Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Telestream Live streaming

• Live streaming

Craig Seeman updated 10 years, 9 months ago 7 Members · 28 Posts
  • Jeff Mack

January 12, 2009 at 5:28 am

I have been waiting for this forum to develop. I guess I will ask the question and hope for an answer.

I am interested in multi cam live switching and I see wirecast supports multiple cameras. How does this work?

Jeff

• Craig Seeman

January 12, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Wirecast can work like a video switcher. You can input cameras into your computer. The number of cameras depends on computer setup. Ideally separate firewire busses but several people have reported being able to put two DV cameras on one buss though.

Wirecast has “layers” which allows separate control of video, audio, titles, etc. You can then create “channels” (sort of like an ME on a switcher) and transition between them. There’s also an assortment of filters and the ability to do “ADO” like positioning so that you can have three cameras (or other images such as pre recorded video) on screen in various sizes for example.

Telestream has free Mac and Windows demos. It’s Watermarked and a voice reminds you it’s a demo every few seconds but you can certainly try out a setup and actually test a stream.

• Jeff Mack

January 13, 2009 at 1:03 am

Thanks for the response Craig. How about upload speeds? If I want to offer my clients a live stream from their site and they have DSL, is that sufficient for 1 or two cameras? How about native HDV? Also, I suppose I need a streaming provider?

Could you briefly explain the workflow IE: attach two cams and set up layers. Make graphics ahead of time. Connect to client dsl. Send feed to streaming provider. (Do I make a web page and insert code or is the page stored on their site?)

Jeff

• Craig Seeman

January 13, 2009 at 1:32 am

[Jeff Mack] “Thanks for the response Craig. How about upload speeds? If I want to offer my clients a live stream from their site and they have DSL, is that sufficient for 1 or two cameras? How about native HDV? Also, I suppose I need a streaming provider? “

You can stream from your desktop. There’s an internal server feature. Of course that won’t sustain many viewers and the number of viewers is dependent on the speed too.

The file is compressed and sent so number of cameras is more an issue of what you computer can handle than anything regarding the stream.

[Jeff Mack] “Could you briefly explain the workflow IE: attach two cams and set up layers. Make graphics ahead of time. Connect to client dsl. Send feed to streaming provider”

Hmm, the short answer is yes. I don’t get the “connect to client dsl” though. Client uses whatever they want to view but you’ll have to send a lower data rate file if they have a slower connections. You can certainly send to a streaming provider which will probably have significant capacity if you expect a significant audience.

[Jeff Mack] “(Do I make a web page and insert code or is the page stored on their site?) “

Wirecast saves a pointer file which you can embed in a web page or send via email and the person can click on it and it’ll open in Quicktime.

I’ve been thinking of making Wirecast tutorials but I did find this on the web which might give an idea of how it works.

Of course download the free trial and play. The manual is a bit “rough” in my opinion though. I hope Telestream updates it.

https://www.soundscreen.com/streaming/webcast/wirecast_tutorial/

• Jeff Mack

January 13, 2009 at 3:32 am

Thanks Craig, I’ll view the link and download. What I meant by clients connection is I am thinking of a mobile live broadcast business. I go to a club say, connect up, get onto the club’s dsl and I’m off. Right now, I am thinking of one camera (Z-1 connected to my miranda AD converter on a 50 foot bnc to my IOHD and finally to my MBP then to airport wireless to clubs dsl.

What do you think?

Jeff

• Craig Seeman

January 13, 2009 at 6:14 pm

With DSL upload you might be limited in the data rate you send but it should work. DSL connection speeds vary widely so you should do an upload speed test on location.

This is a good speed test site
    https://www.speedtest.net/index.php

If you’re using a Sony Z1 you could buy the HDV plugin for Wirecast and just go firewire in. Of course if you need the wires to run 50 feet . . . I would do a test with the AJA IO HD first just to make sure there are no kinks in the workflow. It may depending what you’re having the AJA encode to because that’s what will ultimately be fed to Wirecast and your MBP will be doing real time compression. DV in might be the least stress on the MBP.

• Jeff Mack

January 24, 2009 at 2:08 am

Craig,

One last question. If I have a setup for a live broadcast at a music studio and I come to a break, can I insert a commercial off of my FCP timeline or load a .mov into wirecast and have that audio take over so I can talk in the studio during the break and then switch back live?
    I am downloading now.

Jeff

• Craig Seeman

January 28, 2009 at 2:14 am

Wirecast certainly allows you to import video and audio. Think of it as like a switcher (both video and audio) with busses.

• Rico Mok

January 29, 2009 at 2:30 am

Dear all,

First of all I want to thank both of you two for all the post it help me allot, .

But i want to ask a few question regarding wirecast and a live shoot set up, at the moment, our school is setting up a live streaming project, mainly for sport and special events, and also we wanted a full HD work flow, the HD version will be saved locally and also sending a stream out with wirecast.

Here are the few problem that i am running into. we are currently planing to have a 4 hdv cam including two which has hd/sdi setup, but our main challenge is to get all these 4 cams connected to our main controlling MACPRO, hence we are setting it up on a football field and a large gym. using firewire is just not ideal, hence we need allot of repeater and also the wiring need to be underground so in this case it wont work.

So here my solution which i do not know will it work or not, for the first 2 to cam, Canon’s G1, with hd/sdi will be connected to a hd/sdi pci-e card, but as some member in the wirecast forum has mention they are having a trouble to do so. I am hoping they will fix it soon, or i need a workaround, as I heard you guys are using the AJA convertor box, it sound quite interesting but then it again introduce new problem, first of all as you had said, it creates a 2 sec dely would this mean it wont be in sync for my other 2 firewire cam connected, also will wirecast recognize 2 input from the single firewire which is outputting from the AJA when 2 HD/sdi is connected.

Hence this AJA is a very powerful and yet expensive is there a cheaper product that will simply feed the input instead of doing all the compression which the AJA is made for. and for the other 2 cam it will be the consumer HDV shooting wide, for those cam i am planning to use a firewire to fiber optics converter box, i have tired search google, but there dont seems to be answer whether it will work or not.

or is there other easier and cheaper solution.

Thanks Billy

• Jeff Mack

January 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Billy, I did my tests last night. First of all, I downloaded the trial version of wirecast. That has the HDV plugin. I connected 2 hdsdi cameras to my IOHD and only one cam shows up in wirecast. If I leave the aja control pane open, i can toggle between cam 1 and 2. This a very poor boy way of doing a 2 cam shoot through wirecast. In my case though, I can’t afford the alternative which is a tricasterfor $5K. That’s what you need to look into.

Jeff

Viewing 1 - 10 of 28 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy