as a rock, it has avid scale trimming tools, FCPX bin scrubbing (with a viewer), genuine USP tasties like warp stabiliser (don’t you just love that thing? for promos?)
I have been pretty consistently rooting for it, but I don’t actually think this release requires rooting for. The toolset is ferocious, its 64 bit, cross platform, its opening into CL..
so say as an editor – he said grandly… your concerns would be asset acquisition, management and categorisation, timeline/modal trimming for story and output no?-
this thing dynamically trims as well as Avid, say the people who actually know what they are doing, I know I can operate in the timeline as I have in FCP, and instead of being in FCP, I’m in a kissing cousin of AE and PS?
But, the thing I find genuinely interesting about all this, is that adobe look to have analysed and fully replicated Avid’s renowned dynamic trim workflow, in a heavily compressed competition driven timeframe.
And this after ten years of Apple completely failing to do anything like the same.
I never knew, until I saw the full Avid demos a few months ago, how obviously critical dynamic trimming could be, and.. it’s interesting to say the least, that Apple never got it together in ten years, the current incarnation X with the precision trimmer has nothing like it, in fact worse, given the conflict between the skimmer and the timeline marker, the play forward, slap spacebar stop to mark doesn’t work to my understanding?
bottom line: Adobe put an entire best in class editing trim architecture together quick smart for uncomplicated, competitive reasons.
If I’m going to be a prisoner with a dilemma as Hurd has put it – as an editor, I would far, far sooner be a prisoner of Adobe than Apple.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
[Jim Giberti] “We have enough tools that we need to maintain our skills with already. This demographic is definitely interested in one platform going forward”
My blurbing here –
I’m generally in the broader creative/not just editing thing – in a lowly fashion – on the one solution thing say: in my day, I tend to push out a ton of after effects finishing stuff, or pure AE generated stuff with the edit I put together, and might occasionally interact with an art director, who would say take the rough guesses for type time and placement I’ve plopped in FCP and hand back storyboards of brand correct stills of type placement from PS for me to master the FCP output in AE…so rather lengthy spiel that but –
my thing is: I basically agree that, having drifted out of telly into any old thing, this kind of broader creative interflow is, I think, likely to be rather big going forward: am I mad in thinking that, for a large sector, if PPro proves an easy stable swallow, a lot of us are quite likely to find ourselves walking into Adobe Premiere town?
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
for sure, you swim in different scale facility waters – we’re more darting our gaze madly in all directions –
Although nicely, everyone seems to be holding out choccie bars and profoundly better software?
it does feel like Adobe are stepping up in a particularly serious way – and with clear meaning and intent. Thank God frankly.
that adobe guy who was demoing at Nab on fresh DV- he was making camera eye contact as often as he could when he was outlining the scale of change in the app. right down to the nitty gritty, like footage in use indicators in the bin, scrubbing IO set clip methodology in the bin etc.
nevermind the new trim architecture.
You have to feel Adobe are palpably serious here. And the only way they make money is if we buy the thing.….and then, in the case of Avid, we’re getting crisp twenty dollar bills! and a lot of them – simply to get on board with an industry lodestone.
it’s not too shabby really.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
Doesn’t need it! It’s great stuff.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
niiiice! I like it.
and thus this will be one’s new flame short hand:
listen, you god forsaken TD, I’d like to think I’m a DT, but we all know what Apple are like: it’s DD editing world man, it’s just a DD editing world.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
[Walter Soyka] “If I were a freelance creative editor that used to use FCP7 exclusively, you can bet I’d be learning MC, Pr and FCPX.”
yes – I’m in a round robin email with a few other editors on getting an order in on box set deliveries of Avid Symphony, with printed manuals for £862.50.
there is no way on God’s earth I’m not, and this goes for a lot of us, buying and learning that application at that once in a lifetime price point.
(once in a lifetime unless blackmagic buy Avid that is 🙂Premiere is a lock – its very close to current practise coming from 7, and I’m swimming in Adobe seas for the rest of it, those seas are Mediterranean for me.
I think Premiere is going to eat FCP7’s market share to a really significant degree – that just makes sense to my head, given Adobe’s policies on communication, and their obvious strong desire to advance in the editing market. 6 is a transformative upgrade to that application.FCPX, to a certain degree, really isn’t hard to get ahold of, and Alex Lindsey swears by it as his daily editor, Steve Connor just cut a film shot in India on it, and with .04 – he reports that it takes the entire 90 minutes without hiccuping, he’s had it broken down into three or four segments before.
That said there are real issues with the autosave architecture, and some posts here on what has happened to work in progress are fairly terrifying.It’s new though like, and Apple are after the market.
[Jeremy Garchow] “The “buy them all and use them all” approach is unsustainable, not from a cost standpoint today, but from an management and data archive standpoint, and let’s not forget the sanity standpoint as it’s rather important.”
Sure – but the point is, given the extreme fluidity of the situation, the completely unprecedented position we’re in with all software providers going like gangbusters for the market, as a freelancer, you really have no choice but to be fairly well gamed up on Avid and Premiere in addition to7 – I give less weight to X, because as of right now, in the world, we can point to two to three facilities and a German guy.
that may well change, but right now, if you expect to get paid to edit, you should not expect to be editing on FCPX.
there may well be this ‘wider world of editing’ but it doesn’t take invoices.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
It’s too early for premiere – maybe FCPX too really, but its definitely far too early to judge the level of impact PPro 6 is going to have – I think there is going to be a pretty significant shift to PPro: I mean it looks fit for purpose, almost everyone already has it to upgrade to 6 from, the trimming tools are now better than I know how to use, there’s proper application level card output support, and there are a couple usps like warp stabilser..
I personally find it really easy to imagine myself editing in 6, and I reckon a ton of corporate commercial (at least moodfilm, case study stuff) could go largely to premiere.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics -
patent that.
https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos
http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics