Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro Sync issues

• Sync issues

Mike Kujbida updated 8 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 11 Posts
  • Martin Phillips

December 18, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Hi everyone,

This is puzzling me. I have some footage of a first dance filmed at a recent wedding. When I over dub the original music track, it gradually gets out of sync as the song progresses. This has only occurred in the last 2 edits, I thought at first the DJ had played the music at the wrong speed, but that can’t be the case.

I am currently using Vegas pro 11 (I have tried it on Vegas 12, with the same problem).

Really need some help on this one?

Regards
    Martin

• John Rofrano

December 18, 2012 at 9:03 pm

[Martin Phillips] “This is puzzling me. I have some footage of a first dance filmed at a recent wedding. When I over dub the original music track, it gradually gets out of sync as the song progresses.”

The drift is to be expected since every playback devices has it’s own clock crystal and plays back at slightly different speeds. To fix it, you need to stretch the music to fit the video audio. This may require splitting it in several places as it gets out of sync and Ctrl+Dragging the right edge so that it lines up again.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

• Martin Phillips

December 18, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Hi John,

Thank you for responding. I do understand that as an issue, and i think i may have just been unlucky in the last 2 weeks, because i have edited over 150 weddings with vegas, and its only the last 2 that have required any ‘fixing’…. ive just loaded the first dance for the next wedding and over dubed the org track, and its fine – which makes me think just an unlucky run.

Regards
    Martin

• John Rofrano

December 19, 2012 at 1:27 am

[Martin Phillips] “which makes me think just an unlucky run.”

…or a DJ who’s playback device is a bit off (or a ghost in the machine) 😉

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

• Nigel O’Neill

December 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm

[John Rofrano] “DJ who’s playback device is a bit off (“

I experienced that for the first time at a recent wedding. I noticed he was able to adjust the pitch to better mix tracks. It is a real pain when they do that.

• Martin Phillips

December 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Hi Nigel,

I think thats it….. i must check that with the next DJ.

Regards
    Martin

• Mike Kujbida

December 19, 2012 at 2:16 pm

DJs are notorious for doing this. It would be OK if they left the pitch control alone as you could do a time stretch in Vegas but a lot of them change it back to normal (or speed it up) after the crossfade 🙁

• Martin Phillips

December 19, 2012 at 2:22 pm

This is making more sense now…. one way around it i guess would be to get the channel 2 audio directly from their mixing desk.

Martin

• Mike Kujbida

December 19, 2012 at 2:36 pm

[Martin Phillips] “This is making more sense now…. one way around it i guess would be to get the channel 2 audio directly from their mixing desk.”

If you can do it, that way is the best.
    I like to take an AUX out from their mixer with (hopefully) only the music feed assigned to that AUX.
    Make sure they tape it or somehow secure it so that it doesn’t get bumped during the festivities.
    AUX outs are usually at line level (either +4 or -10) so make sure your gear can handle it.
    Make sure you have every kind of audio adapter cables with you and do some tests beforehand to ensure that you’re getting a good audio level to your camera.

• Martin Phillips

December 19, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Thanks Mike – sound advice (pun intended !!!). Regards Martin

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy