Forum Replies Created

Page 146 of 242
  • Aindreas Gallagher

    July 22, 2012 at 9:37 am in reply to: Editing scenario

    alban – i posted this over two months ago – what are you doing? reading three months worth of the forum? And venting spleen at ancient comments? Its a little weird alban.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • [Walter Soyka] “Creative Cloud costs $50 per month. If you start work at 9:00am, your month’s fee will be paid for by 10:00am on the first day of every month. “

    that’s put beautifully.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    July 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm in reply to: What we have really lost with FCP 7

    my one day smorgasbord with avid didn’t get to that – what’s this source timeline?

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    July 14, 2012 at 7:00 pm in reply to: What we have really lost with FCP 7

    yes for sure – its almost funny at this point how tip toe it all is, my hair was on fire six months ago and absolutely nothing has changed – although I am expecting it to start shaking out to premiere in many instances – eventually – its the easiest switch I think.

    I got a full day run through off a soho online editor on Avid – its a powerhouse alright – but its verrry different. Also the effect handling is, to put it mildly, weird I thought. thats not a value judgement – just that all things being equal, its hard not to see the FCP editor opting for premiere if he has the choice.

    there are little hints of premiere coming in – I’ve seen one or two FCP job listings on mandy that also include premiere as an option.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    July 14, 2012 at 3:35 pm in reply to: What we have really lost with FCP 7

    well, I’m not massively well informed but more or less no one is budging yet. – associated press has shifted everything to premiere – thats the only big substantive push I heard of – they published new working practise for all producers working with the software like.

    for what I know barring that – ESPN is still FCP7, MTV Viacom commercial EMEA stuff is still FCP7, a very big web design firm I do stints at is still FCP 7, Disney EMEA is still FCP 7, GREY the advertising behometh is still FCP 7 in all suites, basically… no one has moved yet.

    more than one person has said they’re not inclined to move because they’re happy with their pool of editors, and a lot, an awful lot of london editors are FCP – particularly short form and commercial stuff.

    no one seems at all inclined to do anything hasty, and all the kit still works.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    July 13, 2012 at 10:34 pm in reply to: What we have really lost with FCP 7

    mate – I’m not long back from work – lets not completely over-do the irish stereotype shall we? 🙂

    its really not birthing pains bud – its just not the same expressed goal. And I liked and respected the old goal.

    in the end, the ultimate issue would be that no one paying money (in london) appears inclined or willing to go anywhere near this software. or its provider.

    stand to be corrected etc.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    July 13, 2012 at 9:32 pm in reply to: What we have really lost with FCP 7

    Aye, I love unit. Have a done a few stints there. Who doesn’t like a wee soho lunch menu?

    say unit was like an affirmation walking in though – OS folder structure, work practice, the general notion – you realised that everyone was figuring out things the same way – nearly identical file folder structure organisation in OSX for FCP was spontaneously happening everywhere. And unit was the place with the passcode locked room for EU apple ad work for gods sake?

    In a way, what I think apple didn’t see, or even care about, was that their editing system had become, outside of itself, a structure for a lot of contemporary thought about how editing and post should take place – FCP had a real base level validity – that reality permeated half of london.

    People drew conclusions about the world they were in based on the democratic strength of the application. For all its failures – it was ludicrously strong.
    In many respects, Final Cut Pro was an underpinning to an important shift – that lots of people realised they could pull things together – as designers had done for years prior.
    No one really needed Isis or Irix – we could happily self organise. And we did en masse. real workers of the world in a sense. death to flame and avid.

    Apple produced a sentence with FCP – they were saying that there was full democracy within true professional craft. In a really interesting way, they were disseminating scales of skills availability – anyone could make an OMF, and anyone could conduct absolute first rate colour grading, Final Cut Pro wasn’t an application, it was a gift platform to let anything ensue.

    FCP was, more than anything else, an open patent.

    The only problem I have with FCPX is that it is a brain damaged diminution of craft designed for complete illiterate morons.
    It’s not an open patent now – its a burger recipe.

    its not communicable or real, its not transferable or valid, its certainly not intelligible: its a laughable mess of cupertino egocentric phrases like “secondary storyline” and “connected clips”, “roles”, “special sauce” “eleven spices” “umami” “amazing editing flavours”

    It’s the liberal arts as a cheeseburger.

    or a razor for aluminium unibody blades.

    thought maybe one last rant and that. would be a shame not to no?

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • Aindreas Gallagher

    July 3, 2012 at 10:45 pm in reply to: Tape is dead ???

    ESPN London still likes them.

    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3421180/espn_pic.jpg

    Seriously, it had been a while – I plopped this up on facebook today. I missed the sight of some indestructible storage. In this case they held really good tennis.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • nice! on the whole, I’d like to think I’m not going to headbutt myself with my MBP.

    look – I’m not here, I only spoke in curiosity to oliver – I only mean that the meme of belligerent transference to windows looks a little dodgy considering where they are headed?
    they seem to be strongly deprecating the traditional windows software ecosystem?

    if there really isn’t a plausible mac exit for the built up video production community – bar crazy big iron moves to Avid stuff – then in terms of small to mid scale facility local repair hardware, we have:

    critically ageing facility MacPros *everywhere* (seriously aren’t they? anyone?), small shop iMacs that run better than most of the facility MacPros, and an email from tim cook, saying that something good might happen in the next 12 months with regard to open hardware.

    It’s nothing new, I’m regurgitating merrily here, but this is a bad bind to some degree. Windows will never replicate the intellectual business concern that lead to Pro Res, FCP, Quicktime, etc. And Apple are very likely to be evermore drawn to closed consumer objects.

    we may be screwed.

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

  • hey – out of curiosity, what do you think this is likely to boil down to? where does this actually go?

    windows is going for an australian walkabout with Win8: tablet/RT/ARM/no start menu/Metro first class apps dictats,

    and Apple looks to be progressively hermetically sealing their hardware – barring Cook’s something great in 12-ish months..

    to an extent – what the hell? how does this actually play through?

    https://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Page 146 of 242

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy