Forum Replies Created

Page 127 of 180
  • Aharon Rabinowitz

    February 23, 2006 at 8:21 pm in reply to: Copying layers from one AI Doc to Another

    I’m in CS2. Thanks.

    Aharon

    —————————————-
    Aharon Rabinowitz
    aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
    http://www.allbetsareoff.com
    —————————————-
    Creative Cow Master Series DVD
    particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
    available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

  • I use it to create tight junk mattes around a footage I have to key. And a few other things I can;t think of due to lack of sleep. But all in a ll a nice tool.

    —————————————-
    Aharon Rabinowitz
    aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
    http://www.allbetsareoff.com
    —————————————-
    Creative Cow Master Series DVD
    particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
    available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

  • Aharon Rabinowitz

    February 23, 2006 at 1:41 pm in reply to: Copying layers from one AI Doc to Another

    Thanks. I tired that first, but I didn’t have any luck. Maybe there’s a key command with it?

    —————————————-
    Aharon Rabinowitz
    aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
    http://www.allbetsareoff.com
    —————————————-
    Creative Cow Master Series DVD
    particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
    available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

  • Thanks for the info Andrew.

    did some work on a canopus dv system a while ago and there was an
    option to expand or not to expand. Don’t know much about it, but it seemed
    to work great. we just left everything as it was and when the tape was
    checked on a scope it was just fine. no fouled up color anywhere.

    in my tutorial, you’ll notice I said that sometimes it’s best to let the video editor handle this – As I mentioned, NLE’s often have tools geared towards this problem, so if you don’t know what you’re doing, then yeah, let people with the proper tools handle it. A lot of the editors I’ve worked with ahve told me not to worry about color safety because they handle all of that.

    A lot of the time I use the trick in my tutorial because we often go straight from AE, to Quicktime, to a DDR (Digital Data Recorder to Tape) – with no NLE in the mix to lay off to tape. The file is transfered to the DDR harddrive and then frame-by-frame to tape. So we need to handle color safety ourself in those situations.

    —————————————-
    Aharon Rabinowitz
    aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
    http://www.allbetsareoff.com
    —————————————-
    Creative Cow Master Series DVD
    particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
    available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

  • That’s news to me – which is cool because i like learning new things.

    If I understand you correctly, then that means that you wouldn’t need to worry about safe color. Any idea what codec that is – perhaps a propriatary codec for certain video systems – I’ve never heard that before, but i wouldn’t be surprised, though I can think of a designer or 2 that would get all in a huff because it downgrades all the colors on export… (the same way my tutorial does)

    When you say codecs, are we talking lossless or lossy? There’s a huge difference. Compressed lossy codecs tend to blow out colors a lot – the opposite of what you described.

    —————————————-
    Aharon Rabinowitz
    aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
    http://www.allbetsareoff.com
    —————————————-
    Creative Cow Master Series DVD
    particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
    available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

  • Aharon Rabinowitz

    February 22, 2006 at 11:37 pm in reply to: Copying layers from one AI Doc to Another

    forgot to tag it for response…

    —————————————-
    Aharon Rabinowitz
    aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
    http://www.allbetsareoff.com
    —————————————-
    Creative Cow Master Series DVD
    particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
    available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

  • Like I said, the method isn’t perfect, but I’ve handed this off to editors who have treated this the same way they treat any other footage – which is usually as RGB.

    I have never had anyone report an issue – that 235 cap has not failed me yet…

    though depending on the tape transfer itself that stuff can get messed up anyway – We once received a master and a copy where the maser was within scope, and the copy was so far out of scope it was like listening to bees nest when it buzzed. Something was wrong with the 2nd VTR which somehow boosted the color. Only proves, no matter how hard you try, someone, somewhere can mess things up.

    But again, if you do it this way, and import the way you normaly import footage, you should have no problem.

    Regretibly, I’ve done very little work in PAL. I’m hoping some of our non-america based AE artists or editors can weigh in here.

    —————————————-
    Aharon Rabinowitz
    aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
    http://www.allbetsareoff.com
    —————————————-
    Creative Cow Master Series DVD
    particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
    available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

  • Aharon Rabinowitz

    February 22, 2006 at 10:00 pm in reply to: Displacement Map in Aharon Rabinowitz Video

    Sorry I didn’t label those layers I was rushing to get them up and I forgot to do it. I’m totally guilty of my biggest pet peeve. sorry about that.

    Thanks for your help in expling things folks.

    To animate fractal noise, just keyframe it’s evolution property. That’s the property that animates the noise – otherwise it stays still. You need at least 2 keyframes for this to work.

    The rain drops in the intro looks like it could be using CC Drizzle as a displaement on the wet street, or maybe since Aharon is a Particle Illusion guy, using a raindrop patters (a PI preset, or his modification) as a displacement layer.

    this one was done in maya using a displacement map I made with particleIllusion. – however, you are right you could do with CC drizzle and a little work. I just used footage from an old project.

    Even better, if you watch part 3, I show you how to do it from real footage of water – so if you haven’t watched that part yet, you can get is as a podcast now, and it will be available as a regular tutorial very soon.

    https://www.creativecow.net/aepodcast

    —————————————-
    Aharon Rabinowitz
    aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
    http://www.allbetsareoff.com
    —————————————-
    Creative Cow Master Series DVD
    particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
    available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

  • Aharon Rabinowitz

    February 22, 2006 at 10:00 pm in reply to: Displacement Map in Aharon Rabinowitz Video

    Sorry I didn’t label those layers I was rushing to get them up and I forgot to do it. I’m totally guilty of my biggest pet peeve. sorry about that.

    Thanks for your help in expling things folks.

    To animate fractal noise, just keyframe it’s evolution property. That’s the property that animates the noise – otherwise it stays still. You need at least 2 keyframes for this to work.

    The rain drops in the intro looks like it could be using CC Drizzle as a displaement on the wet street, or maybe since Aharon is a Particle Illusion guy, using a raindrop patters (a PI preset, or his modification) as a displacement layer.

    this one was done in maya using a displacement map I made with particleIllusion. – however, you are right you could do with CC drizzle and a little work. I just used footage from an old project.

    Even better, if you watch part 3, I show you how to do it from real footage of water – so if you haven’t watched that part yet, you can get is as a podcast now, and it will be available as a regular tutorial very soon.

    https://www.creativecow.net/aepodcast

    —————————————-
    Aharon Rabinowitz
    aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
    http://www.allbetsareoff.com
    —————————————-
    Creative Cow Master Series DVD
    particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
    available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

  • The auto Trace feature might be able to help you…

    Bring the photoshop image into AE, drop it into the comp, and then select the layer and try

    Layer > AutoTrace

    I think there are options in there for using luminance as the source of the trace, but if not there are definately settings for R G or B and since white is all RGB and black is no RGB, then it should work.

    If you can just get rid of the non-mask area in PS, then there’s also an option for using Alpha as the source of the trace.

    This tool creates a mask either on the layer, or on a new solid that perfectly 9or almost perfectly) matches your traced element.

    —————————————-
    Aharon Rabinowitz
    aharon(AT)yahoo(DOT)com
    http://www.allbetsareoff.com
    —————————————-
    Creative Cow Master Series DVD
    particleIllusion Fusion Volume 1
    available @ http://www.pIllusionFusion.com

Page 127 of 180

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy